Protocol/Tips for Visiting a School that Waitlisted You?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
fakemoney

Protocol/Tips for Visiting a School that Waitlisted You?

Postby fakemoney » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:02 pm

So, I'm considering paying a visit to a school that waitlisted me and was just looking for any advice on how to go about it best. Any tips? Should one visit a school that waitlisted him/her?

bk1

Re: Protocol/Tips for Visiting a School that Waitlisted You?

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:08 pm

Why?

Some people say that it can help you gain an acceptance but I really don't see the point considering they may not even note that you were there. The best you can do is write a LOCI, though I guess you could take a tour if you feel like writing a more personal LOCI.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:12 pm

I kind of thought actually visiting might give me something more legit to write about in a LOCI. Plus, I've heard of people briefly speaking to admissions-type people during visits.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:14 pm

fakemoney wrote:I kind of thought actually visiting might give me something more legit to write about in a LOCI. Plus, I've heard of people briefly speaking to admissions-type people during visits.

It can. You may also be able to speak to them but they don't always write that down and note it in your file so speaking to an adcomm would mainly be for information rather than to help your chances.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm doing it this weekend. I just emailed admissions and asked to set up a tour/visit.

I am using it as a way to help rank the schools that I have been waitlisted at against each other in addition to the schools that I have been accepted at. IE: If I were to get off of this XYZ's waitlist I would attend over my #1 choice.

I have been waitlisted at 4 schools that would be in consideration if I were admitted. My thought process is I choose a #1 of the schools I have been admitted to and then rank that school against the ones I have been waitlisted at to help make it easier and less of a mad dash if/when I get off waitlists. Visiting is one criteria that will aid in my being able to rank the schools.

Additionally, I am using it as extra ammo in a second LOCI depending on how all rank out post visit.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:30 pm

2nd LOCI? Interesting. Never considered that.

Although I basically already offered my firstborn child to my first choice school, so I'm not quite sure what else i could say. But I would send them a LOCI a day if I could...

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:31 pm

amorfati wrote:2nd LOCI? Interesting. Never considered that.

Although I basically already offered my firstborn child to my first choice school, so I'm not quite sure what else i could say. But I would send them a LOCI a day if I could...

Yea, I have it pretty easy format wise. Mine is: 1st LOCI a month or so ago = this is what I have been up to and changes/accomplishments since I applied. 2nd LOCI is going to be about I visited your school and this is what really solidified the desire to attend. 3rd LOCI will right and left pinky fingers.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”