(Where, When and What Did You Think)
edgarfigaro

Re: WUSTL March ASD

Postby edgarfigaro » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:05 pm

just checked in, how far is ciceros?

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Hey I'm at ciceros, I'm a tall black fellow with long flowy dreads. Come find me

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:Also, I recommend that you read this if you are interested in finding things to do and places to eat/drink this weekend.

Quoting something you wrote. Okay, Dressler.

ThatOneGirlinMO

Postby ThatOneGirlinMO » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 pm

Stupid question, but what is everyone wearing tomorrow?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:30 pm

ThatOneGirlinMO wrote:Stupid question, but what is everyone wearing tomorrow?
Most people wore fairly nice clothes at the ASW I went to last year, oxfords and khakis and such for guys. It's really no big deal though, no one will look at you funny if you're just in standard cold weather clothes. It isn't formal or anything

ThatOneGirlinMO

Postby ThatOneGirlinMO » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 pm

stratocophic wrote:
ThatOneGirlinMO wrote:Stupid question, but what is everyone wearing tomorrow?
Most people wore fairly nice clothes at the ASW I went to last year, oxfords and khakis and such for guys. It's really no big deal though, no one will look at you funny if you're just in standard cold weather clothes. It isn't formal or anything

Awesome, thank you!

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:57 am

I am so not prepared for this weather.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:11 am

Hannibal wrote:I am so not prepared for this weather.

Congratulations everyone, you just got trololololed by St. Louis weather. It was in the 70's earlier this week. I wish I could say this was unusual.

(I live here and went to an earlier ASW)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:19 pm

deebs wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Also, I recommend that you read this if you are interested in finding things to do and places to eat/drink this weekend.

Quoting something you wrote. Okay, Dressler.

A Deebs sighting?!?! Wow... A Deebs sighting on TLS is almost as rare as a Deebs sighting at the bar.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Muenchen wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I am so not prepared for this weather.

Congratulations everyone, you just got trololololed by St. Louis weather. It was in the 70's earlier this week. I wish I could say this was unusual.

(I live here and went to an earlier ASW)

Yeah, I told my tour group this morning that I played golf in shorts and a polo in 80 degree weather last weekend and they didn't believe me.

Welcome to the Midwest, ladies and gents.

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Not a flame: on my way to the ASD, my car crashed on the expressway because of snow :( Luckily no other cars were involved, and no one was injured. It was a hell of a day.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:22 am

deadpoetnsp wrote:Not a flame: on my way to the ASD, my car crashed on the expressway because of snow :( Luckily no other cars were involved, and no one was injured. It was a hell of a day.

I'm sorry. I hope everything turns out well.

FWIW, I think the main part of ASW that you will miss is the open bars. There were 2 in the span of two hours and it was great. The rest you can probably get from just touring campus and talking to people.

I am extremely high on WUSTL after this. Coming from a public school, the campus is comparatively immaculate. Romo has posted about how he considers the WUSTL campus just as beautiful if not moreso than Michigan, and I definitely see where he's coming from. It was snowing when we walked in, and the snow mixed with the blossomed trees and all the matching, fantastic buildings all were pretty amazing. To be honest, I went to an undergrad that's constantly listed as having one of the most beautiful campuses, and didn't expect it to match. It did, but in the same way the best hamburger matches against the best pizza if you know what I mean.

St. Louis. I'm coming from California, and have lived in the Bay Area my whole life. I'll get more into the differences between the two for anyone that PMs me, but I must say I've loved St. Louis from the two days I've spent here. The bars that I went to are more interesting than the ones I know in the Bay Area and the place I currently live (if you've stalked me, you know where). It feels like the kind of place I'd like to live, or at least a good transition from living in the boring Bay Area suburbs my whole life to living in a big city. Central West End is a great neighborhood, and feels a bit like the nicer parts of Oakland (that's a good thing). The Loop is great too but not what I'm looking for at the moment. I'll definitely check it out later.

WUSTL the school: It's really impressive. They were definitely a little...optimistic about where they stand in regards to top schools in the country, but it's easy to see how you can lose objectivity when you have TVs in the walls outside classrooms telling you what's scheduled there, all the buildings are wired, spare no expense, fantastic faculty, etc. I would imagine it's pretty annoying when you're putting all this effort in to attract firms and students and professors, when Harvard doesn't give a shit and just attracts all that because they're named Harvard.

I'll repost this in the cycle thread. 80% sure I'm going here.

ThatOneGirlinMO

Postby ThatOneGirlinMO » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:34 pm

deadpoetnsp wrote:Not a flame: on my way to the ASD, my car crashed on the expressway because of snow :( Luckily no other cars were involved, and no one was injured. It was a hell of a day.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I came from across the state the morning of the event. Not fun, to say the least. I hit Columbia and I almost turned around.

I was really impressed with the law school. The tours could have been better coordinated so the groups wouldn't run into each other (and my guide was late), but the school is beautiful, the professors were engaging, and the students seemed to love it there.

One thing I hated was how CSO didn't have direct answers to many of the employment questions. They didn't even know their own statistics. That was a bit sketch, in my opinion, but you can tell that they really care about the students and do as much as they can to help.

I had the privilege of talking directly to some of the alumni, and they were really encouraging and honest. I was really appreciative of that aspect of the whole day. For the most part, everyone was pretty honest about their experiences, and that gave the school more credence to me.

I'm *pretty* sure that I'll be attending in the fall.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:33 pm

ThatOneGirlinMO wrote:One thing I hated was how CSO didn't have direct answers to many of the employment questions. They didn't even know their own statistics. That was a bit sketch, in my opinion, but you can tell that they really care about the students and do as much as they can to help.

+1. They couldn't even answer a simple hypothetical about employment prospects in the Islamic banking sector in Qatar. Get your shit together for ASD at least, right?

Otherwise, I had a great time. The locals were very friendly, and were receptive to cultural exchange. Let's just say that two St. Louis ladies now have a much deeper understanding of the dougie.

Some posters were concerned about crime, and there was some debate about the accuracy of the statistics. As a scientist, I felt compelled to conduct an experiment, so last night I got in a car with two strangers, with no cell phone, to see if I would get raped or murdered. As far as I can tell, neither occurred. I will note that you know you're in for a good time when the girl tells you "oh, you'll have to move the carseat" as you get into her car.

ThatOneGirlinMO

Postby ThatOneGirlinMO » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:16 pm

fatduck wrote:
ThatOneGirlinMO wrote:One thing I hated was how CSO didn't have direct answers to many of the employment questions. They didn't even know their own statistics. That was a bit sketch, in my opinion, but you can tell that they really care about the students and do as much as they can to help.

+1. They couldn't even answer a simple hypothetical about employment prospects in the Islamic banking sector in Qatar. Get your shit together for ASD at least, right?

I know, right! I need to know my prospects in Qatar, Oman, Kyrgyzstan, and Mozambique, thankyouverymuch.

I just wish they would have explained their published statistics with a bit more openness, but I don't really think they were actively trying to deceive anyone.

I've never lived in St. Louis, but I'm familiar with the city. As long as you pay attention to your surroundings in the downtown area you should be fine. Just don't cross the river into East St. Louis, IL.

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:25 pm

fatduck wrote:+1. They couldn't even answer a simple hypothetical about employment prospects in the Islamic banking sector in Qatar. Get your shit together for ASD at least, right?

At least they can name the tiers, right? :|

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:35 pm

ThatOneGirlinMO wrote:
fatduck wrote:

I know, right! I need to know my prospects in Qatar, Oman, Kyrgyzstan, and Mozambique, thankyouverymuch.

I just wish they would have explained their published statistics with a bit more openness, but I don't really think they were actively trying to deceive anyone.

I've never lived in St. Louis, but I'm familiar with the city. As long as you pay attention to your surroundings in the downtown area you should be fine. Just don't cross the river into East St. Louis, IL.

Tbf, in two years I can think of one rape, three robberies at gun point, and multplie car break ins happening to wustl students just off campus. As well as a shooting just outside off campus apartments that are predominantly students.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Current 2L here.

I live right off campus and crime is not a problem. I'm sure it could be, but for the fact that the Wustl and University City police patrol all the time.

And in response to job statistics, it's not really that fair to hold the CSO to such a high standard... have other campuses been able to provide that kind of information?

A lot of that info is already out there, such as last year's NLJ 250 employment and total employment, so I am assuming you all asked something like "what portion of 1L's have summer jobs as of right now?" or "what portion of 2L's are doing summer SA's with NLJ 250's this year?" I mean the only way the CSO would know the employment information is if the students informed them. The CSO tells us to keep them updated on our job search / employment status, but hardly anyone really does... Also, March is when the employment plans of a lot of 1Ls and 2Ls (those who didn't get SA's out of OCI) start to materialize. Any information they told you would be horribly under-representative.

I can tell you that almost everyone who didn't make the OCI or federal externship cuts has something lined up for the summer, even though it isn't perhaps what they really wanted (e.g. state trial court externship, clerking with a small firm, volunteering at legal aid, etc).

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
ThatOneGirlinMO wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Tbf, in two years I can think of one rape, three robberies at gun point, and multplie car break ins happening to wustl students just off campus. As well as a shooting just outside off campus apartments that are predominantly students.
I went to Vandy for undergrad and it was just as bad if not worse despite being located in the midtown area of Nashville. "Forcible fondlings," armed holdups from cars and on foot, break-ins w/ cars and apartments, and other bad stuff happened frequently around campus, probably something every other week or so. It's not an uncommon thing for a semi-urban school - just have to be smart and try not to be on the sketchier streets after dark.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:59 pm

ThatOneGirlinMO wrote:I was really impressed with the law school. The tours could have been better coordinated so the groups wouldn't run into each other (and my guide was late), but the school is beautiful, the professors were engaging, and the students seemed to love it there.

Apparently I was in your group. The tour was a little weird since it stopped like 40 minutes before the scheduled end and we just stood around. I'm not sure how much this would have annoyed me if standing up hadn't been painful for me this weekend (busted back), but it was weird. I felt that a bit of the ASW was filler because they didn't have us sitting in on a class.

FAR262

Postby FAR262 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:44 pm

I've never lived in St. Louis, but I'm familiar with the city. As long as you pay attention to your surroundings in the downtown area you should be fine. Just don't cross the river into East St. Louis, IL.[/quote]

Tbf, in two years I can think of one rape, three robberies at gun point, and multplie car break ins happening to wustl students just off campus. As well as a shooting just outside off campus apartments that are predominantly students.[/quote]I went to Vandy for undergrad and it was just as bad if not worse despite being located in the midtown area of Nashville. "Forcible fondlings," armed holdups from cars and on foot, break-ins w/ cars and apartments, and other bad stuff happened frequently around campus, probably something every other week or so. It's not an uncommon thing for a semi-urban school - just have to be smart and try not to be on the sketchier streets after dark.[/quote]

+1 My undergrad wasn't in a real city and there were similar occurrences.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:35 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
ThatOneGirlinMO wrote:I know, right! I need to know my prospects in Qatar, Oman, Kyrgyzstan, and Mozambique, thankyouverymuch. I just wish they would have explained their published statistics with a bit more openness, but I don't really think they were actively trying to deceive anyone.I 've never lived in St. Louis, but I'm familiar with the city. As long as you pay attention to your surroundings in the downtown area you should be fine. Just don't cross the river into East St. Louis, IL.
I went to Vandy for undergrad and it was just as bad if not worse despite being located in the midtown area of Nashville. "Forcible fondlings," armed holdups from cars and on foot, break-ins w/ cars and apartments, and other bad stuff happened frequently around campus, probably something every other week or so. It's not an uncommon thing for a semi-urban school - just have to be smart and try not to be on the sketchier streets after dark.

Sure, although violent crime per student seems a little high around campus. Certainly higher than the school I transfered from. I'm not advocating against wustl but it is certainly bad enough to be a consideration when deciding where to attend.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Keep in mind these are just the things I've heard, I'm sure there are more circumstances I just never open those crime alert emails

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Sure, although violent crime per student seems a little high around campus. Certainly higher than the school I transfered from. I'm not advocating against wustl but it is certainly bad enough to be a consideration when deciding where to attend.

Gonna have to strongly disagree with you here. The crime level on and around WUSTL's campus is very similar to most schools, especially urban schools. We had forcible rapes, robberies, and even a few shootings near my old school in Illinois. It is just a part of life, especially in the city. I think the areas around WUSTL to the south, west, and east of the school are very safe. North is a tad bit rougher (the Loop/U-City/the neighborhood Patriot and I live in), but still pretty safe. I would exercise caution around the Loop, but it is by no means the hood.

And as far as living, both Clayton and CWE are very nice and very safe.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:47 pm

I can only speak of the campuses I know, but WUSTL's seemed safer than any I've been to save Sonoma State (Berkeley, for example...relative hellhole). A lot of those issues aren't even city problems so much as college problems.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”