Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
ThatGuyWithTheFace

New

Re: Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you?

Post by ThatGuyWithTheFace » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 am

I think it's ridiculous to have your parents with you. It strikes me as really immature, even childish, and definitely not professional. You're in your 20's.

Bring them with you if you want, let them check out the town, but don't bring them to school sponsored events.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:09 pm

ThatGuyWithTheFace wrote:Bring them with you if you want, let them check out the town, but don't bring them to school sponsored events.
This is generally TCR, in my opinion.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Re: Is it weird to have your parents at AspieFest 2012! with you

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Dany wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:There is literally no way my parents could embarrass me at an AspieFest 2012!, not around a bunch of prospective law students I don't respect to begin with. That said, I wouldn't bring my parents to an AspieFest 2012! (because they would probably be even more bored than I am). Mostly, I just sit there feeling bad for myself and everyone else. Like a bunch of buffalo knowingly being led off a cliff.
Are you actively trying to avoid making any friends (or at the very least, acquaintances who don't hate you so much that they won't share their class notes) for three years or something?
He has a point. Law students are terrible people.
Also, I fail to see how being unembarrassed by my parents constitutes "actively" avoiding law students. I'm not going to be unfriendly to them, or tell them I don't respect them.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:26 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
Dany wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:There is literally no way my parents could embarrass me at an AspieFest 2012!, not around a bunch of prospective law students I don't respect to begin with. That said, I wouldn't bring my parents to an AspieFest 2012! (because they would probably be even more bored than I am). Mostly, I just sit there feeling bad for myself and everyone else. Like a bunch of buffalo knowingly being led off a cliff.
Are you actively trying to avoid making any friends (or at the very least, acquaintances who don't hate you so much that they won't share their class notes) for three years or something?
He has a point. Law students are terrible people.
Also, I fail to see how being unembarrassed by my parents constitutes "actively" avoiding law students. I'm not going to be unfriendly to them, or tell them I don't respect them.
Your future classmates could potentially figure out who you are IRL from your posts here. It has happened before.
Anyway, you don't think they'll be able to tell that you don't respect them? Newsflash: people who go around thinking they are better than everyone around them are pretty obvious.

Plus, not respecting other potential law students just because they're doing exactly what you're doing is a pretty dick move. What makes you better than them?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Your future classmates could potentially figure out who you are IRL from your posts here. It has happened before.
Anyway, you don't think they'll be able to tell that you don't respect them? Newsflash: people who go around thinking they are better than everyone around them are pretty obvious.

Plus, not respecting other potential law students just because they're doing exactly what you're doing is a pretty dick move. What makes you better than them?
Incorrectly assumes he respects himself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:36 pm

Dany wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Your future classmates could potentially figure out who you are IRL from your posts here. It has happened before.

Just for the record: I don't think I'm better than other law students.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Only acceptable reason to bring them is if they're footing the bill for either the travel or some significant part of law school. Even then, I think it's best that they don't come to the actual event unless you feel it's necessary to convince them that you want to go there (and therefore, their financial investment is worthwhile). Have them travel with you, then they can check out the city while you do the ASW, and then at some point, walk around the campus together to share thoughts/feelings about what you like about this school.

If they're not investing money into your law school career, bringing them to ASW is weird. They can come visit you when you've actually decided on a law school and are in October of 1L.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:52 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
Dany wrote:

Just for the record: I don't think I'm better than other law students.
Then why wouldn't you give them some respect?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Because law students suck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:57 pm

It doesn't really matter if they are there with you or not. Doesn't bother me either way. What DOES bother me is when your mom peppers me with questions because I'm not straight out of undergrad and I've worked in the field I plan on returning to after I graduate (especially given the fact that this school didn't have the foresight to supply coffee for much needed caffeine fixes such as mine). How the hell would I know what X school has to offer? I'm a "prospective" just like your daughter. Go ask one of the people in the red shirts.

/rant

Lily Pad

New

Post by Lily Pad » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm

At one ASD, I ended up sitting next to a girl who I tried to strike up a conversation with while we were waiting for the program to start. Turns out the guy sitting next to her was her dad, and he just completely took over the conversation while she sat in the middle of us completely silent. It was so awkward.

wolfmalfoy

New

Post by wolfmalfoy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 pm

------
Last edited by wolfmalfoy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:27 pm

wolfmalfoy wrote:If you're paying for law school completely on your own with no contribution from your parents then yes, it is weird. It's your money and your decision. You can choose to listen to their advise, and if you want them to come along that's great, if not then you don't have to let them.
If they are making a significant contribution to your tuition and want to come along it is perfectly acceptable to bring them. They're making an investment in you and ultimately deserve to to see where their money is going. A couple people were whinging about how this is your decision even if they're paying for it, and to a certain extent that really isn't true, if they're committing to it financially they deserve to be involved, whether you like it or not. It's THEIR money, not yours, and it definitely comes with strings attached. Either suck it up and let mummy or daddy tag along or pay for it yourself.
Or, alternatively, if your parents want to help you they could have some effing faith in your decision making capabilities and deal with it.

How bad a parent were/are you that you don't trust your kid to make major life decisions with intelligence and reasonable judgement? This isn't undergrad where your 17-18 year old is going out on their own for the first effing time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wolfmalfoy

New

Post by wolfmalfoy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:19 pm

-----
Last edited by wolfmalfoy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:26 pm

spleenworship wrote: Then why wouldn't you give them some respect?
Assuming respect should be freely given.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:45 pm

wolfmalfoy wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
Or, alternatively, if your parents want to help you they could have some effing faith in your decision making capabilities and deal with it.

How bad a parent were/are you that you don't trust your kid to make major life decisions with intelligence and reasonable judgement? This isn't undergrad where your 17-18 year old is going out on their own for the first effing time.
I think you completely missed the point I was trying to make. (Also, I'm not a parent you moron, as your post seemed to imply) It isn't about your parents trusting you or not trusting you, it's about the fact that if they're making a financial contribution with their money they deserve to see where it's going. Lose your sense of entitlement, the money doesn't belong to you, it belongs to them and they get to choose what to do with it, not you. Would you entrust your money someplace or make an investment in something you weren't sure about? No, so don't expect your parents to do the same if they're going to help you out. If they want to blindly shell out money so you can go wherever the hell you want then that's their issue, but don't get pissed off just because your parents essentially want to be informed purchasers.

And you missed my point: your parents should trust you to spend their money wisely if they raised you well. And I did not intend to imply you were a parent... moron.
Last edited by spleenworship on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:46 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
spleenworship wrote: Then why wouldn't you give them some respect?
Assuming respect should be freely given.
Yes I do, unless someone gives you a reason to take it away. Try it, you might like it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:54 pm

Dany wrote:Because law students suck.

I dunno... I think the 0Ls are worse than the law students, personally.

wolfmalfoy

New

Post by wolfmalfoy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:34 pm

-----
Last edited by wolfmalfoy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:56 pm

wolfmalfoy wrote:
Raising you well has nothing to do with it, and your parents are under no obligation whatsoever to trust you. It's their money. Their money from their job or inheritance = they decide what to do with it. Your money from your job or trust fund = you decide what to do with it. If you can not otherwise afford to pay and your parents are willing to step up and help you, then quite frankly you should be grateful. Making petty demands of someone financially supporting you sounds like a pretty good way to get cut off.
Petty demands like "Please help me pay to make something of myself in a profession where the tuition has risen approximately 1000% since you had this option, mostly as part of a ploy to ensure your generation has a shitload of tenure track spots, and to keep paying into social security for your parents who will continue to vote against me getting grants or other education while continuing to vote to maintain their social security and other entitlements that benefit them and their poor choices regarding retirement savings?" or "If you don't help me I'll have to take ruinous loans, loans that your generation didn't really have to deal with, and that will likely be held against me on the C&F portion of the bar, the committee being run by a-holes of your generation that are totally out of touch with the reality on the ground?"

No wait... those aren't the petty demands we are talking about. We are talking about saying to your parents: "Hey, I am going to my ASD. I'll bring you back some literature. When I am done, I'd love to give you a tour if I attend."

Also, how many parents are knowledgable enough about the profession or legal education to even be able to see past the BS of ASD to actually know what is or isn't important? The most likely ones who can (lawyers) already know, and don't need to go. The rest just get in the way and make decisions about where they want to spend their money based on things like "OMG honey, did you see that your school is ranked #1 in INTERNATIONAL LAW??!?!?!!! Isn't that amazing! You so need to go to Cooley honey! #1 in International Bird Law!!! And their facilities are so nice! Where do they get that money, do you think?"

applesoranges123

New

Post by applesoranges123 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:17 am

Is it weird to have your parents help you with moving in and stuff at the end of August if you're living in law school housing, or visiting you in the dorms, etc. To me, personally, I think there is nothing weird at all about this, but just wondering...I would definitely not bring them to ASW events with me though..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:37 am

applesoranges123 wrote:Is it weird to have your parents help you with moving in and stuff at the end of August if you're living in law school housing, or visiting you in the dorms, etc. To me, personally, I think there is nothing weird at all about this, but just wondering...I would definitely not bring them to ASW events with me though..
Decidedly not weird if you are moving far for school.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:48 am

applesoranges123 wrote:Is it weird to have your parents help you with moving in and stuff at the end of August if you're living in law school housing, or visiting you in the dorms, etc. To me, personally, I think there is nothing weird at all about this, but just wondering...I would definitely not bring them to ASW events with me though..
Nothing weird about that at all.

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:58 pm

its fine, especially if your in the south, we care about family

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:59 pm

imbored25 wrote:its fine, especially if your in the south, we care about family
But not grammar, apparently.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”