help!!! visiting boston and new york schools

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
BEH321

help!!! visiting boston and new york schools

Postby BEH321 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Recently waitlisted at a high ranked schools in boston and new york. Will be visiting the campuses for tours as well as interviews with admissions. Questions:
1. Proper attire (I'm female)-a suit or dressy khakis and a blazer? Concerned that I will be touring first-dont want to look over dressed for the tour, but want to make a good impression.
2. Questions to ask the admissions people?

Any help would be great!!!

Cupidity

Re: help!!! visiting boston and new york schools

Postby Cupidity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:46 pm

It is very uncommon to see people in a suit, I'd suggest the khakis route. Is one of the Boston Schools BU?

BEH321

Postby BEH321 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Well I'm planning for BC this week. I haven't set up my tour at BU yet tho I plan to sometime this week. Thanks for the advice on dress-code, I agree completely, I just wanted to make sure I didn't look unprofessional. I take it you are attending BU?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:54 pm

BEH321 wrote:Well I'm planning for BC this week. I haven't set up my tour at BU yet tho I plan to sometime this week. Thanks for the advice on dress-code, I agree completely, I just wanted to make sure I didn't look unprofessional. I take it you are attending BU?

Yes, any questions feel free to ask.

BEH321

Postby BEH321 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:06 am

Anyone else opinions?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:40 am

A suit might be a bit much for a tour. My preferred campus visit attire was a pencil skirt and blouse. If it's chilly, add a cardigan. Add pumps for your NY outfit.
Example:

Boston does have a more preppy style, though. Are your khakis skinny? If so, wear them. If not, nice (dark wash) skinny jeans plus ballet flats and a modest camisole under a boyfriend blazer is a good "nice but not trying too hard" look for Boston.
Example:

If you feel totally out of place in those outfits, just go with your personal style in a similar level of formality and you'll be totally fine.

As for questions to ask, I guess that depends on what you really want to get out of it. A big question I always liked to ask was what the school was doing to help graduates get jobs in this economy. If there are any student orgs you're interested in, you can ask about those (e.g. I was curious about the fashion law institute at Fordham). Since you're WL'ed, ask questions you feel will be good conversation starters that will allow you to demonstrate your interest and really sell yourself to the school.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 am

Ask to sit in on a class, most valuable thing you can do to evaluate a law school.

BEH321

Postby BEH321 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:32 am

thank you guys!!!

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”