Visiting before ASW? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
MissMock

New

Visiting before ASW?

Post by MissMock » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 am

This might be a silly question, but do admitted students typically visit before ASW (as in January-March) or is ASW usually the first time most students visit the law school? I really want to narrow down my options before March/April, and I feel as if I can't do that without visiting the schools. But I don't know if that would be a waste of time when I can just go to ASW.

Any thoughts or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

landla

Bronze

Re: Visiting before ASW?

Post by landla » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 pm

I think it largely depends upon the ease of visiting. I will likely be visiting those schools that are likely and nearby for ASW and before, to get a sense of the campus without the sales pitch, but not the same for those farther away.

MissMock

New

Post by MissMock » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:27 pm

That's a very good idea... I didn't think about the fact that the general vibe of campus is going to be much different on a regular day than on ASW. Thank you.

Other opinions?

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:54 pm

MissMock wrote:That's a very good idea... I didn't think about the fact that the general vibe of campus is going to be much different on a regular day than on ASW. Thank you.

Other opinions?
Well ASW gives you the opportunity to see potential future classmates. But I don't think there's anything wrong with going early. I too want to make a decision soon and one of the schools doesn't have its asw unitl the end of March, and I really just want to figure out where I'm going so I can prepare.

So yeah I think if you're close to the campus it would be a good idea to go earlier so that you can begin making this decision.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Personally, I want to visit before ASW just to get a different feel for the campus. I can't imagine ASW is going to give the same representation as just sitting in on a class and taking a tour with maybe a few other people.

If it's possible/easy for you to do so, I'd recommend it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChristFirst

New

Post by ChristFirst » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:14 am

MissMock wrote:That's a very good idea... I didn't think about the fact that the general vibe of campus is going to be much different on a regular day than on ASW. Thank you.

Other opinions?
Agreed. If it's financially feasible for you, then visit early. I think actually seeing the law school helps the most during decision-making, especially if you're spending 3 years of your life there

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 pm

mmmm kinda want to adjust my answer after I just visited a school before ASW

Go if it's easy to do so, otherwise, it's probably not worth it. I went to a nearby one and thought it was alright but didn't learn anything more than how nice the staff was...heh.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:52 pm

If you make individual visit to Penn, you can attend 2-3 1L classes and have one of us take you to lunch on the school, it's different than ASW and should be a pleasant experience. You get to see panels and presentations at ASW, you get more personal closed up view when you visit on your own

myselfersonEsq

New

Post by myselfersonEsq » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Anyone who wants to be a rich lawyer knows better than to ask questions before visiting anything. You go there. And then you ask questions later--

if at all.

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 pm

My experience is that you get a lot of individualized attention if you go before ASW. I think this can be good or bad depending on you personality, but it worked out pretty nicely for me. It can get a little intense though. Since so many of the ASWs are on the same weekend, I've had to visit a lot of places early.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”