What to wear on first visit to campus after acceptance?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)

What to wear on first visit to campus after acceptance?

khakis and polo
13%
khakis and button down
10%
slacks and button down
8%
slacks and button down+tie
2%
suit
9%
wtf is wrong with u, no one cares
59%

Total votes: 424

afitouri

Re: What to wear on first visit to campus after acceptance?

Postby afitouri » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:56 pm

People who are saying not to wear a suit are people who might not have experience in the real world.

In my experiences, a person is never overdressed when meeting someone in a suit. Just make sure it isn't a flashy suit, and make sure that it fits you well. Something that Barney on How I Met Your Mother might wear.

Or, slacks with a dress shirt, if its warm weather.

But my experience is that a person is never overdressed in an interview. A tuxedo would seem cheesy, but it would also seem like you care about making a good impression. And caring about the impression is more important than being Rico Suave.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 pm

afitouri wrote:People who are saying not to wear a suit are people who might not have experience in the real world.

In my experiences, a person is never overdressed when meeting someone in a suit. Just make sure it isn't a flashy suit, and make sure that it fits you well. Something that Barney on How I Met Your Mother might wear.

But my experience is that a person is never overdressed in an interview. A tuxedo would seem cheesy, but it would also seem like you care about making a good impression. And caring about the impression is more important than being Rico Suave.

lulz

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 pm

rapstar wrote:
afitouri wrote:People who are saying not to wear a suit are people who might not have experience in the real world.

lulz

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 pm

I crossed out all of the bad advice, hth.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:36 pm

notanumber wrote:Tails, a top hat, a cane, and a monocle.

This. Also, white gloves. Pristinely white gloves.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:07 pm

beach_terror wrote:

But my experience is that a person is never overdressed in an interview.
A tuxedo would seem cheesy, but it would also seem like you care about making a good impression. And caring about the impression is more important than being Rico Suave.

I crossed out all of the bad advice, hth.

ftfy

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 pm

--ImageRemoved--

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:36 pm

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Get a shirt that says "[Your School] Law." That way, people will know what law school you will be attending, because your shirt will say it.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnyRandChangedmylife

Postby AnyRandChangedmylife » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:48 pm

This is almost as bad as the "computers for law school 2011" thread.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Everything but the tuxedo is good advice. The tuxedo addition is stupid. It honestly boils down to what you're comfortable in, and who you are. I might wear a suit to one of these things, but only because I wear a suit most days, feel comfortable in suits, and like my selection of suits. Look, despite what you might think at twenty-two, a suit is not dressy. Its just standard everyday wear for most of the legal and business world.

The flip side is, if you look like a kid who only wears suits to funerals and weddings, and who can't relax for even a moment in one (I remember what it was like), then its a bad choice.

I would wear a t-shirt and jeans, probably, or a suit, but that's only because if I'm already wearing the slacks and a button up I feel like I might as well throw on the jacket. But the real answer is, whatever you're comfortable in, and whatever you think you feel natural in. There is no need to "dress up" for the administration and no need to "dress down" for the students. If a twenty-two year old wants to think you're a loser because you wear suits, that's fine. He's just a kid.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Look, despite what you might think at twenty-two, a suit is not dressy. Its just standard everyday wear for most of the legal and business world.

Right. And as someone not yet in the legal or business world, OP should not wear a suit. Despite what you might think at twenty-three, professional people do not walk around in suits when they are unnecessary and inappropriate.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:56 pm

seatown12 wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:Look, despite what you might think at twenty-two, a suit is not dressy. Its just standard everyday wear for most of the legal and business world.

Right. And as someone not yet in the legal or business world, OP should not wear a suit. Despite what you might think at twenty-three, professional people do not walk around in suits when they are unnecessary and inappropriate.

Tcr. Except suits are never inappropriate. And how do we know the OP isn't a member ofthe business or professional world? Your youth is showing. Better cover that up, kid.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
seatown12 wrote:

Tcr. Except suits are never inappropriate. And how do we know the OP isn't a member ofthe business or professional world? Your youth is showing. Better cover that up, kid.

this is dumb

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:17 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:how do we know the OP isn't a member of the business or professional world?

He is appearing at the school as a new admitted student, not in any business capacity.

Fark-o-vision wrote:suits are never inappropriate

I don't think you are seeing the distinction between work clothes and casual wear.
Last edited by seatown12 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 am

seatown12 wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:how do we know the OP isn't a member of the business or professional world?

He is appearing at the school as a new admitted student, not in any business capacity.

Fark-o-vision wrote:suits are never inappropriate

I don't think you are seeing the distinction between work clothes and casual wear.

This is what your posts remind me of:
--ImageRemoved--

The strictly anti-suit attitude on TLS is a little strange. I think it should be noted that my actual advice was to wear what he feels comfortable in, whatever he would normally wear to an informal meeting with professionals. Again, I would personally probably go with a t-shirt and jeans, because I''m not a fan of the polo look and if I'm going to wear a button up and slacks, I'm going to just throw on the jacket.

My point is that the suit is not a dressy look and there are many people who wear one even in casual situations. It isn't a "dressed up" look and if you want to wear one, there isn't a reason you shouldn't. And I might have been a little off-handed earlier, but I find it really very incredible the sort of awe kids fresh from undergrad hold regarding suits. Its silly.

In short, wear whatever you want.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:38 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:In short, wear whatever you want.

ya I did miss your actual point there. +1

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:35 am

All this discussion of suits made me think of a far more attractive middle ground. What about the blazer with a button-down shirt (no tie) and jeans? As a girl, I love wearing a blazer and skinny jeans to work, and I think it'd look good on a guy too.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 am

cinephile wrote:All this discussion of suits made me think of a far more attractive middle ground. What about the blazer with a button-down shirt (no tie) and jeans? As a girl, I love wearing a blazer and skinny jeans to work, and I think it'd look good on a guy too.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 am

Hidden Option: Killself

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 am

If you have already gotten into the school, why the hell would you wear a suit when just visiting? Just go in casual clothing. You have no one to impress anymore. You sealed the deal by getting accepted.

afitouri

Postby afitouri » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:48 pm

seatown12 wrote:

I walk around in a suit when I'm meeting anyone I respect. I wear a suit to dinners, I wear a suit to a dive bar. I wear a dress shirt every day and a tie when I feel like it. And nobody has ever looked twice, nobody has ever asked, "hey, why do you always dress up?"

This thread is full of immature teenagers who have no fashion sense. Wear a suit. If you'd feel awkward in a suit though, just don't wear the jacket. If you still feel awkward, take off the tie. If you still feel uptight, take the broomstick out of your butt.
Last edited by afitouri on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:54 pm

afitouri wrote:
seatown12 wrote:

I walk around in a suit when I'm meeting anyone I respect. I wear a suit to dinners, I wear a suit to a shit hole bar. I wear a dress shirt every day and a tie when I feel like it. And nobody has ever looked twice, nobody has ever asked, "hey, why do you always dress up?"

This thread is full of immature teenagers who have no fashion sense. Wear a suit. If you'd feel awkward in a suit though, just don't wear the jacket. If you still feel awkward, take off the tie. If you still feel uptight, take the broomstick out of your butt.

I suppose you could use another one in there for times when your penchant for overdressing wanes?

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:34 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:The strictly anti-suit attitude on TLS is a little strange. I think it should be noted that my actual advice was to wear what he feels comfortable in, whatever he would normally wear to an informal meeting with professionals. Again, I would personally probably go with a t-shirt and jeans, because I''m not a fan of the polo look and if I'm going to wear a button up and slacks, I'm going to just throw on the jacket.

My point is that the suit is not a dressy look and there are many people who wear one even in casual situations. It isn't a "dressed up" look and if you want to wear one, there isn't a reason you shouldn't. And I might have been a little off-handed earlier, but I find it really very incredible the sort of awe kids fresh from undergrad hold regarding suits. Its silly.

In short, wear whatever you want.

Um, yes it is. Where do you live where people hang out in suits in their leisure time?

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”