Law school forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
DC_Patent_Law

Law school forum

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Hey guys,

I am registered for the law school forum in DC and got an email from UCLA admissions to visit their table. I'm sure everyone who signed up for that event got that email and they did not really pick me out for any special reason. The question is:

1. Does it help to talk to them? I have some questions they can answer and if they get a positive impression, cant it help?

but more importantly,

2. Can it hurt to talk to them? (I currently look like I belong in a rock band/mafia with long hair and a goatee) :D

- DCPL

JD2014

Re: Law school forum

Postby JD2014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:41 pm

1. You might get a fee waiver, but they won't remember you. They go to a lot of these events, and meet a lot of people at them.

2. They won't remember you, and they certainly won't remember what your name tag says. Law schools care about US News rankings, not applicants' hairstyles. That said, if you look so terrible that you're self-conscious about it, it might be time to clean up.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 pm

if you look so terrible that you're self-conscious about it, it might be time to clean up.

Haha, I actually look pretty good, just not the preppy law-school type :D

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 pm

1. No

2. Yes, but only if you puke on the rep or invite them to your Nazi party meeting later.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Sandro wrote:1. No

2. Yes, but only if you puke on the rep or invite them to your Nazi party meeting later.

It worked well for me...

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:41 am

invite them to your Nazi party meeting later.

If you're above the rank of obersturmführer, you get a full ride to Regent though.

lsapplicant07

Postby lsapplicant07 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:47 am

I'm going to a LSAC forum tomorrow in Oakland. Do people bring any materials? (resume, something with their admissions numbers etc?)

Thanks

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:22 pm

I went to the Oakland/Bay Area forum today too!

I did not see anyone with resumes, or anything else to give to the school representatives. The main thing that people were doing was signing their name/code number/e-mail address on the schools' sign-in sheets if they had one available (about half of the schools did, half did not).

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:47 pm

apollo2015 wrote:I went to the Oakland/Bay Area forum today too!

I did not see anyone with resumes, or anything else to give to the school representatives. The main thing that people were doing was signing their name/code number/e-mail address on the schools' sign-in sheets if they had one available (about half of the schools did, half did not).

Were all the T-14 represented at the forum? I am wondering if I should time a Harvard visit to hit the Boston forum and check out a few more schools. Did you find it helpful to speak with the reps?

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:38 pm

Harvard and Yale did not see fit to grace the forum with their presence. Stanford, Berkeley, Chicago and Cornell were there. I wasn't too interested in the non-regional T14, so I'm not sure which others showed up. There were about 140 schools overall present.

I would say that attending a forum would be a nice thing to do, but its not worth going out of your way for. Mainly, it will give you the opportunity to say that you enjoyed the conversation with their representative when you write a Why-??? essay for their school. Its just a marginal benefit.

I had 2-3 short questions that I asked every school I was interested in. Based on their answers I was able to eliminate a bunch of them from my consideration. Probably the most productive question would be to ask what they look for in personal statements. Some schools will say they can't answer that. Others will go off on a long tangent about what they want to see.

Skip the panel discussions that are going on during the forum. They don't tell us anything that we don't already know.

EDIT: According to a LSAC handout, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, New York, Michigan, Penn, Berkeley, Duke, Virginia, Northwestern, Cornell, Georgetown, and Texas were there.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”