Attending ASD with no intention of enrolling

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
dabbadon8

Attending ASD with no intention of enrolling

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:44 am

I applied to the law school at my undergrad as a super safety. Their admitted students day is coming up and I want to go to check it out because I am curious and could use the free meal. I also thought it would be good to see what the an ASD is like before I go to the one for the school I plan on attending. Would going to this be in bad taste? If I go, how should I handle the subject of where I am considering if it comes up?

Veyron

Re: Attending ASD with no intention of enrolling

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:45 am

dabbadon8 wrote:I applied to the law school at my undergrad as a super safety. Their admitted students day is coming up and I want to go to check it out because I am curious and could use the free meal. I also thought it would be good to see what the an ASD is like before I go to the one for the school I plan on attending. Would going to this be in bad taste? If I go, how should I handle the subject of where I am considering if it comes up?

Why would it be in bad taste? No one cares.

Just say, "I'm looking at a bunch of options."

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:48 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:I applied to the law school at my undergrad as a super safety. Their admitted students day is coming up and I want to go to check it out because I am curious and could use the free meal. I also thought it would be good to see what the an ASD is like before I go to the one for the school I plan on attending. Would going to this be in bad taste? If I go, how should I handle the subject of where I am considering if it comes up?

Nice man. Good to know that you are the future of the legal field.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:04 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:

I'd say at present, the legal field largely consists of former poor college students. I'm glad the future of the legal profession will continue to include judgmental pricks though, thanks for helping to continue on the tradition.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 am

Veyron wrote:

Why would it be in bad taste? No one cares.

Just say, "I'm looking at a bunch of options."

This. I dont think anyone cares. And im sure schools benefit off this anyway. Not saying youre going to attend this school, but im sure every year theres atleast a few people that go to ASDs that really have no intention of attending and end up seriously considering the school or even attending.

As long as your are polite and respectful and take things seriously, no one will care. Just dont go in there with an "im better than this attitude."

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:04 am

Actually, I think that accepted student days are designed for prospective students who are undecided or unlikely to attend. Committed students just need to send in their deposits.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:08 am

I'm in a similar situation with the law school at my undergrad. The chances that I will be attending are slim to none, but the ASD looks like it's going to be very informative. I'll get to talk to people who have already done what I'm planning on doing in the future and can tell me about it. The law school is within walking distance from where I live. Also, the food ;)

What I'm trying to say is, it's a resource that's available to you. Use it!

But yes, if they ask me where I'm considering that'll be a little awkward.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:16 am

No one will care. But it's difficult for me to believe that you don't have any better way to spend your time.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:17 am

It's not like a timeshare pitch. They're not going to hard close you at it and I'd be surprised if they ask you any pointed questions like, "So, do you see yourself as a <mascotname>?". If they ask anything about what you're thinking, just say, "This has been a great resource to get to know the law program better" or something like that.

While I do think it's probably in bad taste if you know with absolute certainty you're not planning on attending, as far as victims go - I'm okay with law schools being taken advantage of, if only marginally (really, the cost of a hotel, dinner, and drinks aren't going to break them). So enjoy the weekend and if it assuages any guilt, just convince yourself there's always a chance you will attend.

fuzzypeach

Postby fuzzypeach » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 pm

What if they are offering to pay for your plane ticket? Is it in poor taste to take a free plan ticket, go on vacaation for a few days, and go to the half day of activities?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:58 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:

Most of my friends in law school scout the on-campus events every week to pick up a few free lunches or slices of pieces. That's because we're fucking poor and living on loans. Good to know that you feel morally superior.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:06 pm

I can't really believe this is a thread.

Yes, it would be worthwhile to go to the ASD even if you think there is only a 0.1% chance of attending that school. If nothing else, it will certainly be informative about the process and give you an idea about what the Admitted Students events are like. You will probably enjoy going, even if you aren't set on the school. When people ask what schools you are considering, just be honest. People will understand, and no one will look down upon you. Of course, I'm assuming that you won't tell people that the only reason you are there is for the meal.

Also, my experience with ASDs (I am a re-applicant) leads me to believe that the food probably won't be that great. Hard to beat free though.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:59 am

If you are not already locked into one school going to an asd is a good idea, even if you aren't planning on attending. I went to a schools asd this week and it was good to have a reference point.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:15 am

JazzOne wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

Most of my friends in law school scout the on-campus events every week to pick up a few free lunches or slices of pieces. That's because we're fucking poor and living on loans. Good to know that you feel morally superior.

+1

Seriously...my friends and I do this all the time.

chup

Postby chup » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:22 pm

There's a vast, vast difference between snagging a free slice of pizza and holding onto an admissions spot/using travel funds that you have absolutely no intention of accepting. Sure nobody will say anything, but it's still kind of dickish.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:25 pm

if you have no intention of enrolling dont go.
if you are seriously considering the school- go.
fwiw im going to attend 3 ASD. obviously 2 of them i wont be attending in the fall, but its a good way to see the campus before i make my final decision.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:42 pm

chup wrote:There's a vast, vast difference between snagging a free slice of pizza and holding onto an admissions spot/using travel funds that you have absolutely no intention of accepting. Sure nobody will say anything, but it's still kind of dickish.

True, but Supra chose to call out OP based on his desire for a free meal. The meal seems altogether irrelevant to me.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 pm

If its at your undergrad and you live nearby then why not go? You paid tens of thousands (maybe more) to go there for your bachelors, I'd say youre entitled to a free meal

bmore

Postby bmore » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:52 pm

northwood wrote:if you have no intention of enrolling dont go.
if you are seriously considering the school- go.
fwiw im going to attend 3 ASD. obviously 2 of them i wont be attending in the fall, but its a good way to see the campus before i make my final decision.

Maybe you might change your mind. I went to one just to give me an idea of what to expect when I go to an out of town ASW. I was very impressed and am considering this school just a little more.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 pm

dr123 wrote:If its at your undergrad and you live nearby then why not go? You paid tens of thousands (maybe more) to go there for your bachelors, I'd say youre entitled to a free meal

That was my thinking. I am still here so no travel costs. I though it be interesting and maybe I'd grab some swag in my undergrads colors and a free meal. I applied without a fee waiver so I am sure I paid for whatever I get. As for holding up the spot...I figured I'd check it out before withdrawing, who knows, maybe I'd like it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 pm

let me clarify: the 3 schools that im going to visit, i would be attending if the other 2 rejected me. ( any one of the 3). However i have been so lucky that i got into all three of them- so this visit will be big deciding factor( not the entire factor, but a good part- if i get a bad vibe, dont think ill fit in, it could be a game changer, but we'll see)

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:28 pm

chup wrote:There's a vast, vast difference between snagging a free slice of pizza and holding onto an admissions spot/using travel funds that you have absolutely no intention of accepting. Sure nobody will say anything, but it's still kind of dickish.

+1.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:51 am

Using travel funds is not nice but the OP said he goes there for undergrad, so hopefully he wont need any.

As for holding onto a spot, i dont think law schools really care if you withdraw now. They make x amount of offers every year knowing only z percent of them will be accepted. I dont think theyre going to stare at the OP's withdrawl and say "okay now we need to accept one more."

Schools have created the WL incase they are wrong about how many people will accept offers. WL movement doesnt happen until deposits are due. Because then schools know for sure who will be attending and who wont. Withdrawing is courteous but i dont think it really affects anything. If 1 or 2 or even 100 people withdraw it will not make schools go to the WL early. They still dont know all of who's coming and who's not until deposits are due and I dont think they will use the WL until then.

Just my 2 cents. Hope i dont come off as arrogant - as im not trying to be!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:07 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:

Using travel funds is not nice but the OP said he goes there for undergrad, so hopefully he wont need any.

As for holding onto a spot, i dont think law schools really care if you withdraw now. They make x amount of offers every year knowing only z percent of them will be accepted. I dont think theyre going to stare at the OP's withdrawl and say "okay now we need to accept one more."

Schools have created the WL incase they are wrong about how many people will accept offers. WL movement doesnt happen until deposits are due. Because then schools know for sure who will be attending and who wont. Withdrawing is courteous but i dont think it really affects anything. If 1 or 2 or even 100 people withdraw it will not make schools go to the WL early. They still dont know all of who's coming and who's not until deposits are due and I dont think they will use the WL until then.

Just my 2 cents. Hope i dont come off as arrogant - as im not trying to be!

+1

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”