ASW - Travel Expenses Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Eva_Bates

New

ASW - Travel Expenses

Post by Eva_Bates » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:45 pm

I was wondering about attending the "Admitted Students Weekends" at schools that are nowhere near me - at least halfway across the country. I'm thinking about the flight and sleeping arrangements for the weekend (i.e. the expensive stuff) - less about meals and miscellaneous things that are part of the 'experience'. I definitely want to be able to visit every school I consider before 'signing the dotted line', but not sure I could afford more than 1 full cross-country ASW. Is a stipend, or covering expenditures in some other way, something that a school offers, or something I can even ask for? (And if I need to ask for it: any recommendations on doing it respectfully / tactfully, when it would really be necessary for me to get there?). And does it depend in any way on my LSAT / GPA / etc? (i.e. how badly I'd imagine they actually want me to accept their admissions offer?). What normally happens for ASWs - are travel expenses in any way covered, or is this part of the sunk costs I should factor in with the application costs? (Just trying to plan in advance - thanks!)

SemperLegal

Silver

Re: ASW - Travel Expenses

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Most schools will give you a $100-200 stipend if you live out of state. It does not cover the costs, but it sure helps.

Eva_Bates

New

Re: ASW - Travel Expenses

Post by Eva_Bates » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not looking to rack up free weekend trips, I really do believe it's important to experience a school / city before committing to 3 years there, just have to plan it out in advance and even some $$ would help a lot.

Return to “Law School Visits”