Better to visit during ASW or normal life?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
bedefan

Better to visit during ASW or normal life?

Postby bedefan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Hey all, I'm scheduling my visits and am wondering if anyone can say anything about the experience of visiting during an ASW v. the experience of arranging your own visit during a normal week.

My gut feeling is that I'll get a better sense for what life at the law school will really be like if I visit during the week and have the admissions office set up a class visit or two, lunch with a student, and a couple meetings with faculty...

...But that if I go to an ASW I'll get more more MORE! More meetings! More info sessions! Group lunches! Going out drinking with strangers! I.e. it will be more fun.

Anybody done visits both ways? Thoughts on pros/cons of different kinds of visits?

SupraVln180

Re: Better to visit during ASW or normal life?

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:55 pm

I would say ASW simply because you get to meet some of your prospective classmates. (if you care about that sort of thing). I would say if you can't attend ASW, then a normal school day is fine. They kind of roll out the red carpet for admitted students week, so that can be nice.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:37 pm

I think there are pros and cons to both. I agree with the above poster that ASWs are a great way to meet potential classmates, and that's probably quite telling for what the school culture will be like. But some schools put a lot of effort into individual visits, so it's more personalized and you can get exact questions about certain programs answered or maybe even get the opportunity to meet with the people running/participating in those programs.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:26 pm

I'd say coming to visit during an ASW is probably beneficial cause you'll still get the experience and some of the current students might be more inclined to hang out when there is an official weekend. It's hard to come during "normal life" cause you might catch the students at a time where everyone has some sort of assignment due and is logging ridiculous hours in the library.

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. Due to my own scheduling constraints I'll probably do at least one school visit non-ASW and at least one during an ASW... So if I remember I'll come back and post about what I saw as the relative benefits/drawbacks of the two kinds of visits.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”