Visiting while under review

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
sportsguy88

Visiting while under review

Postby sportsguy88 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:16 pm

I know the schools don't recommend it around this time (generally because a decision could be made after you've made plans to visit) but do you think it's a worthwhile idea? How much can meeting with Deans and Assistant Deans help your chances at a school, if at all? (Realizing of course that you would need to interview well for this to even be a question.)

If you're a borderline candidate (expecting either a reject or waitlist) is it better to visit while still under review or wait and see, and then visit if waitlisted?

aspire2more

Re: Visiting while under review

Postby aspire2more » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:45 pm

I visited one school while "under review" and received my acceptance very shortly thereafter. I went ahead and visited because:

1) I had the time off from work.
2) I heard that it was strongly encouraged.
3) I had a friend in the area who would let me crash at his place for free.
4) It was within driving distance (6 hrs round-trip) so the expense was minimal.

Schools that are farther away, I am not visiting until I know whether or not I've been admitted. I do not want to spend money traveling that I will need on a deposit.

I would say research the schools to find out which schools have used campus visits as a strong indication of an applicant's interest in attending and then, if money isn't a factor, go ahead and check them out. If money is a factor, some schools offer stipends to accepted students so you're better off showing your interest by staying in contact with the school in other ways.

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 pm

visited W&M thursday, accepted today. It definitely helped in my situation.

sportsguy88

Postby sportsguy88 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Hmm that's what I thought. Anybody know about the following schools and if their application process favors this: U Texas (OOS), Vandy, Emory? I've already done the "Why X?" essays, so this would be in addition to that.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 pm

I know UT only accepts interviews on a very limited basis. So, if your purpose in visiting is to interview with a Dean, then I would suggest contacting them to find out if they'll give you audience. I don't know about the other schools.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Leira7905 wrote:I know UT only accepts interviews on a very limited basis. So, if your purpose in visiting is to interview with a Dean, then I would suggest contacting them to find out if they'll give you audience. I don't know about the other schools.

For what it's worth, I didn't meet the Dean or have an official interview.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 pm

YMMV. Just know you are basically taking your money that it costs to visit and gambling it. You could increase your chances by 0% or 100%.

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Think of it this way...if you visit the school you will probably get a chance to meet with some administrators or staff and in a way this would be like your interview without the interview (they would get to meet you and note any positive things about you and put it in your file, all of which is more potential stuff that can help you get in).

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:02 am

glacierfrost wrote:Think of it this way...if you visit the school you will probably get a chance to meet with some administrators or staff and in a way this would be like your interview without the interview (they would get to meet you and note any positive things about you and put it in your file, all of which is more potential stuff that can help you get in).

This is not always the case. I scheduled a law school visit with a certain t30 school and both the student ambassador/admissions receptionist did not even know I was admitted.

Assuming that someone other than a direct reviewer will note" cool dude" in your file when you show up for a visit is way off.

pinkfeminist

Postby pinkfeminist » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Do you know any schools that look positively at law school visits while being under review? Do you know which schools do not care at all?

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”