Travel Stipend Stipulations? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
cylon_clone

Bronze

Travel Stipend Stipulations?

Post by cylon_clone » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Many schools will reimburse you for out-of-state flights for ASW or ASD. But, is there a deadline when I'd have to fly back home in order to receive the stipend for a round-trip ticket?

For example: Berkeley provides a $300 OOS stipend. You have to provide an itinerary to get reimbursed. What if I decided to stay in California for an extra 2 weeks after ASW before flying back home? I have other things I need to do in the area and it doesn't make sense to fly cross-country only to return a week later.

I'm concerned some schools may look at this as students who have no interest in the school just trying to get a free vacation out of the process (not the case here).

landla

Bronze

Re: Travel Stipend Stipulations?

Post by landla » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:15 pm

If you explain that you are staying to explore the area/get a better feel and look into housing, you should be okay (IMO). I've seen that others do things like this. Some of the schools I'm looking at only have one day ASD, so I'm planning to be there more than just that day (and expect a stipend still).

operagrl71

New

Post by operagrl71 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:50 am

Related question: what about going directly from one ASW to another...current plan is to go to NYC for Columbia's ASW then directly to Chicago for U. Chi's ASW, but I'm not really sure how well this would go over with each school for stipend purposes - thoughts?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:15 am

landla wrote:If you explain that you are staying to explore the area/get a better feel and look into housing, you should be okay (IMO). I've seen that others do things like this. Some of the schools I'm looking at only have one day ASD, so I'm planning to be there more than just that day (and expect a stipend still).
TITCR...spin it into a positive for the school. IMO, staying around to look at housing makes you look more diligent and serious about the school. You also look like you may be more likely to go if admitted. Be sure to visit the school once or twice during your extended visit, especially at the end. Talk to an admissions staffer. Have a list of questions derived from the things you learn about the city and school, and ask them during your second or third visit.

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:20 am

operagrl71 wrote:Related question: what about going directly from one ASW to another...current plan is to go to NYC for Columbia's ASW then directly to Chicago for U. Chi's ASW, but I'm not really sure how well this would go over with each school for stipend purposes - thoughts?
Be careful with this. If you ask for and receive a stipend from Columbia, you're obligated to stay until around 5pm on the 2nd day of the program. There will probably be a closing reception with students and professors at Columbia that will go past this time. Because of the way travel is in NYC, that would probably mean you couldn't get on a flight to Chicago until 7:30 or 8pm, which would mean missing the welcome reception and other events on the first day at Chicago. I don't think Chicago's stipend has caveats associated with it, but you might want to call the admissions office before you book a flight.

I don't know of a better way to do it than the way you suggested if you want to visit both schools during their ASWs, but just be aware that you may have to sacrifice a bit at either school in order to make it to both schools. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”