Cornell Aril 8th?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
koalatriste

Re: Cornell Aril 8th?

Postby koalatriste » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:23 pm

FWIW, last year at ASD I wore a suit and while I may have been a tad overdressed, I thought it gave the professors that I met the impression that I was serious, and I think that it paid off in classes this year.

IMO, Profs at Cornell really love it and definitely feel the need to "promote the school." If you are lucky enough to sit in on a class, especially Professor Clermont's Civil Procedure class, he is always encouraging prospective students to comment in class. Be warned that the subject matter is complex, but most students appreciate the effort and are genuinely interested in hearing your impressions...sometimes it can be good to get an outsider's perspective in CivPro, as law students tend to lose themselves in the technicalities of the course.

hayansekki724

Postby hayansekki724 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:24 am

I'm planning to go dressed as a hobo. A suit and other dressy attire are not going to be my primary fixings for a cross country trip, and I expect to do a lot of walking around. Don't make me the only one!

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 am

japes wrote:Also, anyone interested in splitting a hotel room? Shoot me a PM.

Famous last words :wink:

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:56 am

hayansekki724 wrote:I'm planning to go dressed as a hobo. A suit and other dressy attire are not going to be my primary fixings for a cross country trip, and I expect to do a lot of walking around. Don't make me the only one!

Well, if are going to wear a traditional crumpled top hat you still might look too dressy!

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:18 pm

Do keep in mind that law school is a professional school. Most students at cornell dress in some version of business casual everyday, just FYI so you don't feel out of place! I'd recommend at least khakis and a sweater/shirt with a tie (optional). No shame in rocking a suit if you can pack it for the trip!

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:34 pm

koalatriste wrote:Do keep in mind that law school is a professional school. Most students at cornell dress in some version of business casual everyday, just FYI so you don't feel out of place! I'd recommend at least khakis and a sweater/shirt with a tie (optional). No shame in rocking a suit if you can pack it for the trip!

As a cornell undergrad who has taken several classes in the law school and occasionally uses the library because it is conveniently located next to Collegetown, I have not found the above to be true. Most of the people I see are dressed very casually. I will be wearing jeans and a nice top/sweater to ASW. I think it is most important to be comfortable because these are incredibly long days. This holds especially true if you plan to go on tours.

thetobes

Postby thetobes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:57 pm

I think I'll sport some nice jeans and a blazer... or better yet, a tuxedo t-shirt... you know, to show that I can be formal, but I like to party.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:18 pm

nihilism is key wrote:
koalatriste wrote:Do keep in mind that law school is a professional school. Most students at cornell dress in some version of business casual everyday, just FYI so you don't feel out of place! I'd recommend at least khakis and a sweater/shirt with a tie (optional). No shame in rocking a suit if you can pack it for the trip!

As a cornell undergrad who has taken several classes in the law school and occasionally uses the library because it is conveniently located next to Collegetown, I have not found the above to be true. Most of the people I see are dressed very casually. I will be wearing jeans and a nice top/sweater to ASW. I think it is most important to be comfortable because these are incredibly long days. This holds especially true if you plan to go on tours.

lib attire is definitely different from class attire; also, i think that my section may be a bit more formal than average b/c we are a bit older in age. to each his or her own! i will say that i think my suit helped me get some $$ out of the FA office in a meeting, just something about a suit that says "i'm serious" in a way that jeans don't. the key is to get comfortable in a suit - we're all, theoretically at least, going to be lawyers. ;-)

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:17 pm

i don't know you koala, but i like you already. and i must admit that you make a very good point when you say:
koalatriste wrote: the key is to get comfortable in a suit - we're all, theoretically at least, going to be lawyers. ;-)

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:40 pm

koalatriste wrote: the key is to get comfortable in a suit - we're all, theoretically at least, going to be lawyers. ;-)

heavy emphasis on the "theoretically" in my case...

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Alright! Just signed up for the ASW! Looking forward to meeting y'all!

hayansekki724

Postby hayansekki724 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:23 am

Seems like my couch-surfing host is bailing. Does anyone have an extra bed in their hotel and want to split for thurs and fri nights?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:36 am

koalatriste wrote:FWIW, last year at ASD I wore a suit and while I may have been a tad overdressed, I thought it gave the professors that I met the impression that I was serious, and I think that it paid off in classes this year.

IMO, Profs at Cornell really love it and definitely feel the need to "promote the school." If you are lucky enough to sit in on a class, especially Professor Clermont's Civil Procedure class, he is always encouraging prospective students to comment in class. Be warned that the subject matter is complex, but most students appreciate the effort and are genuinely interested in hearing your impressions...sometimes it can be good to get an outsider's perspective in CivPro, as law students tend to lose themselves in the technicalities of the course.

lol

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:06 pm

woeisme wrote:
koalatriste wrote:FWIW, last year at ASD I wore a suit and while I may have been a tad overdressed, I thought it gave the professors that I met the impression that I was serious, and I think that it paid off in classes this year.

lol

also, be on the LOOKOUT for KOALAS roaming the halls of cornell law, particularly if you are allergic to eucalyptus.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 am

Looks like the Cornell weather machine is broken....

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am

NorCalBruin wrote:Looks like the Cornell weather machine is broken....

What?! You're not looking forward to freezing rain in April?

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:38 pm

The day is fast approaching...anyone else pretty excited?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 pm

spacepenguin wrote:The day is fast approaching...anyone else pretty excited?

Yes but not because I'm admitted but because I'll likely receive a decision pretty soon (week or two).

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Also excited. Not looking forward to the nearly-freezing rain though. I rather have snow!

Did we ever agree on a bar to go to Thursday?

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:37 pm

LALSA is having drinks at Stella's from 7-9. The place seems like a good place to start.

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:13 pm

spacepenguin wrote:LALSA is having drinks at Stella's from 7-9. The place seems like a good place to start.

+1. I talked to admissions, and we're invited to the diversity events (full schedule on page 2).

mths

Postby mths » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:00 pm

You guys will meet the whole law school on friday if you come to Pixel :lol: looks like everyone is going

And for thurs:

spacepenguin wrote:LALSA is having drinks at Stella's from 7-9. The place seems like a good place to start.

Then I suggest Ruloffs and later Palms at like 12 -- should be law students in both places (we're the ones drinking to forget)
Last edited by mths on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mths

Postby mths » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm

koalatriste wrote:
woeisme wrote:

lol

also, be on the LOOKOUT for KOALAS roaming the halls of cornell law, particularly if you are allergic to eucalyptus.

Koalas that skip waaaaay too much class

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:54 pm

//On Friday, April 8, everyone is invited to attend a student party at 9:00am until 1:00am at Pixel Lounge//

Cornell does not mess around.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 pm

I just got that too. They must have finally realized that their matriculation rate is much higher when they put on a sixteen hour no-break-drink-until-you-blackout-and-sign-a-binding-matriculation-form rager!!!

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”