UVA ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
joeshmo39

Silver

Re: UVA ASW

Post by joeshmo39 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:34 am

Oh chillins'. We Wahoo Lawhoos have been on spring break and less than attentive. Many of us, myself included, also had journal tryouts and work on our briefs. I think the March ASW and the April ASW are both fine, though I think the April ASW overlaps with the softball tournament which is a lot of fun. Also, not to be partial, I will be here for the April ASW and out of town for the March ASW.

If you are going to happy hour on the corner:

I know Mellow Mushroom has a ton of beer and a decent happy hour. The Virginian also has good food and some fair drink prices. Boylan Heights - I am unsure of drink specials but the food is pretty good if you like burgers.
Trinity and Three are both places for later in the night (no earlier than 11p.m.)

Basil is a good restaurant on the corner and so is Marco and Luca's if you want some simple dumplings.

Post here if you need some more tips, I'm no expert but I can try to help.

rli66

Bronze

Post by rli66 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:19 pm

Damn. I'm not gonna be able to make this one after all. Perhaps the next one..

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:29 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Oh chillins'. We Wahoo Lawhoos have been on spring break and less than attentive. Many of us, myself included, also had journal tryouts and work on our briefs. I think the March ASW and the April ASW are both fine, though I think the April ASW overlaps with the softball tournament which is a lot of fun. Also, not to be partial, I will be here for the April ASW and out of town for the March ASW.

If you are going to happy hour on the corner:

I know Mellow Mushroom has a ton of beer and a decent happy hour. The Virginian also has good food and some fair drink prices. Boylan Heights - I am unsure of drink specials but the food is pretty good if you like burgers.
Trinity and Three are both places for later in the night (no earlier than 11p.m.)

Basil is a good restaurant on the corner and so is Marco and Luca's if you want some simple dumplings.

Post here if you need some more tips, I'm no expert but I can try to help.
April 1st ASW - Mellow Mushroom around 7 pm?

I remember hearing that there is some kind of UVA-provided BBQ for people who get there the night before but I haven't heard anything else about it...

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:01 pm

alex_cryp wrote:I'm going in April. I signed up for the stay with a student option. Haven't heard back yet.
Anyone else get an email last night essentially saying that they won't be able to accommodate everyone looking to stay with a student for ASW II because there is double the demand than for ASWI?

Argh.. I was planning on staying for three nights and now I'm going to have to book a hotel. Is there a nearby hotel a bunch of TLSers are staying at and, if so, which one?

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:12 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
alex_cryp wrote:I'm going in April. I signed up for the stay with a student option. Haven't heard back yet.
Anyone else get an email last night essentially saying that they won't be able to accommodate everyone looking to stay with a student for ASW II because there is double the demand than for ASWI?

Argh.. I was planning on staying for three nights and now I'm going to have to book a hotel. Is there a nearby hotel a bunch of TLSers are staying at and, if so, which one?
What????? I didn't get that...and I really hope I don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:15 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:

"Unfortunately, we have received a significant (almost twofold) increase of requests for students host for April as compared to last weekend's event. We apologize for the short notice, but we were committed to trying our utmost to finding every prospective a student host. While we will still continue to attempt to recruit hosts, we encourage you to please try to make alternative arrangements (http://www.virginia.edu/placestostay.html). We will let you know as soon as possible whether we able to provide accommodations for anyone else, but please realize we will almost certainly not be able to give a host to every prospective student who requested one as we were last weekend. This applies especially to people who made their requests recently. "

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:59 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:

"Unfortunately, we have received a significant (almost twofold) increase of requests for students host for April as compared to last weekend's event. We apologize for the short notice, but we were committed to trying our utmost to finding every prospective a student host. While we will still continue to attempt to recruit hosts, we encourage you to please try to make alternative arrangements (http://www.virginia.edu/placestostay.html). We will let you know as soon as possible whether we able to provide accommodations for anyone else, but please realize we will almost certainly not be able to give a host to every prospective student who requested one as we were last weekend. This applies especially to people who made their requests recently. "
My host contacted me yesterday. I think I will withdraw today so hopefully it'll open up a spot for someone else. I'm sure I'm not going to UVA but I was just going to go check it out anyway just to be sure. I didn't realize so many people didn't have a student to stay with. Anyway, hope everybody has fun!

Theanswerm

New

Post by Theanswerm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:31 pm

So...It looks like a few of us are without housing for the weekend. It looks like I don't have any other option but to stay in a hotel for the visit. I'm arriving on Thursday the 31st and leaving on the 3rd.

I was hoping that someone else would want to defray the costs of housing for the trip and would like to share a room with me. I'm a 25 year old guy, who is looking at UVA and Northwestern for the fall. I'm thinking of going for the Cavalier Inn because it seems somewhat close to campus and also somewhat cheap. Is there anyone who is interested? PM me any details TODAY because the reservations have to be made, obviously, soon. If you can only share the room Friday and Saturday, that would also be fine.

I know that finding a roommate like this might be a little strange, but I'm a pretty normal guy who just happens to also be pretty cheap.

Thanks!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 pm

See you guys this weekend!!

And FWIW, I got an email similar to that one about no hosts being available and got an email within the next couple days saying they got one for me. So I think they really are trying...

You guys going to the bbq thing on Thursday?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Still haven't gotten any emails about hosts--anyone else in this boat?

Theanswerm

New

Post by Theanswerm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:50 pm

I think that all of the spots to stay with students are full, so if you haven't heard anything, you probably won't.

Which is why someone should totally split the costs of a hotel room with an interested party (me). Eh, eh?

Theanswerm

New

Post by Theanswerm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:34 pm

OK, I know that the constantly posting for a roommate might not be an effective way to find a roommate, but I have to try, right?

I found the Holiday Inn Express Orange for about 130 a night from the 31st to the 3rd (check out in morning). There are two beds there. If you are at all interested, PM me, and we can chat on the phone. It would be about 190 for the whole weekend.

Thanks so much. Sorry for the multiple posts.

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Theanswerm wrote:I think that all of the spots to stay with students are full, so if you haven't heard anything, you probably won't.

Which is why someone should totally split the costs of a hotel room with an interested party (me). Eh, eh?
Just got off the phone with UVA Admissions. Essentially, the lady on the other end told me that if I haven't heard back by now, they're probably not going to host me.

answerm: I'll be PMing you in a second. Anyone willing to split a hotel room for Thursday night (I'll only be there one night) is free to PM me as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alex_cryp

New

Post by alex_cryp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:53 am

dulcatis wrote:
I'll be at the BBQ, though I hear it's going to be cold and rainy.

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 am

alex_cryp wrote:
dulcatis wrote:
I'll be at the BBQ, though I hear it's going to be cold and rainy.
What time does that take place? The two emails yesterday from Faulk didn't really have an itinerary..

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 am

There's a schedule on the admitted students website. I want to say 5:30?

I'll be there, esp since their version of "cold" is definitely better than NYC this week. IT IS ALMOST APRIL ARGH.

kelc213

New

Post by kelc213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 pm

dulcatis wrote:There's a schedule on the admitted students website. I want to say 5:30?

I'll be there, esp since their version of "cold" is definitely better than NYC this week. IT IS ALMOST APRIL ARGH.
I hear that. I think Boston reached a balmy 40 degrees today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 pm

How are you guys getting from the airport to the law school?

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:56 pm

dulcatis wrote:How are you guys getting from the airport to the law school?
My 1L buddy's roommate is gonna pick me up. What day/time are you getting in?

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:14 pm

I get in tomorrow at 4:45. Should've thought about this earlier haha

juevonate

New

Post by juevonate » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:23 pm

So I'm something of a procrastinator, and just bought a room at the local Super 8 for $55. If anyone wants to split it, just find me at the barbecue. I'll be the really tall white guy...probably in a white shirt and black jacket.

I'm also open to carpooling options.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 pm

Sooo Joan Rivers is on my flight to charlottesville. Weiiiird.

alex_cryp

New

Post by alex_cryp » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:41 pm

dulcatis wrote:Sooo Joan Rivers is on my flight to charlottesville. Weiiiird.

that's nuts!

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:20 pm

I wonder if I met any of you guys tonight...anyone going to Bar Review later??

Either way I'll see you tomorrow!

OldManHunger

New

Post by OldManHunger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:34 pm

Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”