Come to michigannnnnn!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Re: Michigan ASW II

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:13 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:AWESOME write up

Come to michigannnnnn!
Yay! Sigh. It is under serious consideration... Congrats on being all decided yourself!

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:AWESOME write up

Come to michigannnnnn!
Yay! Sigh. It is under serious consideration... Congrats on being all decided yourself!
Yeah, it's seriously such a huge weight off my shoulders. I don't think I even realized just how stressed out I was about deciding until now. I hope you have a great time at Boalt...and then pick Mich anyway. :wink:

anti-phronimos

New

Post by anti-phronimos » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:21 pm

excellence--great post, but keep phid on the down low so we can feasibly get in, ey?

Clark's mock class was probably the best moment of my weekend. My username probably reveals my biases and Clark's take on legal education had the signature Aristotelian bent that I love. He is Catholic, so maybe it's not terribly surprising that his vision can be traced back to human excellence and practical wisdom as described in the nicomachean ethics and A's rhetoric.

I really hope I land his class next fall.

OldManHunger

New

Post by OldManHunger » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:22 pm

Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Wow. Great posts. Really makes me want to get pulled from the waitlist even more.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 pm

OldManHunger wrote:
rui wrote:Now part of me wonders if this is because everyone actually likes each other, and the other part of me wonders if this is because there isn't much else to do but sit inside/half the class lives in the LC/ so everyone kind of has to get along because you don't have many other options..
Critical thinking is a great thing. This is awesome. Is it X because I want it to be X? Or is it X because of Y, which I don't want? It's about thinking outside of what you want to be true. Rui is thinking... oh yes... like a lawyer.
Rui is a smart guy.
anti-phronimos wrote:excellence--great post, but keep phid on the down low so we can feasibly get in, ey?

Clark's mock class was probably the best moment of my weekend. My username probably reveals my biases and Clark's take on legal education had the signature Aristotelian bent that I love. He is Catholic, so maybe it's not terribly surprising that his vision can be traced back to human excellence and practical wisdom as described in the nicomachean ethics and A's rhetoric.

I really hope I land his class next fall.
Agreed. I'm taking a risk here. The paragraph on the Phid house will mysteriously disappear in a few hours...

srvyorgeneral

New

Post by srvyorgeneral » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Had a wonderful time at the ASW and give major kudos to Dean Z and her team for pulling together not only a spectacularly organized event that demanded a lot of time from an array of diverse participants (particularly the alums, profs, and deans), but also for the thoughtfulness and care that went in to ensuring each event had a unique perspective or insight that wasn't offered in the event that preceded it. I was amazed to find myself interested or engaged in each forum/event I went to, which seems a hard feat to pull off given the ASW is basically 2 straight days jam-packed with info sessions. Agree with all that Clark's mock class/diatribe was a fantastic hook, and I, for one, have a lasting memory of Dean C dancing on the lectern during the SFF Auction.

Still making up my mind, but Michigan scored big this weekend.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote: .
I really don't know why I thought you were a dude

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:00 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
It's okay, I thought you were a human/vulcan hybrid.

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:06 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Excellence=a Habit you have now achieved enough geek points to be my friend!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 pm

er doctor wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Excellence=a Habit you have now achieved enough geek points to be my friend!
Ding ding ding ding ding! Yaaaay. If only I'd acheived this before the ASW we could have hung out!

rui

New

Post by rui » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:08 pm

ER Doctor -- you wouldn't happen to be insanely good at identifying music released in the year 1991, would you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:27 pm

rui wrote:ER Doctor -- you wouldn't happen to be insanely good at identifying music released in the year 1991, would you?
Did you know it's only 11:29 where you are?

camelcrema

Bronze

Post by camelcrema » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:40 pm

AAaaaaahhh Michigan is so pretty!! I agree with most of what people have been saying about ASW.

Ann Arbor is an awesome university town, with much of downtown being filled with great bars, restaurants, and a lot of stores selling every imaginable kind of Michigan merchandise (I saw a full-size backyard grill painted bright blue with the yellow Michigan 'M').

I also have to mention the happy hour specials--I went out for drinks with a few people before ASW started and the four of us each got a cocktail/mixed drink for a total of under 20 dollars. Of course, this led to my listening to Dean Caminker's introductory comments with a slight buzz...

The 'collegial' aspect was kind of excessively hammered home, but there appeared to be some truth to it. No one seemed overly ferocious in competition, but a few non-program participants to whom I spoke did mention that "you will not realize what competitive assholes people are until they enter law school", and I know that applies to every law school, but it made it clear that Mich students aren't all as happy-go-lucky as the school made them seem.

The faculty are mostly accessible, sociable people, many of whom seem to be excellent lecturers. I sat in on one class in addition to the ones on the admitted student schedule, and was very impressed. It was Bankruptcy, and the professor (sorry, forget his name) was engaging the students in conversation, joking with them, but at the same time, getting his point across. It seemed to be a very easy class in which one could get absorbed.

After ASW, I wandered around downtown with some admitted students (hi habit and artichoke!), and we hit Zingerman's and the farmer's market area. This was an awesome little area, with a fantastic grocery store that you foodies have to check out. Example: the seafood section had three varieties of the "oyster of the day". Dozens of varieties of mustard. Bakery. You get the idea. The line for Zingerman's was out the door and around the corner of the street, but after trying one of their sandwiches, I understand why.

All in all, a good weekend :)

Except for that trivia. Music from 1991?! Argh.

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:55 pm

rui wrote:ER Doctor -- you wouldn't happen to be insanely good at identifying music released in the year 1991, would you?
What a strange question. I do remember 1991 and its music fairly well (I was a Junior in college and either working my tail off or drunk most of the year).. but what's your question?

rui

New

Post by rui » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:53 pm

er doctor wrote:What a strange question. I do remember 1991 and its music fairly well (I was a Junior in college and either working my tail off or drunk most of the year).. but what's your question?
Hah -- 1991 Music was one of the rounds @ the school sponsored trivia event last weekend at the ASW. I sat with a doctor who was incredibly good at identifying the tunes, was wondering if it was you!
Excellence = a Habit wrote: Did you know it's only 11:29 where you are?
Currently feeling strange knowing that it's 2:52 here, and 5:52 in Michigan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:56 pm

rui wrote:
er doctor wrote:What a strange question. I do remember 1991 and its music fairly well (I was a Junior in college and either working my tail off or drunk most of the year).. but what's your question?
Hah -- 1991 Music was one of the rounds @ the school sponsored trivia event last weekend at the ASW. I sat with a doctor who was incredibly good at identifying the tunes, was wondering if it was you!
Excellence = a Habit wrote: Did you know it's only 11:29 where you are?
Currently feeling strange knowing that it's 2:52 here, and 5:52 in Michigan.
Nope I missed the trivia night. I didn't know there was another doctor there. (Actually missed most of the socializing because I dragged my boyfriend along and we spent the nights together)

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:25 am

camelcrema wrote:AAaaaaahhh Michigan is so pretty!! I agree with most of what people have been saying about ASW.

Ann Arbor is an awesome university town, with much of downtown being filled with great bars, restaurants, and a lot of stores selling every imaginable kind of Michigan merchandise (I saw a full-size backyard grill painted bright blue with the yellow Michigan 'M').

I also have to mention the happy hour specials--I went out for drinks with a few people before ASW started and the four of us each got a cocktail/mixed drink for a total of under 20 dollars. Of course, this led to my listening to Dean Caminker's introductory comments with a slight buzz...

The 'collegial' aspect was kind of excessively hammered home, but there appeared to be some truth to it. No one seemed overly ferocious in competition, but a few non-program participants to whom I spoke did mention that "you will not realize what competitive assholes people are until they enter law school", and I know that applies to every law school, but it made it clear that Mich students aren't all as happy-go-lucky as the school made them seem.

The faculty are mostly accessible, sociable people, many of whom seem to be excellent lecturers. I sat in on one class in addition to the ones on the admitted student schedule, and was very impressed. It was Bankruptcy, and the professor (sorry, forget his name) was engaging the students in conversation, joking with them, but at the same time, getting his point across. It seemed to be a very easy class in which one could get absorbed.

After ASW, I wandered around downtown with some admitted students (hi habit and artichoke!), and we hit Zingerman's and the farmer's market area. This was an awesome little area, with a fantastic grocery store that you foodies have to check out. Example: the seafood section had three varieties of the "oyster of the day". Dozens of varieties of mustard. Bakery. You get the idea. The line for Zingerman's was out the door and around the corner of the street, but after trying one of their sandwiches, I understand why.

All in all, a good weekend :)

Except for that trivia. Music from 1991?! Argh.
HIII!!

GUESS WHAT? I finally saw friday!!! now I get all the references. I have to say, the video is insanely inappropriate for a 13 year old.

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:27 am

Ps - I think the worst part of that entire video is

we
we
we
so excited
we so excited

OH.MY.LORD

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 am

Cancel that. the worst part is definitely the pseudo-rapper who will now never have any street rep no matter how awesome any of his later work may be.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 am

Wait.

I think I ate lunch with you guys. :shock:

Or...maybe you were with that other group of students? Oh, man, I have no idea. :lol:

cucullu

Bronze

Post by cucullu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 am

Yay and hurray to everyone for the fantastic ASW review posts! The collegiality has already begun.

Hope I get a chance to visit in the next couple of weeks. Not sure I can make a decision about Hogwarts til I see it for myself.

Cheers all,
Cuc

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:36 am

cucullu wrote:Yay and hurray to everyone for the fantastic ASW review posts! The collegiality has already begun.

Hope I get a chance to visit in the next couple of weeks. Not sure I can make a decision about Hogwarts til I see it for myself.

Cheers all,
Cuc
I love the school and I love the people, but if I hear that word one more goddamn time I will...probably smile and politely ask that you not use it again. :wink:

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:47 am

whirledpeas86 wrote:
cucullu wrote:Yay and hurray to everyone for the fantastic ASW review posts! The collegiality has already begun.

Cheers all,
Cuc
I love the school and I love the people, but if I hear that word one more goddamn time I will...probably smile and politely ask that you not use it again. :wink:
Hey whirledpeas that's not very collegial of you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”