Anyone else going?

LSATurday

Re: University of Minnesota April 1st-2nd

Postby LSATurday » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes. Is there a good place to stay?

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:36 pm

LSATurday wrote:Yes. Is there a good place to stay?

I saw some discussion about this on the University of Minnesota thread over in the law school acceptances area, and it looks like some people were bidding $40/night on priceline and getting it. I am staying with a friend one night, then Friday night I'm getting a hotel downtown, though I haven't actually booked one yet. There is a list with "University of Minnesota discount rates" on the admitted students page, but it sounds like those are actually more expensive than what you can find on your own. I would suggest deciding whether you want to stay downtown or by the school, then just bidding on priceline. I chose downtown, because Friday night after the reception there will most likely be people exploring the city, and this way I'll be right there when it's done.

Also, I saw in the other thread you mentioned you may be interested in joining us Friday after the reception. If you'd like, you can PM me your email address (if you have email on your phone, or a phone number if you don't) so we can find each other. So far we've got 3 with you, and I'm hoping we can drum up enough interest to make it a group.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:19 am

Im there, staying downtown thurs and friday.

WinterIsComing

Postby WinterIsComing » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:04 am

brrr
Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tessakate6

Postby tessakate6 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:09 am

I will be attending the preview weekend as well!

bags716

Postby bags716 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:39 pm

I'll be leaving tomorrow morning! I'm pretty excited. I'll be getting in a day early and staying an extra day so I can check out the city. Can anyone recommend anything to see?

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:36 pm

bags716 wrote:I'll be leaving tomorrow morning! I'm pretty excited. I'll be getting in a day early and staying an extra day so I can check out the city. Can anyone recommend anything to see?

I'm getting in a day early as well, so +1 to this.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:24 pm

I went to UMN first asw.

I saw a concert at the Varsity theater in Dinky town and ate dinner at loring pasta bar. It was insanely delicious and a great show.

Drove to uptown and checked out the local restaurants, etc. I rented a car but I'm sure using the bus would be really easy.

We also checked out Nicollet Mall and did some exploring through the skyways. Let me know if you're looking for something in particular!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:24 pm

flying in thursday afternoon, no car so if you guys are doing anything let me know !

Snevik

Postby Snevik » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 am

I'm driving up from Chicago and staying near the school on Thursday and Friday. I didn't want to lock myself in downtown, but since it seems like that's where the flow is going, I'll probably end up having to take a late night cab back.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:45 pm

It may not be what you guys have in mind, but as a resident, I'd recommend the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. It's a very cool museum.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:46 pm

Hey I got a $300 stipend like yesterday. If I get last min airfare then maybe.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:52 am

I want to hear the reactions to the ASW!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:49 pm

It was a very good/well organized campus preview. Almost convinced me I would want to go to school in Minnesota.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Ha. You're going to UGA, right? I'm almost positive I'm the opposite- I'm picking UMN over UGA.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:55 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:I want to hear the reactions to the ASW!

It was fantastic. You weren't there I take it? Career serevices, current students, clinical programs, professors, I found it to all be great, and all the other prospective students I talked to seemed to like it as well.

Coming from the bay area, and considering NYC as my other favorite option, I wasn't feeling Minneapolis, but I think I could handle it. I am now more convinced UMN has national reach, though I do think it will take a little leg work. Definitely the first school I've visited that I believed when they said it was national.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 pm

No, I went to the first one. I just want to hear more reactions.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:52 am

Tim0thy222 wrote:

It was fantastic. You weren't there I take it? Career serevices, current students, clinical programs, professors, I found it to all be great, and all the other prospective students I talked to seemed to like it as well.

Coming from the bay area, and considering NYC as my other favorite option, I wasn't feeling Minneapolis, but I think I could handle it. I am now more convinced UMN has national reach, though I do think it will take a little leg work. Definitely the first school I've visited that I believed when they said it was national.

I think they overplayed the "national" aspect a little too much. Pretty much every school will place around the nation. I dont see it being very feasible to be from outside of say, NY, and having UMN place me there.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:55 am

And I just got a weird vibe from some of the current students and even the perspective, not that they matter too much. Good school but I dont see it making much sense if you arent set on the midwest/Minnesota and can consider 45 and sunny a "gorgeous" day

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:02 am

Sandro wrote:And I just got a weird vibe from some of the current students and even the perspective, not that they matter too much. Good school but I dont see it making much sense if you arent set on the midwest/Minnesota and can consider 45 and sunny a "gorgeous" day

it was absolutely gorgeous today, FTR

athenian

Postby athenian » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Sandro wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:

I think they overplayed the "national" aspect a little too much. Pretty much every school will place around the nation. I dont see it being very feasible to be from outside of say, NY, and having UMN place me there.

I don't think they overplayed it. They were incredibly blunt in mentioning that if you want a job outside of the Midwest, you're going to have to put in a lot of legwork. UMN helps you by providing an off-campus interview event in NY, SF, and CHI, but you've got to be the one to demonstrate sufficient ties/interest to prospective employers.

This is true of every school outside the T-10. Minnesota won't assure you a shot of NY or California, but it doesn't make jobs there an impossibility.

Certainly you've got a larger chance of "national" placement from a school that has been continually in or around the top 20 than a perennially lower ranked regional school (like Indiana, Emory, Davis, UGA, etc.)

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 pm

athenian wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:

I don't think they overplayed it. They were incredibly blunt in mentioning that if you want a job outside of the Midwest, you're going to have to put in a lot of legwork. UMN helps you by providing an off-campus interview event in NY, SF, and CHI, but you've got to be the one to demonstrate sufficient ties/interest to prospective employers.

This is true of every school outside the T-10. Minnesota won't assure you a shot of NY or California, but it doesn't make jobs there an impossibility.

Certainly you've got a larger chance of "national" placement from a school that has been continually in or around the top 20 than a perennially lower ranked regional school (like Indiana, Emory, Davis, UGA, etc.)

To me national means a school will open doors across America that arent your normal doors that a regional school will open. Going to any school outside your region allows you to access that market to some extent, as well as your home market you have ties to. If Minnesota opens these doors across america why does their placement lag other t25 schools?

FourOnTheFloor

Postby FourOnTheFloor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:23 am

I was pretty impressed with the school overall, although it's the only ASW I attended so I don't have any basis for comparison. All of the faculty that I spoke with seemed very outgoing and excited about the school, as were the students I met (including all the undergrads I met while wandering around Dinkytown). I skipped the second day in favor of exploring the city more. Was anything interesting said during the career center presentation or the Q&A with the Dean? Either way, I'll be sending in my deposit soon.

kellycane

Postby kellycane » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:38 pm

FourOnTheFloor wrote:I skipped the second day in favor of exploring the city more. Was anything interesting said during the career center presentation or the Q&A with the Dean? Either way, I'll be sending in my deposit soon.

I really enjoyed ASW and was impressed by everyone I spoke with. I think the most valuable part of the second day was the breakout Q&A sessions with Financial Aid and the head of Study Abroad programs (though this probably reflects my bias!). Financial aid talked about the LRAP for students who go into public interest work, and it seemed like it was a great option, especially as the funding available for graduates going into PI work is increasing. The study abroad programs were discussed in some detail-- there are over ten programs now, and any scholarships you have to MN transfer.

The dean seemed very accessible and engaged well with the students who asked questions (he was actually pretty funny-- someone asked about why MN doesn't have a maritime law program, and he jokingly speculated it might be because of MN being landlocked). He honestly answered questions about prospective employment post-graduation, and indicated that he thinks the worst of the recession has passed and things will continue to improve re: job prospects. He did add the obvious caveat that he can't tell the future, but he discussed the improving job market in MN and the OCI opportunities.

How did you like Dinkytown? I ended up hanging out with a few friends I made and explored downtown and the MIA museum, but didn't have the time to explore otherwise. Are you thinking about living there? What was the general feel you got from the undergrads you met?

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”