University of Minnesota April 1st-2nd

(Where, When and What Did You Think)

Re: University of Minnesota April 1st-2nd

Postby FourOnTheFloor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:52 pm

kellycane wrote:How did you like Dinkytown? I ended up hanging out with a few friends I made and explored downtown and the MIA museum, but didn't have the time to explore otherwise. Are you thinking about living there? What was the general feel you got from the undergrads you met?

I liked it a lot, but I've always liked college town type neighborhoods with lots of funky stores and restaurants (I also like Uptown for this reason). The kids I spoke with were all very friendly, and most of them lived in the neighborhood. I did get the impression that Dinkytown might not be the best place to live as a law student, though. If you have a car, parking can apparently be difficult (unless you're sharing a house that comes with parking). If you live in an apartment complex, a lot of them can be noisy, especially on the weekends. Apparently as you go west (northwest, I guess) of 35W, it gets a little more mellow. I was also told that you can find apartment complexes where they let tenants know that there's an expectation that people will be quiet, so I would recommend trying to find one of those if you plan on studying at home regularly.

I'm trying to decide between Dinkytown and Uptown. I think I prefer Uptown because it's off campus, there's still plenty to do, and there was a ton of street parking so I can bring my car. The commute isn't too long, but I'm wondering if it will be a hassle if I end up getting take-home exams (20 minutes each way=40 minutes less time on the exam). Ultimately, I think my decision will come down to whether or not I want to bring my car. I really won't need it in the city, but grocery shopping can be a pain if you don't have a car, and it would be nice to be able to explore the rest of the state on weekends from time to time.

Re: University of Minnesota April 1st-2nd

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Uptown>>>Dinkytown if you're primarily concerned with QoL, though it'd be hard to do without a car

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”