PSA: do not gun during class visits

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
clone22

PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby clone22 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Public service announcement. If you are an admitted student and are sitting in on a class, please do not go on a 10 minute discussion with the professor about the technicalities of criminal law if other students are waiting to ask questions after class. You won't get any benefit from the intricacies of the questions (you'll forget all this come time for crim law next year), and other law students might have just a brief period of time between classes.

Also makes you look like an annoying gunner before you are even a 1L, and if you end up attending the said institution, you will have a reputation among upperclassmen that you're an annoying gunner from day 1. It is a rebuttable presumption, but the ball would be in your court to prove you're not annoying as hell, which is not a position you want to be in on day one.

if this sounds douchy, I apologize. Also you won't have time to sleep, so enjoy it while you can.

Nova

Re: PSA: do not gun during class visits

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 pm

LOL @ gunning at ASW. Im guessing you had a personal experiance?

I heard about a parent gunning one time. How embarrassing.

Luckily, everyone sitting in on the lecture I went to kept their mouth shut. As they should.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Big +1 to this. If you're an admitted student, your job is to sit quietly in your seat and soak up all the wisdom that's being dropped on that ass. Do not, ever, raise your hand, unless you have a serious emergency ("guys, the room is on fire"). You might think you're impressing the professor/students by asking a question, but rest assured that we are all judging you.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Just posted the other day about a visiting student who volunteered to answer a question in my con law class. Don't be that guy. Also, don't take notes during the mock class. You just look like a tool and believe me, people will remember you.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Last edited by horrorbusiness on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:there was a cringe-worthy gunner at an ASW i went to last week. guy volunteered to answer EVERY question and tried to use as many legal words as possible, while also trying to split hairs re: some issues completely irrelevant to what the teacher was asking. at the end of the class, he stood up and said "THANK YOU PROFESSOR" and tried to start a slow-clap. sigh.

:shock: What is this I don't even...wait, yeah I do, its bergers.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:there was a cringe-worthy gunner at an ASW i went to last week. guy volunteered to answer EVERY question and tried to use as many legal words as possible, while also trying to split hairs re: some issues completely irrelevant to what the teacher was asking. at the end of the class, he stood up and said "THANK YOU PROFESSOR" and tried to start a slow-clap. sigh.

lol good god. :roll:

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:00 pm

well, to be fair, it was a mock class at the ASW. not a class with actual law students in it. but still, the guy was insufferable.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Is this for real? WhereTF do these people come from?

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:21 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Also, don't take notes during the mock class. You just look like a tool and believe me, people will remember you.

i sat next to two of these people, one at an ASD and another at a class visit.

like, wut?

chipdx

Postby chipdx » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Ha, I was in that class. The guy that interrupted like 4 minutes into it, said nothing of substance and made a point of grovelling and introducing himself? I had to grab my eyes before they rolled out of my head.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:15 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Just posted the other day about a visiting student who volunteered to answer a question in my con law class. Don't be that guy. Also, don't take notes during the mock class. You just look like a tool and believe me, people will remember you.

There was someone taking incessant notes during our mock class. It was quite funny.

Also, props to the people at my ASW for not raising their hands during the real class and leaving that up to the real students. There were some serious gunners at our ASW that would go up to professors and you could just smell the desperation from miles away. They wanted to be known before setting foot on campus and I have a feeling they will but not for the right reasons.

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:15 pm

chipdx wrote:

Ha, I was in that class. The guy that interrupted like 4 minutes into it, said nothing of substance and made a point of grovelling and introducing himself? I had to grab my eyes before they rolled out of my head.

What school? I might have been there, too?

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:
chipdx wrote:

I did not really remember the clapping at first, but thinking back, I think we were all at the same ASD.

chipdx

Postby chipdx » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:
chipdx wrote:

UCLA, class where we talked about bikes and the RKO case

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:30 pm

chipdx wrote:
Golden Bear 11 wrote:
chipdx wrote:

UCLA, class where we talked about bikes and the RKO case

haha yup, that's the one. :mrgreen:

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:33 pm

I wish these kids would come out to defend themselves. I know they're reading this right now.

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:45 pm

haha yup, that's the one. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Yup, I was there, too

chipdx

Postby chipdx » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:48 pm

beachbum wrote:I wish these kids would come out to defend themselves. I know they're reading this right now.

"SORRY I'M NOT SORRY YOLSO (You Only Law School Once) GUNNERZ 4 LYFE"--Probably

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:52 pm

beachbum wrote:I wish these kids would come out to defend themselves. I know they're reading this right now.

Honestly, I just knew more than the stupid kids in the class. I was trying to help them out.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:

Honestly, I just knew more than the stupid kids in the class. I was trying to help them out.

chipdx wrote:

"SORRY I'M NOT SORRY YOLSO (You Only Law School Once) GUNNERZ 4 LYFE"--Probably

i likes both of these

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:40 pm

some guy who wasn't on an official asw, was sitting in on my contracts class. the prof can be funny sometimes but he throws a lot of jokes out there throughout the whole period everyday. This sitting in the back laughed louder than anyone has the whole year at every single joke. And he was taking notes during the class.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:45 pm

This thread is some sort of elaborate flame right? Nobody could actually do that.

TBF - I'm fine with kids taking notes, it's an active listening technique. Hell, I'd even be fine with them asking questions after the class. But during??? that's gotta be a joke.

RedHouse1967

Postby RedHouse1967 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Had one today who both asked and answered a question. When answering, she confidently supported her conclusion with normative statements rather than the relevant law.

It was glorious.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:03 pm

JoeMo wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Just posted the other day about a visiting student who volunteered to answer a question in my con law class. Don't be that guy. Also, don't take notes during the mock class. You just look like a tool and believe me, people will remember you.

There was someone taking incessant notes during our mock class. It was quite funny.

Also, props to the people at my ASW for not raising their hands during the real class and leaving that up to the real students. There were some serious gunners at our ASW that would go up to professors and you could just smell the desperation from miles away. They wanted to be known before setting foot on campus and I have a feeling they will but not for the right reasons.

Also, that same student was laughing at other students whose answer was not entirely correct. Douche to the max.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”