83%
Pantsuit
4%
Skirt suit
13%

Total votes: 69

upfish

Silver

Re: Visiting a law school: what should a woman wear? (poll!)

Post by upfish » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Am I the only girl who wore jeans? I just paired them with a button-up and a sweatervest and I was right on par/slightly dressier with what everyone else (girls included) wore at the Admitted Students Day at CU.

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:34 pm

I wore chuck taylors and jeans. :oops:

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:45 am

crossingforHYS wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
ahduth wrote:Ugh, when I was a recruiter, women were impossible.

Men: Shave. Comb your hair. Match your belt and your shoes. No ties with clowns on them.

Women: Don't do any of the billions of things you can do that make you look unprofessional.

I can't tell if this thread is like... for interviews with deans of admissions, or for getting wasted until 2 in the morning with the other people going to ASW.

If it's the first, look like this:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-hugo-b ... sultback=0

Except no open toe shoes, period.

If it's the second, I recommend any of the looks from this page:

http://www.viceland.com/int/dos.php

edit: actually this one: http://www.viceland.com/int/dd.php?id=2871
In the defense of females everywhere: men have like one option, while we have many.
And in defense of Californians: our business attire isn't the same as east coast business attire. :mrgreen:

BUT THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! :)
just saw this page: and this is sooooooooooooooo true!!! I am a cali girl and man......our Buisness Casual would be considered sunday brunch attire elsewhere
Glad to have a fellow Californian who understands :)

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:47 am

Wear whatever the fuck you want. You already got into the school and its not like its a job interview or some shit

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:52 am

ajtdq wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
ajtdq wrote:Hey, everyone!

Thanks for all of the responses and especially for voting in the poll!

Some people were unsure about the details so here they are:
1. I will be meeting with Admissions staff
2. I don't have a meeting with the Dean of Admissions, but if they happen to walk by, I will introduce myself in a heartbeat.
3. I will meet at least one professor (when I sit in on the class)
4. I will be getting some kind of tour.

Also, at my job, open-toed shoes are ok. But I would never, ever wear open-toed shoes to an interview.

A few people mentioned other important things about the appearances: nails and hair. My nails are going to be in this color: http://zoya.com/content/38/item/Zoya/Zo ... icity.html one of my favorite nudes. And of course, I love the brand because it's vegan (no weird chemicals) and actually lasts a week on my fingers (natural nails). /Zoya plug.

My hair is going to be half up/half down, but pinned on the sides (no hair ties). Everyday makeup.
Are you a vegan? :)
Absolutely not vegan! But I try to minimize my exposure to things like formaldehyde and DBP when I can! :lol:

That's always a good thing! :)

It's really surprising that you are not considering how conscious you are of what goes on your finger nails....

Look into what is in our meat and dairy and you might just become one :)

btw... the plastic in our bottles that many of us consume everyday through our beverages have pcb's in them which cause brain damage. Some food for thought. Not to say I don't drink at least 3 or 4 water bottles a day but maybe i shouldn't lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:58 pm

dr123 wrote:Wear whatever the fuck you want. You already got into the school and its not like its a job interview or some shit

THis. It doesnt matter what you wear at an admitted student event. Especially if you go sit on a class. Wear something comfortable, and smile and be nice, and you will be fine. This is the time for the school to sell itself to you, not the other way around. You allready are admitted- so what you wear wont matter, as long as its not trashy, or inappropriate ( i.e beach or gym wear).
If you are going to meet with admissons or financial aid in person, you can always wear a coat or dressier shirt. You dont need to dress for an interview, or wear some redicolous heels or whatnot. Just wear whatever you feel comfortable in, and dont forget to smile.

DMBFan

New

Post by DMBFan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 pm

northwood wrote:
dr123 wrote:Wear whatever the fuck you want. You already got into the school and its not like its a job interview or some shit

THis. It doesnt matter what you wear at an admitted student event. Especially if you go sit on a class. Wear something comfortable, and smile and be nice, and you will be fine. This is the time for the school to sell itself to you, not the other way around. You allready are admitted- so what you wear wont matter, as long as its not trashy, or inappropriate ( i.e beach or gym wear).

I'm pretty sure OP has NOT yet been admitted. And she is meeting with admissions staff.

Also on a side note, I followed the advice on here about wearing something casual to ASW (I wore khaki pants and a polo shirt) and I was a little surprised at the numerous people wearing suits, sport coats, or at least ties. It may be the nature of the school. I did not, however, feel under dressed but I would not have felt over dressed if I had worn a tie.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:51 pm

DMBFan wrote:
northwood wrote:

I'm pretty sure OP has NOT yet been admitted. And she is meeting with admissions staff.

Also on a side note, I followed the advice on here about wearing something casual to ASW (I wore khaki pants and a polo shirt) and I was a little surprised at the numerous people wearing suits, sport coats, or at least ties. It may be the nature of the school. I did not, however, feel under dressed but I would not have felt over dressed if I had worn a tie.
nature of what school? been to ASWs at 3 T14s and been fine in nice casual (jeans and a sweater). plan on wearing nice casual to the other 3 i plan on visiting. sounds fishy.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:24 am

All that business about pantsuits and what not was because she had not been admitted and was trying to talk to the dean about getting admitted. She needed to look so hot she would melt people's eyeballs. The whole point of interviewing is to make an impression. Hopefully she'll get off the waitlist.

For people who are already in though... screw this dress up noise. I'm considering dropping 200k on their school. I will be unshaven, wearing dirty sneakers and jeans with paint stains on them. And they will say please and thank you when they talk to me. Shit. My first one here is Columbia, and while I'm sure plenty of these people are going to get all dolled up like they've finally hit the upper crust, I'm way too anti- to play suit monkey for these people. I'd rent a giant panda bear costume for it if I weren't so cheap.

Actually now that I think of it, I have a ratty old NYU t-shirt that I can wear to Columbia. And I can score some Columbia gear for the NYU ASW while I'm up there. Perfect!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ajtdq

New

Post by ajtdq » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:19 am

Thanks to those of you who read the post and noted that I hadn't been admitted :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Visit went well I think. Check out my next thread on the thank you note :lol: .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”