Is it worth visiting Columbia if I basically know I'm going? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
mbaba19

New

Is it worth visiting Columbia if I basically know I'm going?

Post by mbaba19 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Here's the situation. I pretty much know I'm going to Columbia. I've been accepted there and Duke. I'm waiting to hear back from Harvard, and if I got into Harvard, I'd probably go there, but it's a longshot anyway.

More importantly, I was born and raised in New York (Long Island, specifically), so it's not like I need to figure out if the city is right for me... I'm already familiar with the city.

I go to school in Texas, so if I wanted to go to Columbia's ASW (even though it's not even during the weekend), I'd have to fly there.

So, what do you think TLSers? Is it worth it? Should I not waste my time? Should I not have wasted your time with this topic? Lay it on me.

SupraVln180

Silver

Re: Is it worth visiting Columbia if I basically know I'm going?

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 pm

You lived in Long Island your whole life and never visited Columbia or at least Morningside Heights?

I would visit. FWIW I grew up and live in NYC and I think Morningside Heights is shit and I hate amsterdam avenue. In all fairness, I don't have Columbia numbers, but even if I did, I'd go to NYU. I'm not hating on Columbia, you might love it, but go visit to see where you are going to be living for the next 3 years.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 pm

much more worthwhile then visiting Columbia when you definitely know you're not going :)

But on a serious note, its worth it just to meet people who will be there next year and see the campus a bit earlier

Klogon

New

Post by Klogon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:23 am

And maybe checking out housing options while you are there instead of exploring the city like everyone else?

thunderflesh

New

Post by thunderflesh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:29 am

Go! It's fun!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 pm

How much money are you going to have to spend out of pocket? Can you afford it? I decided it was not worth it to shell out $500+ to visit the school I went to for undergrad. I would have done it if it was cheaper.

mbaba19

New

Post by mbaba19 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:30 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:You lived in Long Island your whole life and never visited Columbia or at least Morningside Heights?

I would visit. FWIW I grew up and live in NYC and I think Morningside Heights is shit and I hate amsterdam avenue. In all fairness, I don't have Columbia numbers, but even if I did, I'd go to NYU. I'm not hating on Columbia, you might love it, but go visit to see where you are going to be living for the next 3 years.
Ha, I mean, why WOULD I ever visit Morningside Heights unless it is to visit Columbia?
sarahh wrote:How much money are you going to have to spend out of pocket? Can you afford it? I decided it was not worth it to shell out $500+ to visit the school I went to for undergrad. I would have done it if it was cheaper.
It looks like flights are around $400 round trip. And I'm not really sure how readily they hand out a travel subsidy for flight reimbursement.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:47 pm

ASW could be a good way to meet some of your classmates and get pumped for the fall. But then again, $500 is a pretty good chunk of change.

On a side note, I made the mistake of visiting Columbia this week. Turns out they're on spring break... silly me. I live in NYC though, so no biggie.

As for my (limited) thoughts on the visit, I liked most everything except the library, which was pretty hideous. Maybe it would look a bit more lively with students in it, but I'm not sure if anything (just short of a full remodeling) could save it. Fortunately the rest of the campus is beautiful, especially the Butler and East Asian libraries. Also, the rest of the law building interior is pretty decent (exterior is pretty lame).

Anyway though, I wish I could go to ASW too... if only they would take me off the hold list! :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”