Cornell Aril 8th?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
albiceleste09

Re: Cornell Aril 8th?

Postby albiceleste09 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey Guys! I plan on going to Cornell's ASD on April 8th, too! Not sure yet about the time my arrival, but likely pretty late Thurs. night because I'm coming after work from NYC. This weekend is also apparently Diversity Weekend. I received an email from LALSA (Latino American Law Students Association) with a tentative schedule of events for Diversity Weekend:

Thursday, April 7
5:00 P.M. – 7:00 P.M.
Dinner
Saperston Student Lounge,
Cornell Law School
7:00 P.M. – 9:00 P.M.
Dessert and Drinks
Stella's Restaurant, Bar & Grill,
Collegetown
Friday, April 8
9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Admitted Students Day
5:00 P.M.
Dinner
The Nines and Rulloff's
Restaurants, Collegetown
9:00 P.M. – 1:00 A.M.
Diversity Weekend
Student Party
Pixel Lounge, Collegetown
Saturday, April 9
10:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
Brunch and University Tour
Saperston Student Lounge,
Cornell Law School
4:00 P.M- 6:00 P.M.
First year Moot Court Competition
6:00 P.M. - 7:30 P.M.
Reception at the Art Museum

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:53 pm

I feel incredibly left out. Thanks, Cornell?

I guess us non-URMs are hanging out.

albiceleste09

Postby albiceleste09 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm sure these "diversity" events are open to everyone! You guys should consider starting @ Stella's Thurs. if you get there early enough--who knows, maybe they will have drink specials going on ;) I think i'll def hit up the 'student party' @ Pixel Sat. night (this could be interesting...) the place seems to have decent reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/pixel-lounge-ithaca

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Jeez, think how even more left out I fell. I'm going that weekend, I'm a URM, AND I didn't get a letter :(

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Horchata wrote:Jeez, think how even more left out I fell. I'm going that weekend, I'm a URM, AND I didn't get a letter :(

Don't worry. You can hang out with us non-URMs.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Man, I didn't get an email either...

Either way, we're going to have a hell of a time, I really hope those events aren't URM exclusive.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:01 pm

The Royal Palm Tavern
209 Dryden Road
(607) 272-9636
“The Palms” has a jukebox and booths with sticky old wooden seats, but the Royal Palm Tavern remains the most popular bar in Collegetown. The best time to go is before 11pm to get one of those coveted booths.

Unlike Stella's, you ARE guaranteed to see a law student or 20 or 50 at The Palms. Also don't bother going until 11:30 if not midnight if you are considering going on the Thursday.
Suggested itinerary for the adventurous 0L in for ASW:
- Dinner at Plum Tree (Japanese/Sushi), sake bombs optional; they gladly accommodate large groups if you call ahead earlier in the day.
- Walk down to Chapter House or, if you don't like the hill that much, Rulloff's in Collegetown for drinks.
- Roll Palms around 11:30 to meet mostly 2L's and 3L's but some 1L's as well. You can tell which ones are law students by who is playing flip cup on the picnic tables or ordering large amounts of $2 Busch Lights.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Big Tuna wrote:
The Royal Palm Tavern
209 Dryden Road
(607) 272-9636
“The Palms” has a jukebox and booths with sticky old wooden seats, but the Royal Palm Tavern remains the most popular bar in Collegetown. The best time to go is before 11pm to get one of those coveted booths.

Unlike Stella's, you ARE guaranteed to see a law student or 20 or 50 at The Palms. Also don't bother going until 11:30 if not midnight if you are considering going on the Thursday.
- Dinner at Plum Tree (Japanese/Sushi), sake bombs optional; they gladly accommodate large groups if you call ahead earlier in the day.
- Walk down to Chapter House or, if you don't like the hill that much, Rulloff's in Collegetown for drinks.
- Roll Palms around 11:30 to meet mostly 2L's and 3L's but some 1L's as well. You can tell which ones are law students by who is playing flip cup on the picnic tables or ordering large amounts of $2 Busch Lights.

Would also add the Nines. Very chill place like the Chapter House and good pizza. I always meet law students when I go to Level B, although I don't know if they're representative of other law student preferences.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:08 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:
The Royal Palm Tavern
209 Dryden Road
(607) 272-9636

Would also add the Nines. Very chill place like the Chapter House and good pizza. I always meet law students when I go to Level B, although I don't know if they're representative of other law student preferences.

The Nines is OK for drinks but their food service takes fucking forever. If you like waiting an hour for your pizza then the Nines is awesome.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Big Tuna wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
Big Tuna wrote:
The Royal Palm Tavern
209 Dryden Road
(607) 272-9636

The Nines is OK for drinks but their food service takes fucking forever. If you like waiting an hour for your pizza then the Nines is awesome.

Can't disagree there, but I linger anyway and enjoy the food.

thetobes

Postby thetobes » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:54 am

Hello all. Like some of you, I won't be getting into Ithaca until late Thursday night (flight gets in around 11:30)... any idea on how late people are planning on staying out on Thursday?

Edit/Addition: Also, any consensus on hotels? Holiday Inn in Collegetown? or something closer..?
Last edited by thetobes on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:20 am

Well, the ASW events start at like 9:00 am, I think. (8:30 if you include breakfast). So I'm sure there will be some people raging, but I'm sure plenty will be turning in fairly early as well.

Don't worry about it too much. You can't go wrong. If you can't make it out Thursday, just come out Friday.

Hope to see you there!

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:40 am

Any idea of the expected total number of students at ASW?
How many TLSers are going?

Seems like Friday night is going to involve a pub crawl around Collegetown.
I definitely like the look of Chapterhouse - 43 draft beers is always a good starting point!
Could use some more stouts though, especially in the cold weather.

japes

Postby japes » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:33 am

Skyhook wrote:I definitely like the look of Chapterhouse - 43 draft beers is always a good starting point!

A man after my own heart.
Looking forward to sampling some local craft beer.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Skyhook wrote:Any idea of the expected total number of students at ASW?
How many TLSers are going?

Seems like Friday night is going to involve a pub crawl around Collegetown.
I definitely like the look of Chapterhouse - 43 draft beers is always a good starting point!

lol law students at chapterhouse is so cliche.

Anyone who goes next week - let us know how it went. The last thread did not go far =/

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:14 pm

japes wrote:A man after my own heart.
Looking forward to sampling some local craft beer.

In fact, I'm looking forward to both the local beer and wine.
Cheers!

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:32 pm

My TLS and Facebook lives are beginning to blend... what is this reality?

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Terrifying.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:40 pm

hayansekki724

Postby hayansekki724 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 am

I'm flying into SYR at 7:45pm on Thurs. (driving from SYR) and flying out (again from SYR) at 6:45 PM on Sat. I rented a car and anyone who's schedule matches is more than welcome for the ride. I'm couchsurfing so it's a little hard to schedule commitments for drinks etc., but if anyone wants to PM me for my # I would love to meet up if possible. MSN is my username @hotmail.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:44 pm

What attire is going to be suitable for ASW?
I don't think I'll get away with what I wore to UF's ASD - middle of FL winter and still warmer than Ithaca on a hot day!

I don't own an overcoat. Thinking it might be best to pick one up for this trip as it looks like the high will be around 47F on April 8th. Any suggestions for cheap shops?
I suppose if I wore a suit I might be able to get away without an overcoat.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 pm

Personally, I think a suit is a little too dressy... but that's just me. Just where whatever you have that's warm. As long as you dont look like a hobo, no one is there to judge you on your appearance.

japes

Postby japes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:25 pm

Skyhook wrote:What attire is going to be suitable for ASW?
I don't think I'll get away with what I wore to UF's ASD - middle of FL winter and still warmer than Ithaca on a hot day!

I don't own an overcoat. Thinking it might be best to pick one up for this trip as it looks like the high will be around 47F on April 8th. Any suggestions for cheap shops?
I suppose if I wore a suit I might be able to get away without an overcoat.

Why not just wear a sweater?

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Personally, I think a suit is a little too dressy... but that's just me. Just where whatever you have that's warm. As long as you dont look like a hobo, no one is there to judge you on your appearance.

Yeah, I was concerned about being way too over-dressed!

Japes wrote: Why not just wear a sweater?

And nothing else?!

I'm going to go with the same business casual I went with for UF, just with a few more layers.

japes

Postby japes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:04 pm

I meant with a dressy shirt under it.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”