PSA: do not gun during class visits

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
WalkingPlato
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby WalkingPlato » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

DMBFan wrote:Yea we had an admitted student answer a question once. That's a bad idea. But who cares if a 0L takes notes in a class or speaks to the professor after class. Seriously, you judge those kids based on that? I couldn't care less what they do, much less remember it when I see them the following year. Starting law school is an exciting time. I don't blame them for being a little over-excited.


But, don't admitted students get called on by the professor? I went to a class once and got called on without even raising my hand (Socratic method) and it was awkward.

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 pm

WalkingPlato wrote:
DMBFan wrote:Yea we had an admitted student answer a question once. That's a bad idea. But who cares if a 0L takes notes in a class or speaks to the professor after class. Seriously, you judge those kids based on that? I couldn't care less what they do, much less remember it when I see them the following year. Starting law school is an exciting time. I don't blame them for being a little over-excited.


But, don't admitted students get called on by the professor? I went to a class once and got called on without even raising my hand (Socratic method) and it was awkward.


1) Nice Necro.

2) Out That TTTT shit factory.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Necro indeed. Goddamnit I feel like a noob for posting what I did in this thread. Ah well.

Did he seriously call you by name? Because that's stupidly f*cking lame.

elliejoon
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby elliejoon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Necro indeed. Goddamnit I feel like a noob for posting what I did in this thread. Ah well.

Did he seriously call you by name? Because that's stupidly f*cking lame.


I went to visit a school in November and stayed with my 1L friend who decided to bring me to one of his classes. The professor said it was cool for me to sit in and then told me he was going to call on me, and I'm pretty sure my completely terrified face was the only reason he didn't.

Also I love this entire thread.

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Law Professors don't have much humor as a group, but he was probably joking.

User avatar
scruffy556
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby scruffy556 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 am

I went to a ASD a few weeks ago where we had a mock class. About 15 minutes into the class some cat in a suit comes flying into the room wearing a suit (of course) with a tie in the school's colors ( I'm hoping only by coincidence). He proceeds up the alley knocking by every person on the way up, chooses an aisle and shoots behind everyone as disruptively as possible and picks his seat right front and center.

At this point I'm assuming the class is going to come to a halt and the professor is going to explain this hero is a plant and that's why in law school you shouldn't show up late for class, but the prof just keeps right on going. Our protagonist then goes full gunner and raises his hand to every single question, and begins every answer with "in my experience..."

I was still hoping for there to be a moment at the end of the class when the prof was going to say "so that was your mock class and also an introduction to gunning, don't be that prick." But no, just a guy trying to get dat order of da coif locked up before day one of classes.

Scratched that school the fuck off the list, just telling myself it won't be that way where I'm going.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:28 am

scruffy556 wrote:I went to a ASD a few weeks ago where we had a mock class. About 15 minutes into the class some cat in a suit comes flying into the room wearing a suit (of course) with a tie in the school's colors ( I'm hoping only by coincidence). He proceeds up the alley knocking by every person on the way up, chooses an aisle and shoots behind everyone as disruptively as possible and picks his seat right front and center.

At this point I'm assuming the class is going to come to a halt and the professor is going to explain this hero is a plant and that's why in law school you shouldn't show up late for class, but the prof just keeps right on going. Our protagonist then goes full gunner and raises his hand to every single question, and begins every answer with "in my experience..."

I was still hoping for there to be a moment at the end of the class when the prof was going to say "so that was your mock class and also an introduction to gunning, don't be that prick." But no, just a guy trying to get dat order of da coif locked up before day one of classes.

Scratched that school the fuck off the list, just telling myself it won't be that way where I'm going.



That person would not survive three weeks at my law school. He would be socially ostracized. No one wants to deal with that bullshit.

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby eric922 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:53 pm

On the topic of gunners, in my UG con law class there was this one kid who would always try and get the professor off-topic about random legal theories and would answer with "in my experience." Even the professor got annoyed and told him to knock it off, because he didn't have time to discuss Critical Legally theory in an undergrad Con. law class. I had to talk to my professor about a test after class and he was like "do you have any other classes with Mr. X? Is he always like that?" I remember saying "well he seems to know a lot" and I love my professor's response "well he thinks he knows a lot."

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Yukos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I got cold called while visiting a real class. I didn't know the answer so it was NBD, but had I known (or at least had a decent guess), would it be gunnerish to answer? Should cold-called 0Ls automatically say "IDK"?

Yes, I realize asking this question is pretty gunnerish.

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby ironbmike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Yukos wrote:I got cold called while visiting a real class. I didn't know the answer so it was NBD, but had I known (or at least had a decent guess), would it be gunnerish to answer? Should cold-called 0Ls automatically say "IDK"?

Yes, I realize asking this question is pretty gunnerish.


Come on man

squonk
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby squonk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm

I know I'm not adding much of anything to the thread with this, but: do people really do this shit? How do you get to be in your 20s and not understand anything about social graces or just plain not being an annoying asshole.

Come to think of it, I knew a few people at my UG that loved the sounds of their own voices in class, esp. in the couple of philosophy courses I took. I imagine they'd be prime gunner material if they chose to go to law school.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 am

squonk wrote:I know I'm not adding much of anything to the thread with this, but: do people really do this shit? How do you get to be in your 20s and not understand anything about social graces or just plain not being an annoying asshole.

Come to think of it, I knew a few people at my UG that loved the sounds of their own voices in class, esp. in the couple of philosophy courses I took. I imagine they'd be prime gunner material if they chose to go to law school.



Yup. You don't magically get social graces by living longer. You have to learn them through experience.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:04 am

Yukos wrote: Should cold-called 0Ls automatically say "IDK"?


If it's a family law class, the answer is "the best interest of the child." And for con law, the answer is "Lochner." For any other class, just say, "it depends." This should get you through any question.

User avatar
TrojanHopeful
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby TrojanHopeful » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Actually, please ignore this thread. Admitted students sitting in on classes, gun on. It provides the class with some entertainment and gives us something to talk about on iMessage. In fact, when you raise your hand, you should complement that act by saying, "excuse me, Professor, I would like to add to the discussion."

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby MT Cicero » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 am

beachbum wrote:Big +1 to this. If you're an admitted student, your job is to sit quietly in your seat and soak up all the wisdom that's being dropped on that ass. Do not, ever, raise your hand, unless you have a serious emergency ("guys, the room is on fire"). You might think you're impressing the professor/students by asking a question, but rest assured that we are all judging you.


I just thought this was funny as it reminds me of our culture in a fighter squadron for young guys. The old adage is that if you are a wingman (not certified to lead a flight of two or more total jets), your verbal communication for the first 6-12 months in your first fighter squadron is limited to:

1. "2"
2. "Lead, you're on fire"
3. "I'll take the fat one"

Nothing else is permitted...

User avatar
kiwi4president
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby kiwi4president » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 am

I require moar stories.

qwertyboard
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 am

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby qwertyboard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:56 pm

chipdx wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:there was a cringe-worthy gunner at an ASW i went to last week. guy volunteered to answer EVERY question and tried to use as many legal words as possible, while also trying to split hairs re: some issues completely irrelevant to what the teacher was asking. at the end of the class, he stood up and said "THANK YOU PROFESSOR" and tried to start a slow-clap. sigh.


Ha, I was in that class. The guy that interrupted like 4 minutes into it, said nothing of substance and made a point of grovelling and introducing himself? I had to grab my eyes before they rolled out of my head.



This is just pathetic. Even if that person ends up in the top of the class he will miss employment opportunities because of his lack of social skills.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4110
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:07 am

I'm just shocked that people apparently bring their parents along. When does adolescence end these days? 30?

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Holynorth » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:39 am

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4110
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Holynorth wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I'm just shocked that people apparently bring their parents along. When does adolescence end these days? 30?


Eh, I think they have a good reason for this. I would guess that in these situations, the parents are paying for the education. Is it not in the best interest of the parent to be ok with the chosen school? If they're the ones paying, the law school also needs to convince them that it's the right choice.


I would say the student needs to convince them it's the right choice, and the parent has to believe that the student has done enough research/is mature enough to pick a good school for their goals. If the parent isn't confident that the student has done their homework/is mature enough for this sort of thing, they shouldn't be writing them an enormous check.

I think bringing your parents to an undergrad orientation smacks of immaturity and poor socialization. Doing it for law school is just ridiculous. If you're old enough to vote, enlist in the military, and buy fireworks you're old enough to go places without the parents asking questions on your behalf and keeping the mean kids away.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22778
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:58 pm

The eternal debate: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=205439&hilit=+parents

(I'm on your side.)

Schulte212
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Schulte212 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:04 pm

Just to play devil's advocate here, I find nothing wrong with taking a lot of notes in a mock class. I did it during my ASW. I had been out of school for a bit and wanted to give myself a trial run of what class is like again. I wanted the full simulated experience.

Asking questions while visiting a class is a different story, though. I wouldn't recommend that...

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Schulte212 wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here, I find nothing wrong with taking a lot of notes in a mock class. I did it during my ASW. I had been out of school for a bit and wanted to give myself a trial run of what class is like again. I wanted the full simulated experience.

Asking questions while visiting a class is a different story, though. I wouldn't recommend that...


That's fine. No one gives a crap what you do as long as its quiet. People only get mad when you take away from their time. Also, this thread gets my vote for #1 most necro'd thread.

User avatar
clay7676
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:44 am

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby clay7676 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:30 am

Who cares what visiting students do in a class? Not me. They have every right to engage in their new law school and it is a sure fire way to get your foot in the door with the law school experience/staff. Screw the peer pressured judgmental nonsense you spew, let people explore/engage to get a feel for it. Observance is the intent, but participation should be welcomed in a setting where hopefully students care about incoming 1L's. This is not high school anymore. How rude!

User avatar
mhaas
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:53 am

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby mhaas » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:01 am

clay7676 wrote:Who cares what visiting students do in a class? Not me. They have every right to engage in their new law school and it is a sure fire way to get your foot in the door with the law school experience/staff. Screw the peer pressured judgmental nonsense you spew, let people explore/engage to get a feel for it. Observance is the intent, but participation should be welcomed in a setting where hopefully students care about incoming 1L's. This is not high school anymore. How rude!


http://lawschooliswhywecanthavenicethin ... ce-things/




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests