OK to bring a non-attending friend to ASW? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
GankMe

New

OK to bring a non-attending friend to ASW?

Post by GankMe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:16 am

Hi,

I am planning on attending a few ASWs. The ones I have registered for so far allow me to bring a guest, but they usually specifiy "such as a parent, significant other..."

I don't really fancy going alone, and a good friend of mine has offered to come along. Would the schools mind this?
Last edited by GankMe on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Re: OK to bring a non-attending friend to ASW?

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:18 am

just pretend he's your boyfriend

but seriously no one will care

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:19 am

GankMe wrote:Hi,

I am planning on attending a few ASWs. The ones I have registered for so far allow me to bring a guest, but they usually specifiy "such as a parent, significant other..."

I don't really fancy going alone, and a good friend of mine has expressed interest in attending with me. He wants to see the cities and is thinking about applying to law school himself. Would the schools mind this?

The schools won't care, but it's a little odd.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:20 am

You're attending the school alone.. but won't go for a weekend alone? I'd think it would be better to actually meet the people you'd be living with and spending countless hours next to in the library instead of chummin it up with a current friend. They can go to their own ASW.

GankMe

New

Post by GankMe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:33 pm

So you guys think it would negatively affect the socializing aspect of ASW? Hmm, I didn't really think of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nicole88

Bronze

Post by nicole88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 am

GankMe wrote:So you guys think it would negatively affect the socializing aspect of ASW? Hmm, I didn't really think of that.
I think it's totally fine. If they cared at all, they wouldn't let you register guests. For example, I am bringing a friend to an ASW next week because I am traveling to a different state and staying with her, and she is driving me, ha. So obviously she is going to attend everything with me, not just hang out in the parking lot.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Yeah I think it should be fine. For example, my friend is driving me to Colorado's asd from denver and I mentioned this briefly to an adcom and she said my friend was more than welcome to attend any of the events with me, even the dinner and brunch for certain students. I was planning on my friend just dropping me off, but it's nice to know she is welcome to attend if she wanted to.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 pm

I have been wondering the same thing. Most of the ASWs I plan on attending are 9 or more hours away, so I want someone to come with me, especially if I end up driving to a few. My parents work full time, so I am thinking getting a friend to tag along would be the best option. Just have to make sure not to bring the ones with face tattoos.

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:06 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:I have been wondering the same thing. Most of the ASWs I plan on attending are 9 or more hours away, so I want someone to come with me, especially if I end up driving to a few. My parents work full time, so I am thinking getting a friend to tag along would be the best option. Just have to make sure not to bring the ones with face tattoos.
au contraire my friend! definitely bring the friend with the face tattoos. have him/her tell everyone they got accepted into yale a week after going complete, and scored a perfect LSAT the first time. alternatively if you want to go for the culture shock approach, have him/her tell everyone that he/she just got the Rubenstein from Uchicago ;)

on a more pertinent note, want to hang w an old college buddy who's stuck out on the east coast, so i may either bring her along to ASWs for the free food, or take time out of the ASW. at any rate, glad others are bringing people to the party too :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

samsonyte16

New

Post by samsonyte16 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:56 pm

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be OK, but I'm not sure how smart it is. The whole point of these things is to get a feel for the people you would be going to school with. If it were me, I'd be too worried about making my friend feel included to adequately do that.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:19 pm

GankMe wrote:So you guys think it would negatively affect the socializing aspect of ASW? Hmm, I didn't really think of that.
Yes.

ASW isn't just about checking out the school/professor/facilities. It's about getting to know the people who you might be spending the next three years with (obviously not all of them will be there, but you can still get a decent sense of the overall student body based on everyone you meet). Bringing a friend will make that much more difficult.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Does the same apply with bringing my SO?

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:50 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Does the same apply with bringing my SO?
I was told at an Open House I attended that (insert name of school) had specific events for newly enrolled, rising 1Ls and their spouses/SOs. The general feeling seemed to be, if you were going to be living with this person while in law school, it was good for them to attend so they could be comfortable and see where their partner was going to be spending all of their time. They also said the main benefit was that SOs had a better understanding of how little time their partner was going to have to spend with them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Do it, but ask the school if it's ok. It'll be cool to see the school, nobody's gonna judge you for the friend, and if y'all want to party or anything before/after the ASW, you can do that.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:11 pm

I'm bringing a friend because we're going on vacation together to the city where the ASW is. She has the car and will be driving, so it makes sense. She also wants to apply to law schools next year, so I figured it would be a good experience for her to check these kind of things out ahead of time, and maybe she will want to apply to this school as well. I don't really see the problem, as long as you don't only talk to your friend the whole time and still pay attention to the tours, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Visits”