What to wear on a law school visit in the snow? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Peace of Mind

Bronze

What to wear on a law school visit in the snow?

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:59 pm

I have already searched for this and could not find anything that dealt specifically with visiting in the snow. I am from California and I will be visiting a school I am on the waitlist at soon and was wondering what i should wear. I was thinking about wearing dark jeans, uggs, a sweater and a down jacket(think hollister/a&f type). Would this be inappropriate?

I have read that jeans are fine and that boots and flats are preferred, but what about uggs? Too casual?

I thought that since it will be snowing they would assume I am trying to stay as warm as possible seeing as I weigh less than 90 lbs and have much insulation.

I am hoping to meet with professors, directors of programs I am interested in, and if lucky, the dean of admissions.

Thank you! :)

fatduck

Gold

Re: What to wear on a law school visit in the snow?

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 pm

pics?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:02 pm

wear clothing that is appropriate for the weather. if its snowy- then dress for it.

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:03 pm

northwood wrote:wear clothing that is appropriate for the weather. if its snowy- then dress for it.

Thank you!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:24 pm

It's just a visit. You don't have to look all fancy. Just wear jeans, boots (Uggs are fine, although they are hideously ugly), a sweater, and a coat. You'll be inside most of the time anyways.

And are you sure it will be snowing? It is almost April... even if it is snowing, I doubt it is snowing that much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:It's just a visit. You don't have to look all fancy. Just wear jeans, boots (Uggs are fine, although they are hideously ugly), a sweater, and a coat. You'll be inside most of the time anyways.

And are you sure it will be snowing? It is almost April... even if it is snowing, I doubt it is snowing that much.
Thank you!

Yes, i have been checking the weather report everyday. I'm hoping it will change last minute but as of right now it will be snowing. In California in fact it has been pretty cold(by California standards lol) here for this time of year and we are having a lot of rain this week, so I guess there is going to be a little bit of an extended winter.

I do have leather boots I could wear, but they are not nearly as comfortable or warm. If I check the weather the day before I leave and it is will not be snowing, would you suggest I wear the more professional leather ones?

I know this probably sounds ridiculous but I want to make a good impression incase I get the oppurtunity to speak with the dean since this school is my number one choice. I don't want something as silly as attire to ruin my chances, no matter how superficial that sounds.

Thank you again! :)

edit: so i just checked the weather again and now it says it will be sunny and 0% chance of rain or snow. A complete 180 from what it said this morning. Damn meteorologists!
Last edited by Peace of Mind on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:49 pm

Well, Uggs do look ridiculous no matter what - I'd particularly avoid them if I'm meeting with anyone I care to impress. Just bring both.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Dress like you were going to meet your boyfriend's parents for the first time at the Cheesecake Factory... on a winter day.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Actually where are you going where it's snowing? Ithaca?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 pm

ahduth wrote:Well, Uggs do look ridiculous no matter what - I'd particularly avoid them if I'm meeting with anyone I care to impress. Just bring both.

Thank you!

I think you are right!
Makes sense!

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:58 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:Dress like you were going to meet your boyfriend's parents for the first time at the Cheesecake Factory... on a winter day.

Perfect! Got it! :)

btw... cheesecake factory is awesome!

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Last edited by Peace of Mind on Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:04 pm

fatduck wrote:pics?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Andrzej

New

Post by Andrzej » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 pm

dont wear anything expensive because you have big risk to get mugged in chicago and bring ice skate or snow ski for winter enjoyment.
zabawy!!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
ahduth wrote:Actually where are you going where it's snowing? Ithaca?

No, more like Chicago.
It's not snowing here. I'd bring an umbrella though. And I don't think this Cheesecake Factory thing is necessarily right.
Peace of Mind wrote:I will be visiting a school I am on the waitlist at soon and was wondering what i should wear.

I am hoping to meet with professors, directors of programs I am interested in, and if lucky, the dean of admissions.
Particularly if you're going to meet with the dean of admissions, I personally would be thinking about a pantsuit or whatever other type of professional garb you have. If you want to go to this school, and the person you're meeting with can influence whether or not you get in, you want to knock their socks off. Dress like you're there to kill it.

The rest of the visit, w/e. I'd plan on wearing tennis shoes and leering at people personally. I'm like that though. :D

edited for clarity.

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:

No, more like Chicago.
You don't need to be that bundled up for Chicago. It's not like you are going on a trek through the snow, you'll be inside for most of your visit. I went to visit a law school in Chicago in Feb and it was super cold but I wore leather boots, tights, a sweater dress and a peacoat. I personally wouldn't wear Uggs (I do own a pair, I just think of them as much more casual).

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Cf.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:11 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
northwood wrote:wear clothing that is appropriate for the weather. if its snowy- then dress for it.

Thank you!
lol :shock:

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:26 pm

NZA wrote:Cf.

+1

You are the only person who gave me anything substantial to consider!

Why didn't I think of this sooner?! Good call!!!

:)

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:28 pm

ahduth wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:

No, more like Chicago.
It's not snowing here. I'd bring an umbrella though. And I don't think this Cheesecake Factory thing is necessarily right.
Peace of Mind wrote:I will be visiting a school I am on the waitlist at soon and was wondering what i should wear.

Particularly if you're going to meet with the dean of admissions, I personally would be thinking about a pantsuit or whatever other type of professional garb you have. If you want to go to this school, and the person you're meeting with can influence whether or not you get in, you want to knock their socks off. Dress like you're there to kill it.

The rest of the visit, w/e. I'd plan on wearing tennis shoes and leering at people personally. I'm like that though. :D

edited for clarity.

I'm learning weather.com is not very accurate.

Thank you for the advice!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:39 pm

If you are hoping to be admitted: Business casual (+ umbrella, it isn't snowing here anymore)

If you are already admitted: Whatever you want, the school is now trying to impress you, not the other way around.

Edit: Just saw that you are on the WL... So go with something somewhat professional & maybe not the uggs?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:

+1

No problem, man. :)

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 pm

NZA wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:

+1

No problem, man. :)

I'm a female just to clarify.

If you meant that as a slang term for another, ignore that lol

I'll go update my profile to reflect my sex so there is no confusion from here on out, just incase lol

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:53 pm

And now comes the creeping.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:I have already searched for this and could not find anything that dealt specifically with visiting in the snow. I am from California and I will be visiting a school I am on the waitlist at soon and was wondering what i should wear. I was thinking about wearing dark jeans, uggs, a sweater and a down jacket(think hollister/a&f type). Would this be inappropriate?

I have read that jeans are fine and that boots and flats are preferred, but what about uggs? Too casual?
I thought that since it will be snowing they would assume I am trying to stay as warm as possible seeing as I weigh less than 90 lbs and have much insulation.

Thank you! :)

the bolded in your OP was a giveaway that you are a lady. no need to put it in your profile

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”