Bronze

Re: Michigan ASW II

Post by NikaneOkie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:29 pm

What dates are ASW II again?

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:30 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:What dates are ASW II again?
March 31 - April something. 2nd? Whatever, that weekend.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:41 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:What dates are ASW II again?
3/31 - 4/2.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:43 pm

That's the same as Columbia or very close isn't it?

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 pm

NZA wrote:
Boggs wrote:I'll be there. Driving cross country for the UVA-->Michigan-->Berkeley ASWs. Then home to the PNW. Are we all going to meet up?
You're from PNW? WA?

And I think a TLS meet up is definitely in order.
Yes I am.

And looking at the schedule, Thursday night might be a good TLS meet up time. Anyone know good places? Or are we all going to ASW because we know nothing about Ann Arbor?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Boggs wrote:
NZA wrote:
Boggs wrote:I'll be there. Driving cross country for the UVA-->Michigan-->Berkeley ASWs. Then home to the PNW. Are we all going to meet up?
You're from PNW? WA?

Yes I am.

And looking at the schedule, Thursday night might be a good TLS meet up time. Anyone know good places? Or are we all going to ASW because we know nothing about Ann Arbor?
No way...good to see another Washingtonian heading to Ann Arbor.

I've got a list of some spots I'm supposed to check out. I think Friday they're doing an organized debauch. Saturday I'll still be around, but I don't know if other people will be. You're probably right that Thursday is the jam.

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:28 pm

NZA wrote:
Boggs wrote:
NZA wrote:
You're from PNW? WA?

Yes I am.

I've got a list of some spots I'm supposed to check out. I think Friday they're doing an organized debauch. Saturday I'll still be around, but I don't know if other people will be. You're probably right that Thursday is the jam.
Always good to bump into folks from the PNW. I noted the Friday event. Didn't know if we wanted to double up on that or not. There's nothing after 7pm on Thursday. Saturday would be another option, but I've got to jet west immediately after the last event. I'm hitting 8 law schools as I head west and I'm on a really tight schedule.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:02 am

Sooo...Thursday it is?

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 am

I'll be there! Very much looking forward to meeting everyone :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:18 am

NZA wrote:Sooo...Thursday it is?
Sounds good. I'll PM you my #.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:19 am

Boggs wrote:
NZA wrote:Sooo...Thursday it is?
Sounds good. I'll PM you my #.
Cool...anyone else wants to PM me, I'll add you to the list. :)

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 am

Hoping to go there, but not sure if I can afford it :(
STILL trying to figure out flights.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:01 pm

applepiecrust wrote:Hoping to go there, but not sure if I can afford it :(
I had the same issue. About a week ago, I found a round trip that cost less than $300, which was a great deal. However, when I went to register for the flight today, the cheapest round trip I could find was $500. Although it's hardly ideal, I did figure out a cheap way to make the trip -- by Greyhound bus. Round trip is $159, but I will be riding all Wednesday and Saturday nights (each trip is at least 13 hours). It sucks, but it saves me over $300.

TL;DR -- I registered for the 3/31-4/2 Preview Weekend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:39 pm

applepiecrust wrote:Hoping to go there, but not sure if I can afford it :(
+1

I'm considering taking the train.

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:35 pm

I attended the first ASW and on my way from AA to the airport I took a limo-sedan taxi. It cost $45, which I split with another attendee (we were both leaving super, super early Sunday morning). The ride was AMAZING and comfortable, and from what I was told, it comes out cheaper than a normal taxi. I happened to grab a card (for reimbursement purposes). It is Zirker Transportation Service [(734) 595 2992].

From the Airport TO AA, I had originally taken the AA Flyer--a super comfortable bus (free wi-fi, water, funny driver, etc). It was $20 on the spot (I think $15 if you reserved in advance). The only problem is that is doesn't drop you off right next to campus. Rather, it dropped you off a $10 taxi ride away from campus. There were taxi's waiting at the bus stop though.

I really recommend Zirker if you can get it (who doesn't like a mini-limo ride). Hope that helps!

PS Michigan was AMAZING!!!

camelcrema

Bronze

Post by camelcrema » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Joining in on this. Booking my flights now, will probably be staying at a hotel near the airport the night before. Anyone have any places that they would recommend or should be avoided?

Also, is it just me, or are flights to Detroit way more expensive than they should be?

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:07 pm

NZA wrote:
Boggs wrote:
NZA wrote:
You're from PNW? WA?

Yes I am.

Prepare to be completely exhausted by Saturday. If you're staying over in a hotel Wednesday a little less so, but for ASW 1 I woke up at 6 am Thursday for a flight and then had non-stop panels, Q&As, mixers, bar reviews, and parties for those 48 hours of preview weekend. A lot of the parties/bar events didn't start until 10 p.m. and the morning activities start by 8:30 or so, so unless you plan on skipping some events you won't be sleeping much but will be having a lot of fun.

Needless to say, I meant to do some exploring around AA Saturday but ended up passing out in my hotel room for a good chunk of the day. Enjoy!
Last edited by R.R. Raskolnikov on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:00 pm

camelcrema wrote:Joining in on this. Booking my flights now, will probably be staying at a hotel near the airport the night before. Anyone have any places that they would recommend or should be avoided?

Also, is it just me, or are flights to Detroit way more expensive than they should be?
My flight round trip was about $500, and that's leaving at 7PM Sunday. Lame.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 pm

There is a whole thread for this! So glad I found it.

RIPmitchhedberg

New

Post by RIPmitchhedberg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:07 pm

AreJay711 wrote:My flight arrives at 9:50 in the morning and the $15 bus leaves at 9:45 so I'll be sitting in the detroit airport until 12:15 if anyone else gets stuck. Probably to early to drink :(
Instead of waiting for the bus you should just split a cab with me/us. Per person it would probably cost less than $15 anyway.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Is anyone else getting weird error messages when trying to log in here:

http://web.law.umich.edu/PreviewWeekend/login.aspx

?

EDIT: just for reference, my error reads "there is no row at position 0"

and then a bunch of computer stuff I don't understand....

I tried using safari and firefox to no avail.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:23 pm

artichoke wrote:Is anyone else getting weird error messages when trying to log in here:

http://web.law.umich.edu/PreviewWeekend/login.aspx

?

EDIT: just for reference, my error reads "there is no row at position 0"

and then a bunch of computer stuff I don't understand....

I tried using safari and firefox to no avail.
No...that's odd. :?

Try Chrome? That's what I use, and I registered without any issues. If that fails, you can probably just email the Admissions Office at Mich and let them know you'd like a spot.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Also, have people received info about accommodations, etc.? All I got was the "Thank you for registering" email.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:17 am

NZA wrote:Also, have people received info about accommodations, etc.? All I got was the "Thank you for registering" email.
That's all I got as well... they will probably send something out closer to the event.

I'm a little bummed because when I signed up I only signed up for Fri/Sat at the hotel (my sister lives near detroit so I was planning on spending a few nights at her house as well). Then I started thinking I didn't want to miss out on Thursday night, but now I see that all the rooms are booked! OH well.

camelcrema

Bronze

Post by camelcrema » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:23 am

artichoke wrote:
NZA wrote:Also, have people received info about accommodations, etc.? All I got was the "Thank you for registering" email.
That's all I got as well... they will probably send something out closer to the event.

I'm a little bummed because when I signed up I only signed up for Fri/Sat at the hotel (my sister lives near detroit so I was planning on spending a few nights at her house as well). Then I started thinking I didn't want to miss out on Thursday night, but now I see that all the rooms are booked! OH well.

When you were registering, there are supposed to be radio buttons where you choose which nights you want accommodations for. Is that what you meant, or did you mean as a follow-up to that?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”