Stanford ASW 2011 Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
tgir

Bronze

Re: Stanford ASW 2011

Post by tgir » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 am

Did anyone else think ASW was awesome?! It's made my decision so much easier. I'm like 95% certain I'll be at Stanford next year. Gonna let the ASW feelings sink in for a few days before taking any action, though.

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:28 am

tgir wrote:Did anyone else think ASW was awesome?! It's made my decision so much easier. I'm like 95% certain I'll be at Stanford next year. Gonna let the ASW feelings sink in for a few days before taking any action, though.
Me! I think a lot of it is personal fit though, as I met a person or two for whom SLS is not the right place...but everyone else was awesome!!!

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 pm

tgir wrote:Did anyone else think ASW was awesome?! It's made my decision so much easier. I'm like 95% certain I'll be at Stanford next year. Gonna let the ASW feelings sink in for a few days before taking any action, though.
I withdrew from all my other schools on the plane ride home

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:17 pm

hey guys! i'm so happy ASW worked out for you.

i had a conference down in san jose that overlapped with stanford's schedule, so i was ducking in and out all weekend and i think that made it hard to meet people. wish i had talked to y'all and seen that stanford twinkle in your eyes! or maybe i did? i was at the teaching law dinner on sunday night if any of you also joined that group. yummy jordanian food. and i did the lgbt dinner with pam on friday night.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:21 pm

JeremyPaul wrote: and i did the lgbt dinner with pam on friday night.
So jealous! What was she like?!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 pm

NikaneOkie wrote: I withdrew from all my other schools on the plane ride home
Haha, awesome. Talk about an impactful ASW experience!

I wonder if I met you at any point throughout the weekend, Nikane.... I'm really dying to put faces to TLS screen names.

I got to meet the Stig while at ASW thanks to some pretty sneaky texting on his part, hahaha.

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:40 pm

tgir wrote:

I wonder if I met you at any point throughout the weekend, Nikane.... I'm really dying to put faces to TLS screen names.

I got to meet the Stig while at ASW thanks to some pretty sneaky texting on his part, hahaha.
me: "So I am pretty sure I am sitting behind you"

tgir: "who is this?"

:D

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:42 pm

The Stig wrote:
tgir wrote:

me: "So I am pretty sure I am sitting behind you"

tgir: "who is this?"

:D
This sounds familiar...

On another note: thousandth post!! Things that indicate you need a life...

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:44 pm

So jealous! What was she like?!
incredibly friendly and gregarious with a great sense of humor. she told funny stories about clerking at the supreme court for most of the night. i'd say some admits took the brown nosing a little too far, but that didn't seem to impress her much.

the thing i'll remember most, though, is how diligently she attended to the lone vegetarian at the table (i.e.; me). she kept making sure i had enough food all night.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:45 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
This sounds familiar...

Haha, I thought you were gonna save it for something epic, like announcing that Dean Deal showed up at your house with one of those comically large checks and a camera crew.

Also, my next journalistic endeavor: "The Stig: Profile of a Serial TLS Stalker."

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:49 pm

tgir wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
This sounds familiar...

Haha, I thought you were gonna save it for something epic, like announcing that Dean Deal showed up at your house with one of those comically large checks and a camera crew.

Also, my next journalistic endeavor: "The Stig: Profile of a Serial TLS Stalker."
I wanted to save it...but figured that might mean I never post on TLS again...heh.

Can I be interviewed for this project?? :lol:

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:49 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:
incredibly friendly and gregarious with a great sense of humor. she told funny stories about clerking at the supreme court for most of the night. i'd say some admits took the brown nosing a little too far, but that didn't seem to impress her much.

the thing i'll remember most, though, is how diligently she attended to the lone vegetarian at the table (i.e.; me). she kept making sure i had enough food all night.
Note to self: meet Pam Karlan ASAP.

That's too bad about the brown nosing. But given how deliciously alluring the Supreme Court Clinic is, I guess I can't really judge them too harshly.

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:37 pm

I didn't knowingly talk to anyone from TLS, but I'm pretty sure I was briefly in Kretzy's room--which I recognized only because I remember a picture posted by The Stig a few weeks ago.

Overall, I was incredibly impressed by ASW. Current students, admitted students, campus and facilities, the dean--I didn't see much room for improvement anywhere.* This was the first ASW I've been to, so I don't know if my positive reaction is particular to SLS or if every ASW leaves this impression. But I strongly expect to be back in Palo Alto this fall.

*Okay, one concern: I was reading an article on the airplane about how the Pacific tectonic plate has had major earthquakes on three corners within the past year. New Zealand in February, Chile a year before, and of course Japan. The only corner left is the San Andreas fault underpinning San Francisco. I'll take the gamble that nothing too serious will happen during the next three years, but I do wonder how sustainable the future of that part of the country is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:50 pm

pride09 wrote:
*Okay, one concern: I was reading an article on the airplane about how the Pacific tectonic plate has had major earthquakes on three corners within the past year. New Zealand in February, Chile a year before, and of course Japan. The only corner left is the San Andreas fault underpinning San Francisco. I'll take the gamble that nothing too serious will happen during the next three years, but I do wonder how sustainable the future of that part of the country is.
Haha, I've actually thought about that myself. I mean...San Francisco had the 1906 earthquake, but it's been fine for 105 years since, even with many, many small earthquakes occurring all the time. All modern buildings in California are built with strict earthquake code--buildings can still fail, yes, but it becomes exceedingly unlikely. Also, as far as I understand it, most of the fatalities associated with earthquakes have a lot to do with the problems of very dense population, which Stanford itself doesn't really have (San Fran is obviously a different matter).

Also, I'll have to ask my earth science friends, but I'm pretty sure that large earthquakes only occur when a bunch of pressure builds up and never gets sufficiently released. Therefore, more regular small earthquakes actually mitigate the risk of a big one. In other words, just because one corner of a tectonic plate had an extremely violent release of tension doesn't mean that all other corners will.

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:00 pm

I know nothing about geological science, so I will take your word for it and feel reassured!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:24 pm

pride09 wrote:I know nothing about geological science, so I will take your word for it and feel reassured!
This is old and probably slightly biased, but still interesting: http://news.stanford.edu/pr/97/970813quakeindex.html

westbayguy

Bronze

Post by westbayguy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:12 pm

tgir wrote:
pride09 wrote:I know nothing about geological science, so I will take your word for it and feel reassured!
This is old and probably slightly biased, but still interesting: http://news.stanford.edu/pr/97/970813quakeindex.html
Be afraid- be very afraid! :|

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2004/octo ... view=print

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheGreatWait

New

Post by TheGreatWait » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:41 pm

So I couldn't make it to ASW because of work, but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything while they were visiting about students who were interested in deferring/had deferred? I submit at deferral request and am trying to get a sense of what my chances are for having it granted. So if anyone has any insights on that (beyond what's on the website/in the admit materials because I have scoured those obsessively), they would be much appreciated. Thanks!

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:00 pm

@TheGreatWait: are you on the SLS admit google group? a few different people on that listserv previously deferred, so you could e-mail them directly to find out how the process went for them. once you're a member, you can review the past posts in the 'introduce yourself' thread and see who deferred.

TheGreatWait

New

Post by TheGreatWait » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:@TheGreatWait: are you on the SLS admit google group? a few different people on that listserv previously deferred, so you could e-mail them directly to find out how the process went for them. once you're a member, you can review the past posts in the 'introduce yourself' thread and see who deferred.
Oh thanks very much! I didn't know about the group, so I'll definitely check it out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”