Berekeley ASW 2011 Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Re: Berekeley ASW 2011

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm

FYI - The admitted students website has been updated with a brief outline of the ASW.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:23 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:FYI - The admitted students website has been updated with a brief outline of the ASW.
Thanks!

dj666

New

Post by dj666 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:38 pm

Anybody else going to the parent panel (as in student-parents, not parents of students)? It's cool of Berkeley to acknowledge the concerns of students whose reading list will include Curious George Goes Camping.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:42 pm

dj666 wrote:Anybody else going to the parent panel (as in student-parents, not parents of students)? It's cool of Berkeley to acknowledge the concerns of students whose reading list will include Curious George Goes Camping.
You know I will! Is there a place to view sesame street in the building? :)

dj666

New

Post by dj666 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dj666 wrote:Anybody else going to the parent panel (as in student-parents, not parents of students)? It's cool of Berkeley to acknowledge the concerns of students whose reading list will include Curious George Goes Camping.
I have at least a dozen episodes on my phone. You're welcome to borrow it during naptime.

Looking forward to meeting you! I officially withdrew from Penn, Michigan, et al, so I'm all about Berkeley. My superstitious side won't allow me to commit officially until after ASW, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dj666

New

Post by dj666 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:53 pm

p.s. Just to clarify, that's not my kid in my avatar. That's a creepy close-up of the devil's spawn from the movie "The Omen." I'm connected by name only.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:53 pm

dj666 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I have at least a dozen episodes on my phone. You're welcome to borrow it during naptime.

Looking forward to meeting you! I officially withdrew from Penn, Michigan, et al, so I'm all about Berkeley. My superstitious side won't allow me to commit officially until after ASW, though.
Haha I have them on my laptop which is glued to me, and we watch on the web. Should put some on my ipod too. When I have to kill time at school I take him to a seminar room and project it on the large screen and use the room speakers, he loves it :mrgreen:

I saw that you withdrew, looking forward to meeting you on the other coast! I am still deciding, it sounds so exciting to have your mind made up!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:55 pm

dj666 wrote:p.s. Just to clarify, that's not my kid in my avatar. That's a creepy close-up of the devil's spawn from the movie "The Omen." I'm connected by name only.
:lol:

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:36 pm

Maybe a silly question, but is anyone else thinking of bringing a backpack to ASW? I will be BARTing in and will be in Berkeley all day. I figure if I have a bag not only can I bring crap with me (sweatshirt/jacket, water, granola bar, etc.), but I can also take crap home with me (souvenirs picked up, paperwork handed out, etc.).

I don't want to be the only looser carrying around a backpack all day, so I thought I would get y'all's input. I haven't been to any other ASWs, so I am not sure if this having a backpack is normal or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:38 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Maybe a silly question, but is anyone else thinking of bringing a backpack to ASW? I will be BARTing in and will be in Berkeley all day. I figure if I have a bag not only can I bring crap with me (sweatshirt/jacket, water, granola bar, etc.), but I can also take crap home with me (souvenirs picked up, paperwork handed out, etc.).

I don't want to be the only looser carrying around a backpack all day, so I thought I would get y'all's input. I haven't been to any other ASWs, so I am not sure if this having a backpack is normal or not.
I carry my everyday bag, which include water, folder/binder, laptop and electronic in it. 30 lbs. everywhere. So we can be loser together.

In other news, if you want to spot me, find the guy with the giant backpack.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Maybe a silly question, but is anyone else thinking of bringing a backpack to ASW? I will be BARTing in and will be in Berkeley all day. I figure if I have a bag not only can I bring crap with me (sweatshirt/jacket, water, granola bar, etc.), but I can also take crap home with me (souvenirs picked up, paperwork handed out, etc.).

I carry my everyday bag, which include water, folder/binder, laptop and electronic in it. 30 lbs. everywhere. So we can be loser together.

In other news, if you want to spot me, find the guy with the giant backpack.
Oops, typo--->loser, duh.

edit: r6, you've been to a few of these ASW things, no? Is it pretty normal for admits to come carrying backpacks, or will we truly be the renegades?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:49 pm

dj666 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Haha, pretty much the same for me, only I'm paranoid something will go wrong, so I won't withdraw anywhere just yet.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:32 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote: Oops, typo--->loser, duh.

edit: r6, you've been to a few of these ASW things, no? Is it pretty normal for admits to come carrying backpacks, or will we truly be the renegades?
Ladies carry bags. Guys not so much. But they gave small sacks at UVA, and plastic bags at Penn, so I was glad I had my bookbag. because everything fits in there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dj666

New

Post by dj666 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:45 pm

Tanicius wrote:Haha, pretty much the same for me, only I'm paranoid something will go wrong, so I won't withdraw anywhere just yet.
I only withdrew from schools in locations that my wife and I agreed would not work out for us or our kids (which turned out to be about 80% of my applications). Even then, I broke into a cold sweat after I sent out the withdrawal e-mails. In fact, I'm sweating a bit right now just thinking about it!

Anybody staying with a current student? Anybody searching for housing that weekend? I'll be checking out a few places just to get a feel for what's available where and at what price. And has anyone else had trouble getting into the Cal Rentals site?

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:36 pm

I had a dream last night that I was at Berkeley ASW. When we arrived, they started out by making us run laps forever and then they (these people were like sadistic summer camp counselors or something) started tossing soccer balls at us and we had to kick them while we were running and they were yelling at us if we didn't do well enough. Then we stopped and finally got a chance to hang out, but everyone already knew each other except me and I had no one to talk to. So, my two worst nightmares - athletics and social rejection! Well, the real ASW will undoubtedly be better than my dreams. Like others, I have all but committed to Berkeley pending ASW.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Show me a law school where one would be considered an outcast for wearing a backpack at their ASW, and I'll show you a school I won't attend.

But seriously, echoing r6 philly, it is completely fine to wear a backpack at these things.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:02 am

Has anyone read the case for Berkeley yet? I literally LOL'ed after reading it. You would, Berkeley, you would.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:56 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Has anyone read the case for Berkeley yet? I literally LOL'ed after reading it. You would, Berkeley, you would.
What's the case? Did they say who is teaching the mock class?

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:13 am

Rotor wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Has anyone read the case for Berkeley yet? I literally LOL'ed after reading it. You would, Berkeley, you would.
Melissa Murray is teaching the class. The case is Regina v. Dudley and Stephens.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:11 pm

I am. So psyched. For ASW.

Even though I really liked Michigan this weekend, I know I'm going to dig Berkeley too. So I'm actually sort of dreading the inevitable decision coming up. But Boalt sounds so cool, I just can't wait to visit!

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:53 pm

I'll see you guys there. I just got back from NYU's ASW and have a tough decision to make soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:37 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
Rotor wrote:
Melissa Murray is teaching the class. The case is Regina v. Dudley and Stephens.
Murray=Awesome. She should make it a tasty class. :mrgreen:

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:05 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I am. So psyched. For ASW.

Even though I really liked Michigan this weekend, I know I'm going to dig Berkeley too. So I'm actually sort of dreading the inevitable decision coming up. But Boalt sounds so cool, I just can't wait to visit!
Yay!

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
Rotor wrote:
I particularly liked this passage: "But a man has no right to declare temptation to be an excuse, though he might himself have yielded to it, nor allow compassion for the criminal to change or weaken in any manner the legal definition of the crime." Strong unyielding justice :D .

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am

Has anyone read the case for Berkeley yet? I literally LOL'ed after reading it. You would, Berkeley, you would.
It is a classic case. Pretty much every crim law class reads it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”