BU Preview March 25

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
ArthurDigbySellers

BU Preview March 25

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Leaving shortly after on the Friday, but I'm coming into town Thursday afternoon. Any prospectives/current students want to go to bars or something respond or PM me or whatever.

ArthurDigbySellers

Re: BU Preview March 25

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:52 pm

I guess what I should have said is: who wants to get hammered on 3/24?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:54 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I guess what I should have said is: who wants to get hammered on 3/24?

I'll see what I can do. Shame you aren't staying the night of the ASD. BU now does a bar event, and they give free drink tickets to everyone who comes (including current students to give us an incentive to come join). But yeah, if I'm free, I might be able to join if some people wanna chill on that Thursday night.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:03 pm

dakatz wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I guess what I should have said is: who wants to get hammered on 3/24?

I'll see what I can do. Shame you aren't staying the night of the ASD. BU now does a bar event, and they give free drink tickets to everyone who comes (including current students to give us an incentive to come join). But yeah, if I'm free, I might be able to join if some people wanna chill on that Thursday night.

I read about that and regretted my booking. Ideally, I only want to stay one night instead of two, and I'm not getting on a train at 5 am. But bars are tempting. I'm debating spending the money I'm being reimbursed for the train on a hotel instead of a hostel since I literally don't know anyone in Boston, but if it'll be two nights I'll just make it the former.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:00 pm

So most people on TLS went to the one on 3/4 instead?

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:09 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:So most people on TLS went to the one on 3/4 instead?

Well I'll be there at the very least...time to get our party on?

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Any recent admits going? Coming up soon...

iselldonuts

Postby iselldonuts » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm

On thursday you guys should come to the sga sponsored bar review, there will be a ton of students there.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?ei ... 57&index=1

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 pm

Cool-it's ok for non students to go? I'll be there then

iago2010

Postby iago2010 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:10 pm

I figured I’d do a quick write up of BU Preview day so anyone who couldn’t afford the trip could still get a sense of what we all experienced and maybe help make the decision a bit easier. I’ll try to include a few pics as well.

So, I made the decision to fly in the night before, which I think was a good one. I met more than a few people who had flown in on the red eye and it seemed like they barely kept from falling asleep mid-day. The weather was about as good as you could expect in March in Boston. Sunny, a bit cold but tolerable. The day started at 9am. BU had a coat check which was a GREAT idea that made the day go more smoothly. Breakfast was fine as we all mingled around, everyone slightly nervous I suppose at what to expect and not knowing anybody. Some of the faculty stopped by to chat and they were very friendly, chatting with us about whatever and taking the chance to see what other schools we were considering. It was a common question all day (to be expected).

The first planned event of the day was a mock class with Professor Farndsworth (sp?) about the McDonalds coffee case (where the old lady that spilled hot coffee on herself and won a couple million dollars). As someone who had never sat in on a law class, I found it enlightening (as well as entertaining). It certainly helped bolster BU’s big argument that they have the best teaching staff in the country. The prof also reminded me of a lawyer friend I knew which made me think that perhaps being a lawyer changes your personality a bit. But I digress. Most participants’ responses sounded as you’d expect from a 0L and I don’t fault them at all. The people I found annoying were the *cough* DBs *ahem* who sounded like gunners. Really, at preview day you need to act like that? For my sake, I hope they end up at a school I’m not considering.

After the mock class we were ushered into a new room with a panel of current students that talked about their experience at BU. From their resumes I’d imagine they are all top 10% of their class. Of course, BU would put their best foot forward and if you keep that in mind there was still plenty to glean from their talks about what is possible as a BU student/grad. From what I could tell, BU seems to be a place with (again) great faculty that really believes in their students and will do just about anything to provide the student with the experience they need to succeed. They also had some great comments about not burning bridges with firms or students because you may very well find yourself needing to interact with them again in the near future.

Lunch was good, nothing too special too report. We had some time to interact in small groups with the faculty which was good, though in some ways it felt too much like a sales pitch at some points. It was another opportunity for BU to confirm that indeed their professors are a friendly bunch.

We had a faculty panel after lunch which was actually quite useful. For those of us who haven’t done enough research (obsessing) about different classes that are offered, I felt like this was a chance to hear about some of BU’s specialties. From memory, I remember them talking about IP, transactional law (and a class on making deals which sounded pretty interesting), and their clinical opportunities. Of course, these are all areas where BU shines, and I wish I could remember more specifics but for this panel and the next I was starting to fade from jet lag.

The following panel was a group of alumni who had all been rather successful. It was inspiring if a bit intimidating to hear their stories. I could feel something of a large weight of expectation being placed on me (not necessarily by BU, but myself). It was impressive nevertheless and I remember gleaning some good info in between yawns. It did tend to focus heavily on public service as well, which is something I personally am not so interested in. If you are, BU made mention of a few pro-bono trips they took down to New Orleans (and I believe other places) which sounded pretty inspirational if you are into that sort of thing.

Finally, the day ended with ice cream and a chance to connect with people that you’d only kind of acknowledged throughout the day. People started to loosen up which made the whole thing more enjoyable, that and the bar we went out to afterward. A couple of drinks does wonders for law students, go figure. Most importantly, real law students that weren’t necessarily at the top of their classes hung out and talked to us about the real BU experience. They all had great things to say about it, tips and lamentations about the first year grind, etc. They spoke realistically to us about our situations with other schools and money, etc. For me personally it was the best part of the whole day hearing real info from real people in a no BS fashion. I suppose it confirms what one would already expect about where to get the best info about law school.

Anyway, I know that was rather generic, more generic than I intended. I’m having a hard time remembering specifics of info covered throughout the day. I just realized I forgot to mention the Financial Aid section, but the lady went over it so quickly one could hardly get any real concrete info out of it. Luckily I’d been researching that beforehand so it was more of a review, but I could imagine for the uninitiated, it was quite a handful to take in one sitting.

I hope someone finds it worthwhile, though. If you have any questions about BU don’t hesitate to PM me.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Glad to hear you had a great time, Farnsworth is a pretty incredible guy and I can assure you his real classes are just as entertaining.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Cupidity wrote:Glad to hear you had a great time, Farnsworth is a pretty incredible guy and I can assure you his real classes are just as entertaining.

--ImageRemoved--

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:09 pm

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:10 pm

iago2010 wrote:I figured I’d do a quick write up of BU Preview day so anyone who couldn’t afford the trip could still get a sense of what we all experienced and maybe help make the decision a bit easier. I’ll try to include a few pics as well.

So, I made the decision to fly in the night before, which I think was a good one. I met more than a few people who had flown in on the red eye and it seemed like they barely kept from falling asleep mid-day. The weather was about as good as you could expect in March in Boston. Sunny, a bit cold but tolerable. The day started at 9am. BU had a coat check which was a GREAT idea that made the day go more smoothly. Breakfast was fine as we all mingled around, everyone slightly nervous I suppose at what to expect and not knowing anybody. Some of the faculty stopped by to chat and they were very friendly, chatting with us about whatever and taking the chance to see what other schools we were considering. It was a common question all day (to be expected).

The first planned event of the day was a mock class with Professor Farndsworth (sp?) about the McDonalds coffee case (where the old lady that spilled hot coffee on herself and won a couple million dollars). As someone who had never sat in on a law class, I found it enlightening (as well as entertaining). It certainly helped bolster BU’s big argument that they have the best teaching staff in the country. The prof also reminded me of a lawyer friend I knew which made me think that perhaps being a lawyer changes your personality a bit. But I digress. Most participants’ responses sounded as you’d expect from a 0L and I don’t fault them at all. The people I found annoying were the *cough* DBs *ahem* who sounded like gunners. Really, at preview day you need to act like that? For my sake, I hope they end up at a school I’m not considering.

After the mock class we were ushered into a new room with a panel of current students that talked about their experience at BU. From their resumes I’d imagine they are all top 10% of their class. Of course, BU would put their best foot forward and if you keep that in mind there was still plenty to glean from their talks about what is possible as a BU student/grad. From what I could tell, BU seems to be a place with (again) great faculty that really believes in their students and will do just about anything to provide the student with the experience they need to succeed. They also had some great comments about not burning bridges with firms or students because you may very well find yourself needing to interact with them again in the near future.

Lunch was good, nothing too special too report. We had some time to interact in small groups with the faculty which was good, though in some ways it felt too much like a sales pitch at some points. It was another opportunity for BU to confirm that indeed their professors are a friendly bunch.

We had a faculty panel after lunch which was actually quite useful. For those of us who haven’t done enough research (obsessing) about different classes that are offered, I felt like this was a chance to hear about some of BU’s specialties. From memory, I remember them talking about IP, transactional law (and a class on making deals which sounded pretty interesting), and their clinical opportunities. Of course, these are all areas where BU shines, and I wish I could remember more specifics but for this panel and the next I was starting to fade from jet lag.

The following panel was a group of alumni who had all been rather successful. It was inspiring if a bit intimidating to hear their stories. I could feel something of a large weight of expectation being placed on me (not necessarily by BU, but myself). It was impressive nevertheless and I remember gleaning some good info in between yawns. It did tend to focus heavily on public service as well, which is something I personally am not so interested in. If you are, BU made mention of a few pro-bono trips they took down to New Orleans (and I believe other places) which sounded pretty inspirational if you are into that sort of thing.

Finally, the day ended with ice cream and a chance to connect with people that you’d only kind of acknowledged throughout the day. People started to loosen up which made the whole thing more enjoyable, that and the bar we went out to afterward. A couple of drinks does wonders for law students, go figure. Most importantly, real law students that weren’t necessarily at the top of their classes hung out and talked to us about the real BU experience. They all had great things to say about it, tips and lamentations about the first year grind, etc. They spoke realistically to us about our situations with other schools and money, etc. For me personally it was the best part of the whole day hearing real info from real people in a no BS fashion. I suppose it confirms what one would already expect about where to get the best info about law school.

Anyway, I know that was rather generic, more generic than I intended. I’m having a hard time remembering specifics of info covered throughout the day. I just realized I forgot to mention the Financial Aid section, but the lady went over it so quickly one could hardly get any real concrete info out of it. Luckily I’d been researching that beforehand so it was more of a review, but I could imagine for the uninitiated, it was quite a handful to take in one sitting.

I hope someone finds it worthwhile, though. If you have any questions about BU don’t hesitate to PM me.

Yeah I was very impressed that there were grads who worked for Sullivan & Cromwell and got DOJ Honors, but I don't think that's the norm

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:13 pm

And yeah, lunch did seem a little sales-pitchy sometimes, but it was awesome to meet Professor Pettit. He seems like a great teacher from the video I saw, and Preview Day confirmed that he's a really cool, nice guy

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:17 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
iago2010 wrote:I figured I’d do a quick write up of BU Preview day so anyone who couldn’t afford the trip could still get a sense of what we all experienced and maybe help make the decision a bit easier. I’ll try to include a few pics as well.

Yeah I was very impressed that there were grads who worked for Sullivan & Cromwell and got DOJ Honors, but I don't think that's the norm

And yes, I'm a firm believer that people are infinitely more honest in small groups (and slightly buzzed). As someone who couldn't make it to the bar event, what were the experiences of the "real" BU students (i.e. non-Law Review, top 20%, V5 2L summer, etc)?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:31 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote: As someone who couldn't make it to the bar event, what were the experiences of the "real" BU students (i.e. non-Law Review, top 20%, V5 2L summer, etc)?

Well, I'm a 2L on LR, but barely in the top 1/3rd (yey writing competition) and I'll be working at a V20. I actually thought about it and I know 35 people working at V100s this summer. There has to be more, as these are just ones I can think of - and a decent amount of people on LR are PI only - 5 at least I think. So there are definitely people outside of LR getting good firm jobs. For places like Cleary, SullCrom, you're prob going to need LR + good grades though (we do have people going to both of those places FYI).

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 pm

So wish I could have come...

iago2010

Postby iago2010 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:38 am

Photos from the weekend. Weather was actually pretty decent, if a bit windy. Pics turned out OK.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Love this thread. I so wish I could've gone. Do you all think it's totally useless to visit on a weekend? I know I won't be able to tour or anything, but I'd really like to get a feel for the city and time is quickly running out before deposits are due.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”