Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
andanother
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby andanother » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Like some other folks, I have been admitted to and am considering both Berkeley and Stanford. And I was pleased that their Admitted Students Weekends are adjacent. Makes traveling to that neck of the woods far more efficient.

The question is this: Is it possible/appropriate to avail oneself of travel reimbursements from both schools ($400 from Stanford and $300 from Berkeley) for only a single plane ticket? (I plan to take advantage of the intervening week to get to know California.) It would actually help me cover my hotel costs...

User avatar
matvei
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby matvei » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:17 pm

andanother wrote:Like some other folks, I have been admitted to and am considering both Berkeley and Stanford. And I was pleased that their Admitted Students Weekends are adjacent. Makes traveling to that neck of the woods far more efficient.

The question is this: Is it possible/appropriate to avail oneself of travel reimbursements from both schools ($400 from Stanford and $300 from Berkeley) for only a single plane ticket? (I plan to take advantage of the intervening week to get to know California.) It would actually help me cover my hotel costs...


Don't even think about doing this. Not even close to ethical or appropriate.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:29 pm

matvei wrote:
andanother wrote:Like some other folks, I have been admitted to and am considering both Berkeley and Stanford. And I was pleased that their Admitted Students Weekends are adjacent. Makes traveling to that neck of the woods far more efficient.

The question is this: Is it possible/appropriate to avail oneself of travel reimbursements from both schools ($400 from Stanford and $300 from Berkeley) for only a single plane ticket? (I plan to take advantage of the intervening week to get to know California.) It would actually help me cover my hotel costs...


Don't even think about doing this. Not even close to ethical or appropriate.


Oh bullshit. It's a travel reimbursement and can be used for any travel expenses, not just airfare. This includes hotels, food, car rental, whatever. If it doesn't explicitly say it's solely for airfare, I say go for it.

User avatar
matvei
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby matvei » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:58 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
matvei wrote:
andanother wrote:Like some other folks, I have been admitted to and am considering both Berkeley and Stanford. And I was pleased that their Admitted Students Weekends are adjacent. Makes traveling to that neck of the woods far more efficient.

The question is this: Is it possible/appropriate to avail oneself of travel reimbursements from both schools ($400 from Stanford and $300 from Berkeley) for only a single plane ticket? (I plan to take advantage of the intervening week to get to know California.) It would actually help me cover my hotel costs...


Don't even think about doing this. Not even close to ethical or appropriate.


Oh bullshit. It's a travel reimbursement and can be used for any travel expenses, not just airfare. This includes hotels, food, car rental, whatever. If it doesn't explicitly say it's solely for airfare, I say go for it.


Berkeley's for one decidedly does say it is.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby 071816 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Yes it would be unethical IMO. Also, why is this even an issue? Go to Stanford.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:08 pm

matvei wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
matvei wrote:
andanother wrote:Like some other folks, I have been admitted to and am considering both Berkeley and Stanford. And I was pleased that their Admitted Students Weekends are adjacent. Makes traveling to that neck of the woods far more efficient.

The question is this: Is it possible/appropriate to avail oneself of travel reimbursements from both schools ($400 from Stanford and $300 from Berkeley) for only a single plane ticket? (I plan to take advantage of the intervening week to get to know California.) It would actually help me cover my hotel costs...


Don't even think about doing this. Not even close to ethical or appropriate.


Oh bullshit. It's a travel reimbursement and can be used for any travel expenses, not just airfare. This includes hotels, food, car rental, whatever. If it doesn't explicitly say it's solely for airfare, I say go for it.


Berkeley's for one decidedly does say it is.


So you use Berkeley for airfare and Stanford for hotel/other travel. A trip out to California can easily be more than $300-400. Airfare from the East Coast is $300-500 at a minimum.

I do agree with Chimp though.

Ofta3184
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:33 am

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby Ofta3184 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:20 pm

andanother wrote:Like some other folks, I have been admitted to and am considering both Berkeley and Stanford. And I was pleased that their Admitted Students Weekends are adjacent. Makes traveling to that neck of the woods far more efficient.

The question is this: Is it possible/appropriate to avail oneself of travel reimbursements from both schools ($400 from Stanford and $300 from Berkeley) for only a single plane ticket? (I plan to take advantage of the intervening week to get to know California.) It would actually help me cover my hotel costs...


Hell, you paid $200 ($112 for stanford alone) in app fees for them to take a look at your app for 5 minutes--that's unethical to me. Take both reimbursements; Berkeley is far enough from stanford for the extra $$$ to be useful

User avatar
Magnifique1908
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby Magnifique1908 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Just don't use both reimbursements for the same expenses. It is not unethical to submi separate expenses. Some people on this board act as if they are genuinely clueless smh. You're spending two weekends in CA. Submit airfare to the first school & pay out of pocket for lodging then rent a car to get to the second school & submit the rental and the second hotel fees to the second school because they are legitimate fees relating to that second visit.

Seriously, this is common sense.

andanother
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby andanother » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. I agree that using both fund sources to cover the same costs twice is a no-no.

User avatar
AmandaPB
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby AmandaPB » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Stanford’s reimbursement money can only be used for airfare costs, as well. No hotels.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby bk1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:08 pm

AmandaPB wrote:Stanford’s reimbursement money can only be used for airfare costs, as well. No hotels.


Solution: Berkeley pays for the first class ticket there and Stanford pays for the first class ticket back.

User avatar
1212
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby 1212 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:21 am

bk1 wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:Stanford’s reimbursement money can only be used for airfare costs, as well. No hotels.


Solution: Berkeley pays for the first class ticket there and Stanford pays for the first class ticket back.


good thought, but SLS pays for coach only. lol.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:25 am

1212 wrote:good thought, but SLS pays for coach only. lol.


What a TTT.

User avatar
1212
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Double-Dipping: Ethical Travel Stipend Question

Postby 1212 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 am

bk1 wrote:
1212 wrote:good thought, but SLS pays for coach only. lol.


What a TTT.


+1.

How their yield is so high completely baffles me.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest