Subsidized vacation thread

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
JamMasterJ

Subsidized vacation thread

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:37 am

Hey, I was wondering how many people use law school visits as a sort of subsidized vacation, i.e. visiting a school that you have little to no intention of attending because they give you a travel stipend and you want to visit the area. I have cousins close to a couple schools, so I was thinking about taking a visit to schools in the surrounding area just to visit them. Is this type of thing done at all? And which schools are fairly easy to get stipends from?

DocHawkeye

Re: Subsidized vacation thread

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I don't know if people do this kind of thing, but I do know that, at some schools, the travel stipend must be repayed if you do not enroll at the school.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:29 pm

The only ones I've heard of are reimbursements for official visits to the university. I've never heard of them being contingent on actually attending the school

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:17 pm

I took several subsidized vacations to schools I wasn't really considering. I highly recommend it. Hell, I'm enrolling in a school that I didn't have a ton of interest in until I visited.

I've heard of a couple of schools that only reimburse you if you enroll, but AFAIK those are the exception, not the rule. You should look into that before you apply solely for the vacation, though.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:34 pm

If you can afford to take a vacation and it works with the school's policies, then great. Personally I found the visits stressful and hellish because I would be hopping on a plane at 6 AM one morning and again at 6 AM the next. But I couldn't really afford to take a full week off.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:53 pm

duckmoney wrote:If you can afford to take a vacation and it works with the school's policies, then great. Personally I found the visits stressful and hellish because I would be hopping on a plane at 6 AM one morning and again at 6 AM the next. But I couldn't really afford to take a full week off.

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of taking a Friday off, flying out in the morning or even Thursday night, touring the school on Friday and meeting up with my family in the area Saturday and Sunday before flying back. This would also be a better explanation to my boss who doesn't know I'm going to law school :wink:
Anyone want to share specific schools where they've done something like this?

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 am

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:20 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98776

Thanks, this is really helpful

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:09 pm

kinda like going to las vegas and having to listen to that timeshare BS. totally not worth it.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:08 am

bartleby wrote:kinda like going to las vegas and having to listen to that timeshare BS. totally not worth it.

But if I can get a $200 stipend for taking a day off work to go on a trip I was already planning on taking...

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:15 am

Hawaii

blehGPAgoodLSAT

Postby blehGPAgoodLSAT » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Welp, looks like I'll be applying to Hawaii law and UNLV law as a result of this thread. Will be asking them to subsidize a visit if I don't get YP'd out.

I've heard good things about Florida as well.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”