Dress code for an open house? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Monstickers

New

Dress code for an open house?

Post by Monstickers » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 am

I'm going to be attending an open house for the law school I will be attending in the fall. Would I be overdressed if I wore a suit and tie? I'm not sure what the typical scene is like at these open houses. Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Dress code for an open house?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 am

It might depend on the school and where it is and so on. I'm pretty sure most people at my open house didn't wear a suit and tie, but it was in a really casual part of the country where half the lawyers don't always wear suits and ties. I kinda want to say that a jacket and tie wouldn't stick out but a full suit might be too formal. But YMMV.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 am

I suggest a jacket and tie but not a suit. If you get there any nobody else is wearing a tie, then stash the tie in your pocket and unbutton the top button of your shirt - instant "business casual."

Monstickers

New

Post by Monstickers » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 am

DocHawkeye wrote:I suggest a jacket and tie but not a suit. If you get there any nobody else is wearing a tie, then stash the tie in your pocket and unbutton the top button of your shirt - instant "business casual."
Oldest trick in the book! I like it. Thanks!

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:14 pm

There are very few situations, especially in academia and law where one can be "overdressed". But I think this one comes close. A suit and tie for an open house, to me, seems like you're a little too much into the idea of being a lawyer, maybe trying a little too hard. In 3+ years you'll be wearing a suit for the rest of your life. I think business casual should suffice, but to each their own, whatever makes you comfortable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:45 am

I agree that a suit and a tie would be a little overdressed. I attended the GULC admits' weekend recently and wore jeans, boots and a sweater both days and felt totally comfortable. The guys in suits looked awkward and stuck out like they thought they were attending an interview, not an open house for people who have already been admitted.

ETA: I'm a girl.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 am

dress pants ( khackis) and dress shirt- with shirt top button undone.
bring a tie if you want, and stash it in your pocket. IF you see that everyone else is wearing a tie ( i doubt it) go to the bathroom and put it on.

from what I remember, I wore a button down shirt and jeans- no one cared. YOu will only be remembered if you stick out fromthe crowd ( and not in a good way), but only a few will remember that it was you who was waay overdressed/ underdressed.

if you are still in doubt, call the school and ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”