Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
andanother

New

Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Post by andanother » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Like some other folks, I have been admitted to and am considering both Berkeley and Stanford. And I was pleased that their Admitted Students Weekends are adjacent. Makes traveling to that neck of the woods far more efficient.

The question is this: Is it possible/appropriate to avail oneself of travel reimbursements from both schools ($400 from Stanford and $300 from Berkeley) for only a single plane ticket? (I plan to take advantage of the intervening week to get to know California.) It would actually help me cover my hotel costs...

matvei

New

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Post by matvei » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:17 pm

andanother wrote:Like some other folks, I have been admitted to and am considering both Berkeley and Stanford. And I was pleased that their Admitted Students Weekends are adjacent. Makes traveling to that neck of the woods far more efficient.

The question is this: Is it possible/appropriate to avail oneself of travel reimbursements from both schools ($400 from Stanford and $300 from Berkeley) for only a single plane ticket? (I plan to take advantage of the intervening week to get to know California.) It would actually help me cover my hotel costs...
Don't even think about doing this. Not even close to ethical or appropriate.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:29 pm

matvei wrote:
andanother wrote:Like some other folks, I have been admitted to and am considering both Berkeley and Stanford. And I was pleased that their Admitted Students Weekends are adjacent. Makes traveling to that neck of the woods far more efficient.

Oh bullshit. It's a travel reimbursement and can be used for any travel expenses, not just airfare. This includes hotels, food, car rental, whatever. If it doesn't explicitly say it's solely for airfare, I say go for it.

matvei

New

Post by matvei » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:58 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
matvei wrote:

Oh bullshit. It's a travel reimbursement and can be used for any travel expenses, not just airfare. This includes hotels, food, car rental, whatever. If it doesn't explicitly say it's solely for airfare, I say go for it.
Berkeley's for one decidedly does say it is.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Yes it would be unethical IMO. Also, why is this even an issue? Go to Stanford.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:08 pm

matvei wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
matvei wrote:

Berkeley's for one decidedly does say it is.
So you use Berkeley for airfare and Stanford for hotel/other travel. A trip out to California can easily be more than $300-400. Airfare from the East Coast is $300-500 at a minimum.

I do agree with Chimp though.

Ofta3184

New

Post by Ofta3184 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Hell, you paid $200 ($112 for stanford alone) in app fees for them to take a look at your app for 5 minutes--that's unethical to me. Take both reimbursements; Berkeley is far enough from stanford for the extra $$$ to be useful

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Just don't use both reimbursements for the same expenses. It is not unethical to submi separate expenses. Some people on this board act as if they are genuinely clueless smh. You're spending two weekends in CA. Submit airfare to the first school & pay out of pocket for lodging then rent a car to get to the second school & submit the rental and the second hotel fees to the second school because they are legitimate fees relating to that second visit.

Seriously, this is common sense.

andanother

New

Post by andanother » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. I agree that using both fund sources to cover the same costs twice is a no-no.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Stanford’s reimbursement money can only be used for airfare costs, as well. No hotels.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:08 pm

AmandaPB wrote:Stanford’s reimbursement money can only be used for airfare costs, as well. No hotels.
Solution: Berkeley pays for the first class ticket there and Stanford pays for the first class ticket back.

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:21 am

bk187 wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:Stanford’s reimbursement money can only be used for airfare costs, as well. No hotels.
Solution: Berkeley pays for the first class ticket there and Stanford pays for the first class ticket back.
good thought, but SLS pays for coach only. lol.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:25 am

1212 wrote:good thought, but SLS pays for coach only. lol.
What a TTT.

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 am

bk187 wrote:
1212 wrote:good thought, but SLS pays for coach only. lol.
What a TTT.
+1.

How their yield is so high completely baffles me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”