Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
cylon_clone

Bronze

Re: Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you?

Post by cylon_clone » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 pm

I gave my mom a choice of up to 2 ASDs she could attend (since I'll be going to several) - leaving out the potentially fun ones (ie: those located in California, New York and DC).

It's okay to let them go to one or two schools that you're seriously thinking about. They can help you in your decision if you are unsure (if you are sure, then ignore their unsolicited advice). And since many are clueless about the law school process, the information sessions - esp. the financial ones - can be informative for them as well.

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 am

I was at one last week, and during the Q&A sections the parents asked about 90% of the questions, and most of them were stupid and embarrassing for their kid.

Bring your parents on an individual visit, let them ask all the questions they want. If they've helped pay for your education, they deserve to know about where you are going to school. ASDs and ASWs? No way, that's on the student.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:59 pm

I only saw 2 sets of parents at the UVA ASD and they stuck out like sore thumbs. One parent came to the mock class and his cell started ringing while the prof was talking and it took him forever to search his bag and find it. Then it rang again. His daughter looked pretty embarrassed.

The biggest thing, like other people have pointed out, is that it really depends on you and your parents. One set of parents spent the whole day with their daughter and seemed to be happy talking to each other about the school, so that worked. The guy with the ringing phone followed his kid awkwardly around and played on his ipad during the mock class.

EDIT: Gotta agree with checkster, I brought my mom on an individual visit weeks before the ASD and that was much less awkward.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:30 pm

I was at the UVA ASW and I saw parents everywhere. I dno where the above poster was at, but...there were parents in all directions. It was one of the main reasons I disliked the experience in the first place.

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 pm

no one really gives a shit but it might be awkward when your trying to socialize with ppl during lunch or something

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:I was at the UVA ASW and I saw parents everywhere. I dno where the above poster was at, but...there were parents in all directions. It was one of the main reasons I disliked the experience in the first place.
Well, there were over 300 students at the ASW (or something close to that), so it's possible that we saw completely different groups of people throughout. I only really noticed a pair of Hispanic parents with their daughter and an older bald gentleman who I believe was following around his daughter. There was a lot going on throughout the day, so I guess it's possible that I missed a good number of parents, but I don't think there was a huge number.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 pm

envisciguy wrote:I only saw 2 sets of parents at the UVA ASD and they stuck out like sore thumbs. One parent came to the mock class and his cell started ringing while the prof was talking and it took him forever to search his bag and find it. Then it rang again. His daughter looked pretty embarrassed.

The biggest thing, like other people have pointed out, is that it really depends on you and your parents. One set of parents spent the whole day with their daughter and seemed to be happy talking to each other about the school, so that worked. The guy with the ringing phone followed his kid awkwardly around and played on his ipad during the mock class.

EDIT: Gotta agree with checkster, I brought my mom on an individual visit weeks before the ASD and that was much less awkward.
In that class. Super awkward

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:19 pm

I have been at NYU/Columbia/Penn ASWs, and there were a couple parents at each. Definitely not the norm, but not totally out of the ordinary either.

CattyPake

New

Post by CattyPake » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:17 pm

At the Minnesota visit day there was a girl who brought her mom and her boyfriend. They followed her everywhere, including into the classrooms for small group sessions. During one talk, the BF kept massaging her back.
I think bringing one person is fine but two or more = weird entourage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 pm

CattyPake wrote:At the Minnesota visit day there was a girl who brought her mom and her boyfriend. They followed her everywhere, including into the classrooms for small group sessions. During one talk, the BF kept massaging her back.
I think bringing one person is fine but two or more = weird entourage.

what in the ...

traynorsbizarro

New

Post by traynorsbizarro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:23 pm

heres the real deal y'all. take your parents with you. shit, take your entire extended family. cause in the end, family tis the only thing that matters. you got to leave those ideas of how ppl will perceive yall at the door. dude, my great aunty was sitting in the hallway on her lil robowheelchair outside my torts exam, and you what? i got the best grade in the class. i used to bring my nephews into lectures and have them raise they lil hands up to ask kingsley ?s and shit.

"always love your mother cause you never get another"----living proof.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 pm

traynorsbizarro wrote:heres the real deal y'all. take your parents with you. shit, take your entire extended family. cause in the end, family tis the only thing that matters. you got to leave those ideas of how ppl will perceive yall at the door. dude, my great aunty was sitting in the hallway on her lil robowheelchair outside my torts exam, and you what? i got the best grade in the class. i used to bring my nephews into lectures and have them raise they lil hands up to ask kingsley ?s and shit.

wat

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 pm

vpintz wrote:
traynorsbizarro wrote:heres the real deal y'all. take your parents with you. shit, take your entire extended family. cause in the end, family tis the only thing that matters. you got to leave those ideas of how ppl will perceive yall at the door. dude, my great aunty was sitting in the hallway on her lil robowheelchair outside my torts exam, and you what? i got the best grade in the class. i used to bring my nephews into lectures and have them raise they lil hands up to ask kingsley ?s and shit.

wat

Share that weed, dude.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 am

Do not bring them. If they want to come, they can tour the campus with you later but not at the events. Or they can help you move in in the fall and check things out then if they are helping to pay for it or whatever. To bring them to the actual ASW events is just not a great idea.

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 am

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 pm

There were a few parents/random friends of people at the Hastings ASD. Thankfully, they all seemed well behaved.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:45 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:I found it strange that so many parents were at ASW. My parents never gave a shit about my education, so I guess it is different when they do?? Still, so many awkward moments were abound.

During the student panel discussion one parent asked about what would happen if a student failed a class --well I'm a professor and we do it like this so why don't you... It was a painful 5 min exchange and really embarrassed the student/child. At that point the student was bright red and had to crack a joke about low expectations to clear the air. I was so :shock:.
There is literally no way my parents could embarrass me at an ASW, not around a bunch of prospective law students I don't respect to begin with. That said, I wouldn't bring my parents to an ASW (because they would probably be even more bored than I am). Mostly, I just sit there feeling bad for myself and everyone else. Like a bunch of buffalo knowingly being led off a cliff.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:24 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:I found it strange that so many parents were at ASW. My parents never gave a shit about my education, so I guess it is different when they do?? Still, so many awkward moments were abound.

During the student panel discussion one parent asked about what would happen if a student failed a class --well I'm a professor and we do it like this so why don't you... It was a painful 5 min exchange and really embarrassed the student/child. At that point the student was bright red and had to crack a joke about low expectations to clear the air. I was so :shock:.
There is literally no way my parents could embarrass me at an ASW, not around a bunch of prospective law students I don't respect to begin with. That said, I wouldn't bring my parents to an ASW (because they would probably be even more bored than I am). Mostly, I just sit there feeling bad for myself and everyone else. Like a bunch of buffalo knowingly being led off a cliff.
You are either aspie, or in for a huge shock.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:47 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:There is literally no way my parents could embarrass me at an ASW, not around a bunch of prospective law students I don't respect to begin with. That said, I wouldn't bring my parents to an ASW (because they would probably be even more bored than I am). Mostly, I just sit there feeling bad for myself and everyone else. Like a bunch of buffalo knowingly being led off a cliff.
Are you actively trying to avoid making any friends (or at the very least, acquaintances who don't hate you so much that they won't share their class notes) for three years or something?

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:08 am

There were a LOT of parents at Maryland ASD yesterday. If I had to guess, I would say 75% had parents.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:37 am

Guchster wrote:A soccer mom at our ASD was just walking around the different student org tables at lunch and writing down the name of different ones.

I asked her if she was interested in the group I was tabling for, and she said she was taking down the names of organizations she wanted her daughter to be involved in.
zOMG, you must hate your own mummy and daddy if you can't appreciate this mother's desire to contribute to her daughter's lawl school experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:07 am

dresden doll wrote:
Guchster wrote:A soccer mom at our ASD was just walking around the different student org tables at lunch and writing down the name of different ones.

I asked her if she was interested in the group I was tabling for, and she said she was taking down the names of organizations she wanted her daughter to be involved in.
zOMG, you must hate your own mummy and daddy if you can't appreciate this mother's desire to contribute to her daughter's lawl school experience.
people don't need to act on every desire that they have. It's called restraint.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Let's say that, someday, a child of mine is crazy enough to want to go to law school. They have an ASD to attend. I would not attend. If asked, I would certainly not attend. Family connection is one thing. Learning how to do your own damn networking and choose your own damn career path is important. Being at an ASD is a constant networking and evaluation period. If your parents are there, you are talking to them and eating with them instead of fully immersing yourself into the school.

My parents did it right. I'm not a k-JD. They didn't go to any ASDs and didn't expect to. We talked several times when I was deciding what school to go to. Once I decided, my dad and I flew out to check out the campus and go apartment hunting.

If your parents are paying and insist, then fine. You still won't get the same sense of what going to that school will actually be like, but life is full of compromises. I can't think of any other reason to do it. Except the person whose parent had cancer. Then it's a no brainier that time with parents trumps time with classmates.

spleenworship

Gold

Re: Is it weird to have your parents at AspieFest 2012! with you

Post by spleenworship » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Some mod did awesome with this thread.

ETA: why can't I use the word job anymore? Is it just for April fools?

Dany

Diamond

Re: Is it weird to have your parents at AspieFest 2012! with you

Post by Dany » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:There is literally no way my parents could embarrass me at an AspieFest 2012!, not around a bunch of prospective law students I don't respect to begin with. That said, I wouldn't bring my parents to an AspieFest 2012! (because they would probably be even more bored than I am). Mostly, I just sit there feeling bad for myself and everyone else. Like a bunch of buffalo knowingly being led off a cliff.
Are you actively trying to avoid making any friends (or at the very least, acquaintances who don't hate you so much that they won't share their class notes) for three years or something?
He has a point. Law students are terrible people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”