When to visit?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
jared6180

When to visit?

Postby jared6180 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Is there a particular time that is better than others to visit a school to which I plan to apply this Fall?

rinkrat19

Re: When to visit?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:41 am

During the school year, and not during finals? (check the academic calendar)

Contact the admissions office of the school and ask what they recommend.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:53 am

rinkrat19 wrote:During the school year, and not during finals? (check the academic calendar)

I was planning on doing all of mine this summer. I go to undergrad in the midwest, but live on the east coast and am applying to mainly all east coast schools, it's really the only feasible time to visit. They'll still have tours in the summer right? I'd say I'm visiting equally to 1) see the school, 2) demonstrate interest. Even during undergrad visits, I never really cared about seeing the actual students. I felt like I could get a good vibe just from the setting and such.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:57 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:During the school year, and not during finals? (check the academic calendar)

I was planning on doing all of mine this summer. I go to undergrad in the midwest, but live on the east coast and am applying to mainly all east coast schools, it's really the only feasible time to visit. They'll still have tours in the summer right? I'd say I'm visiting equally to 1) see the school, 2) demonstrate interest. Even during undergrad visits, I never really cared about seeing the actual students. I felt like I could get a good vibe just from the setting and such.
I imagine it depends on the school. If there are summer classes, then summer's probably like any other term. Obviously it's impossible to sit in on a class if class is not in session. If a school uses students as tour guides and there are no students on campus, they may not give tours.

I know at least one school that doesn't do visits on weekends, spring break or holidays. So you'd be wise to check with each school. A lot of schools' websites have a 'Visit' page with information or a contact form, or just find a general admissions email address.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:39 am

I would like to sit in on a class if possible, so I was thinking Feb/March/April might be a good time, but I have noticed more Admitted Student days during April. May is finals time, and frankly, I would not want students visiting my 1L classes at that time of the semester.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”