Cornell Aril 8th?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
NorCalBruin

Cornell Aril 8th?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:22 pm

Anyone else going to this ASW???

I'm getting there thursday evening, around 9:00 pm. Anyone want to go out around 10:00 and get a few drinks?

japes

Re: Cornell Aril 8th?

Postby japes » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 pm

I'll be there!

Unfortunately, my plane won't be getting in until 11:30pm Thursday night. I would, however, be down for meeting up Friday night.

Also, anyone interested in splitting a hotel room? Shoot me a PM.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 pm

I'll be there Thursday...at some point during the day. I can probably meet up for drinks. Is there any evening events going on?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:26 pm

My flight gets in at 9:15 at the ithaca airport, so I probably wont all be settled in till 10:00 pm ish... but that's time to go out and have fun if anyone is interested.

I'm actually going to be in Ithaca, thursday, friday, AND saturday nights (dunno if im alone on that). Don't know where im staying yet.

nycdreamer89

Postby nycdreamer89 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:06 pm

I'll be there thursday afternoon, so I'd definitely like to meet up. :)

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm game! may not get tehre till closer to ten though! keep me posted

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Where's everyone staying? I'm trying to find a cheap hotel, but it's not exactly easy.

japes

Postby japes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:37 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:Where's everyone staying? I'm trying to find a cheap hotel, but it's not exactly easy.

I usually priceline something or other wherever I stay, which ends up being the cheapest option by a fair margin, although it takes out choice of hotel.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Ok, so I just looked through about 100+ hotels / b&b in Ithaca.

It seems like the best option (to me anyway) is probably the Holiday Inn -- it's cheap, it's downtown in the Commons, and it's available. There's stuff to walk to around it. It's about 1.3 miles to the law school, which is not ideal, but not terrible. Probably like $127 before taxes. But if someone wants to share a room with two queen beds, i'm down.

There IS a hotel right by campus & law the school. The Hillside Inn, but most of the reviews I read of it were awful. I mean, I don't really care about comfort (i lived in a frat for two years), but it doesn't bode well to me.

Most of the other hotels are southward on elmira road and northeast up by the airport. They are a little cheaper, but farther away and not near anything.

There are also a couple more expensive hotels (the Hilton Garden Inn or Cornell's own Startler Hotel for example). I could be down if someone shared, but I dunno, may be out of my price range.

There's also about a MILLION B&B, but they don't generally seem that cheap, but if that's what you're into i'm sure you could find one.

ANYWAY---i think im going to shoot for the Holiday Inn.

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:36 pm

PM'd.

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 pm

Looks like someone got to him before I did. Anyone interested in sharing a room?

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:52 pm

I'll be there Thursday morning until Saturday afternoon. Haven't quite decided on a hotel, and the options don't seem great. This trip is going to cost at least 3x more than any of my other school visits. :(

TR Fan

Postby TR Fan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 am

Will be there Thursday evening through Saturday afternoon (rented a car we'll be driving up from DC for the weekend). For those looking to economize, check out the Super 8 - the rooms were around $75/night.

nycdreamer89

Postby nycdreamer89 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Hey guys, I'll be there from Thursday at noon until Saturday afternoon. I'd definitely be game for sharing a hotel room, as options seem limited. I'm a chick, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to sharing a room with a guy (as long as we had separate beds obviously lol), in the interest of saving money. :) PM me if interested.

also, is anybody taking the prop plane from Philly on Thursday? I'm coming in from South Florida and that seemed to be my best option. -_-

Flett

Postby Flett » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 pm

I'll be there too... with my mother in tow. Sorry in advance! (She's turning this into a vacation and is paying for hotel rooms. How could I say no?) But I'll gladly leave her at the hotel to go out for drinks with the group. :D

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:20 pm

I'll be arriving midday at Cornell on Friday (couldn't get out of work Thursday).
Staying Friday night and leaving Ithaca at 6pm on Saturday.
We should definitely do drinks afterwards.
Does Cornell provide dinner?

Edited to say, dinner is provided on Friday night, according to ASD info.
Room sorted out.
Last edited by Skyhook on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:42 pm

I'll be there at 5ish, I think. Anyone interested in grabbing dinner before the drinks?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:I'll be there at 5ish, I think. Anyone interested in grabbing dinner before the drinks?

The first time I read this I thought you said "anyone interested in grabbing drinks before the drinks?" I'm like, hell yea, someone knows how to get ASW started.

japes

Postby japes » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:55 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:
SisyphusHappy wrote:I'll be there at 5ish, I think. Anyone interested in grabbing dinner before the drinks?

The first time I read this I thought you said "anyone interested in grabbing drinks before the drinks?" I'm like, hell yea, someone knows how to get ASW started.

TLS ASD pregame IMO

acronyms

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:25 am

I'll be hitt'n up the bars with you guys. Anyone know of a bar where we can all meet up?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:25 am

I can't come to this, so please report who the cool kids are so I can make friends with them. Kthx.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:56 am

no idea what the good bars are but i am definitely down. probaby won't get there until really late thursday because of work :( but let me know!

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:24 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:

The itinerary is dinner, pre-drinks drinks, drinks, post-drinks drinks...right?

Their email recommend:
Stella's Cafe/Martini-Bar, 403 College Ave., Collegetown, 277-1490, http://www.kitchenandcocktail.com/
This is a popular law school hangout in Collegetown. Odds are very high that you will be rubbing shoulders with a current student.

EDIT: Eh, looks more cafe than bar.

My new vote:
The Royal Palm Tavern
209 Dryden Road
(607) 272-9636
“The Palms” has a jukebox and booths with sticky old wooden seats, but the Royal Palm Tavern remains the most popular bar in Collegetown. The best time to go is before 11pm to get one of those coveted booths.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Senior at Cornell here-I haven't been particularly impressed by Stella's bartenders, but I went a few weeks ago and it was all right. It's mostly a chill place. The Palms and Johnny O's and to an extent Dunbars are very, very Greek, in the sense that you should go only if you're a bro (not that there's anything wrong with that necessarily). Johnny O's/Dunbars are basically fraternity basements. If that's ok with you-fine. Also-no one really goes there before midnight. Dino's-pretty much the same. That said, if you're getting to Ithaca on a Thursday you should hit Dunbars-they have Long Island and other related drink specials.

The Chapter House, which is a bit of a walk from Collegetown (down Williams) has the largest selection of beers on tap in the Collegetown area. Also-free popcorn. If you like dive bars, and just want to drink a beer and eat popcorn/play pool or chill-go there. The Nines is also good for beer-plus they have pizza/food. Both have live music.

Rullof's is a hole, but in a good way. Beer and pitchers reasonably priced, although there are much better places for mixed drinks.

Which brings me to Level B--I enjoy the place. If you want something like a sex on the beach or blue motorcycle this place I prefer. If you get there on Wednesday the fishbowl special is awesome.

But Collegetown is a small place. Just walk around and you'll get a feel for what the places are like very quickly.

Oh-also-the two Japanese places in Ctown, I forget their names are good if you want to go sake bombing.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Also, keep in mind the bars stop serving at 1.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”