Visiting on dates when there are no tours

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
bernaldiaz

Visiting on dates when there are no tours

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:34 am

Ok, so I live in New England and am going to drive down to NC to drive home with my sister from graduate school after the semester. I'm thinking of hitting Duke, UVa, and Penn (I could do NYU, Columbia, Yale, Harvard as well, but those are well within a reasonable road trip for me so I'll just do them this summer). The problem is that I'll be seeing those schools Dec 14-16 when there are no tours offered and presumably people will either be in finals or will already be home. I know having a registered visit often shows interest in a school and may be (an ever so slight) admissions bump, so I'm kind of bummed that none of my visits will be on the record. Any advice for what to do in this situation? Is it worth it just to go and physically see the school, even if I don't get a tour? Can I stop by the Law School Admission Office even if they aren't offering a tour that day or should I just not bother them? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Visiting on dates when there are no tours

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:11 am

As long as the admissions office is open, they should give you enough info (brochure, map, etc.) for a self-guided tour. They may even take down your name without any kind of official tour going on.

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:05 pm

No harm in going - in fact I think seeing students during exams might give you a better picture of law school life anyway. :D I agree it is worth stopping by the admissions office and mentioning you're an applicant. But don't expect any admissions boost, etc.

In other words - treat it as a vacation, and maybe talk to some law students for advice/experiences. Don't expect anything huge out of it - and if you get into the schools you'll probably want to go back for admitted students days anyway. And it is too early to seriously start evaluating schools, housing, etc.

checkster

Postby checkster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 pm

yuzu wrote:No harm in going - in fact I think seeing students during exams might give you a better picture of law school life anyway. :D I agree it is worth stopping by the admissions office and mentioning you're an applicant. But don't expect any admissions boost, etc.

In other words - treat it as a vacation, and maybe talk to some law students for advice/experiences. Don't expect anything huge out of it - and if you get into the schools you'll probably want to go back for admitted students days anyway. And it is too early to seriously start evaluating schools, housing, etc.

This. Its definitely worth checking out, but just be mindful that school's take on a whole different atmosphere when its filled with people. I visited Iowa a while back during their break and it seemed like the most miserable place on the world. Visited later during the semester and thought it was fantastic. Just keep it in mind.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”