Visiting Columbia

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Kiwi917

Re: Visiting Columbia

Postby Kiwi917 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 pm

I agree with everything that has already been said about last week's ASW but just wanted to add some thoughts. I was really impressed with how many faculty and current students came out to the different events. It was easy to find people to talk to, ask questions, etc. and I think I got a good feel for the atmosphere. Everyone was much more laid back than I expected. I sat in on one class - Principles of Intellectual Property - and it was definitely engaging. I saw two apartments: one two bedroom in UAH general grad housing that was way bigger than I would have expected, and one couples one bedroom in law school housing that was average sized, charming, but a little old. As for the question about what to wear, business casual was the norm but there were more than a few people wearing nice jeans. Also, there were two parents on my campus tour (they seemed a little out of place). Lastly, Jill Nussbaum was really great about answering questions and putting me in touch with other administrators as needed. I visited NYU and CLS on the same trip and was initially expecting to like NYU better, but the opposite ended up happening. Very glad I made the trip. Feel free to ask me any other questions and I'll try to respond.

IndyHCKM

Postby IndyHCKM » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:56 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:I agree with everything that has already been said about last week's ASW but just wanted to add some thoughts. I was really impressed with how many faculty and current students came out to the different events. It was easy to find people to talk to, ask questions, etc. and I think I got a good feel for the atmosphere. Everyone was much more laid back than I expected. I sat in on one class - Principles of Intellectual Property - and it was definitely engaging. I saw two apartments: one two bedroom in UAH general grad housing that was way bigger than I would have expected, and one couples one bedroom in law school housing that was average sized, charming, but a little old. As for the question about what to wear, business casual was the norm but there were more than a few people wearing nice jeans. Also, there were two parents on my campus tour (they seemed a little out of place). Lastly, Jill Nussbaum was really great about answering questions and putting me in touch with other administrators as needed. I visited NYU and CLS on the same trip and was initially expecting to like NYU better, but the opposite ended up happening. Very glad I made the trip. Feel free to ask me any other questions and I'll try to respond.

I agree with the commentary on the current students and faculty. There were current students running around at all of the events. I never had any trouble finding one if I wanted to speak with one. Faculty were a bit more difficult to find milling about, as most were engaged in conversation, but a few minutes wait and I could speak with them also.

I hate to continue the comparison to NYU, but I think it helps to highlight what I thought about Columbia. At NYU I felt like the professors were more engaging, but I also felt a bit like they were trying to sell more more than the Columbia professors. Whenever I spoke to Columbia professors I felt like I was talking to any other random person at an event. They were interesting to talk to, but they didn't feel like they were making an effort to impress me or win me over, they were just a fellow event attendee. The NYU professors on the other hand were always playing the role of "I'm here, and you need to ask me questions so I can give you feedback."

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:45 pm

FWIW, us current students enjoyed meeting you admits! I only met one self-identified TLSer (who was awesome, btw), but everyone seemed cool and genuinely excited to be at Columbia.

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:51 am

Lem37 wrote:FWIW, us current students enjoyed meeting you admits! I only met one self-identified TLSer (who was awesome, btw), but everyone seemed cool and genuinely excited to be at Columbia.

awww =D

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”