Bring spouse on visit

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
proxy
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Bring spouse on visit

Postby proxy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Just need some opinions. Would it be appropriate for my wife to accompany me on my law school visit? Or should I have her stay in the hotel room.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby shoeshine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:02 pm

proxy wrote:Just need some opinions. Would it be appropriate for my wife to accompany me on my law school visit? Or should I have her stay in the hotel room.

It is generally acceptable to have her come along with you on a visit or ASW.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby KMaine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Have her stay in the car. Make sure to crack a window.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:06 pm

KMaine wrote:Have her stay in the car. Make sure to crack a window.


:lol:

User avatar
TrojanHopeful
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby TrojanHopeful » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:08 pm

KMaine wrote:Have her stay in the car. Make sure to crack a window.


Or you could tie her to a tree. Make sure to leave some water.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby JoeMo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:10 pm

proxy wrote:Just need some opinions. Would it be appropriate for my wife to accompany me on my law school visit? Or should I have her stay in the hotel room.


I find it perfectly acceptable. This is a big decision for you both.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby duckmoney » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:14 pm

JoeMo wrote:
proxy wrote:Just need some opinions. Would it be appropriate for my wife to accompany me on my law school visit? Or should I have her stay in the hotel room.


I find it perfectly acceptable. This is a big decision for you both.


Yes, it is acceptable, although assuming your wife isn't applying to law school in the near future, she might get more out of exploring the city and assessing job / other educational opportunities. ASWs are miserable enough when you're a 0L, I can't imagine how miserable it would be as just an observor.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby JoeMo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:55 pm

duckmoney wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
proxy wrote:Just need some opinions. Would it be appropriate for my wife to accompany me on my law school visit? Or should I have her stay in the hotel room.


I find it perfectly acceptable. This is a big decision for you both.


Yes, it is acceptable, although assuming your wife isn't applying to law school in the near future, she might get more out of exploring the city and assessing job / other educational opportunities. ASWs are miserable enough when you're a 0L, I can't imagine how miserable it would be as just an observor.


I agree... a walking tour is one thing. ASW is a completely different thing. And both should explore the city and job prospects to see if that's really where you could see yourself living for 3 years. It also wouldn't hurt to have a rent/home budget and check out neighborhoods that fall in that budget. NY is great but what if you can only afford to live in the Bronx for example?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Not sure what sitting through presentations about stuff you'll be doing during law school will really help her. However, I'll +1 the others here that it'd be good for her to spend the time exploring the rest of the world around the law school. Certainly acceptable to bring her, but I think her happiness will be more impacted by surrounding stuff unrelated to whatever ASW will tell you.

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby kahechsof » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Take her. It's important for her to know there won't be any competition from classmates.

Jante05
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby Jante05 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:26 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Not sure what sitting through presentations about stuff you'll be doing during law school will really help her. However, I'll +1 the others here that it'd be good for her to spend the time exploring the rest of the world around the law school. Certainly acceptable to bring her, but I think her happiness will be more impacted by surrounding stuff unrelated to whatever ASW will tell you.

+2

bmili
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby bmili » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 pm

I brought my spouse on both visits (walk-throughs at both and sat in on a class at other). I liked it because I had someone to bounce things off of and compare perceptions. Plus, its a good way for her to feel like she has ownership in the decision as well. Im sure your spouse will be sacrificing in order for you to go to law school.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Bring spouse on visit

Postby swilson215 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Better to bring a spouse than a parent. But if i was married to someone looking at LS, I would rather use that ASW time to catch up on trashy reality TV programming in a hotel and then meet up for lunch and a campus tour.

Overall, though, +1 to thread wisdom: bring her if she wants to go, but allow her to explore the area if that's what she would rather do.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest