Lewis & Clark ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
tsutsik

Re: Lewis & Clark ASW

Postby tsutsik » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:57 pm

renorunningirl wrote:
wokeemilo wrote:i'm bringing a parent...lame? i'm a year out of undergrad and my parents will be footin' the bill, so it's kind of necessary haha.

Don't worry I'm in the same boat... So how does everyone feel about the tuition increases? (up more than $6,000 since I received my acceptance letter in January....)

Wasn't it something like 35,000 for the full-time program last year and 26,000 for the part-time program? That makes it up about a 1,000 for each program.

renorunningirl

Postby renorunningirl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:04 pm

It was only 31 thousandish when I got in... It is now 36 something.. So only about $5,000 but still... Sigh

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:07 pm

renorunningirl wrote:It was only 31 thousandish when I got in... It is now 36 something.. So only about $5,000 but still... Sigh

Not that it matters - it's 36,000 now no matter what it was last year - but I wonder where you got the 31,000 figure. I was admitted in December and the only tuition figure I've seen (here, for instance: http://www.lclark.edu/law/offices/admis ... s_profile/) is 35,000 for the day program.

Pink

Postby Pink » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:08 pm

tsutsik wrote:
renorunningirl wrote:It was only 31 thousandish when I got in... It is now 36 something.. So only about $5,000 but still... Sigh

Not that it matters - it's 36,000 now no matter what it was last year - but I wonder where you got the 31,000 figure. I was admitted in December and the only tuition figure I've seen (here, for instance: http://www.lclark.edu/law/offices/admis ... s_profile/) is 35,000 for the day program.

+1

renorunningirl

Postby renorunningirl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Very odd... I pulled out my acceptance letter (Mid-January full time) it lists tuition as $31,934... Which happens to be last years fee. Typo?

JMACD

Postby JMACD » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Im pretty sure tuition was around $31,000 for last year and around $35,000 for this year.

Anyone that knows Portland have suggestions for things to check out up there? Neighborhoods, breweries, places for live music, good food?

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 pm

I'll be coming up with the ole lady. She will be coming to the dinner but not the class preview.

Where is everyone staying? I ended up getting a sweet deal on Priceline at the Marriott downtown.

Agreed on the planning a meet up spot somewhere. Any ideas?

JayWilTheBoat

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 am

theavrock wrote:I'll be coming up with the ole lady. She will be coming to the dinner but not the class preview.

Where is everyone staying? I ended up getting a sweet deal on Priceline at the Marriott downtown.

Agreed on the planning a meet up spot somewhere. Any ideas?

I recommend the Urban Farmer, inside the Nines, which is a hotel. It's a fancy place with a lot of space, good drinks. It's downtown right across the street from Pioneer Courthouse, which was built a million years ago and is now the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. It's pretty central to Portland, right next to Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Or Deschutes Brewery Public House. Much more… Oregon-y and laid back. It's in the Pearl District a block from Powell's Books.

kalede

Postby kalede » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Kinderby wrote:I think I misread McNulty's post. :oops: Haha. Are there any girls going to ASW, and if so, would be up for sharing a room?

I'm going and looking for someone to share a room with! Feel free to PM if you're still looking for someone. :)

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 pm

I just found this thread, and thought I'd speak up since I am going to the ASW.

I'm going to the preview on Friday, but I'm still up in the air as to whether I should skip my Thursday classes to catch an early enough flight to make the dinner.

Just curious if anyone knows - my scholarship came with the stipulation that I maintain a 2.95. Does anyone know what that means in terms of class rank? Top 50%?

Also, I've heard people say that L&C grads face an especially tough job market since Oregon's economy is weak, but I'm hoping that's not true. Has anyone else heard otherwise?

See you all there! :D

JayWilTheBoat

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:I just found this thread, and thought I'd speak up since I am going to the ASW.

I'm going to the preview on Friday, but I'm still up in the air as to whether I should skip my Thursday classes to catch an early enough flight to make the dinner.

Just curious if anyone knows - my scholarship came with the stipulation that I maintain a 2.95. Does anyone know what that means in terms of class rank? Top 50%?

Also, I've heard people say that L&C grads face an especially tough job market since Oregon's economy is weak, but I'm hoping that's not true. Has anyone else heard otherwise?

Of the law schools in Oregon, L&C is definitely the strongest. Plus, it's the only one in Portland. There are three different counties within shouting distance, a federal courthouse, and the 9th circuit court of appeals, so many more opportunities for clerkships than other Oregon schools. A lot of L&C grads go into Public Interest so the job numbers as far as wages and such look a bit weaker, and surely the job prospects are weaker compared to other schools, but if you plan on staying in the area, it's a solid bet. Most attorneys that you come across here, in firms, DAs office, judges, wherever, are LC grads, in my experience at least.

katjust

Postby katjust » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:59 pm

I'm a current 2L. To the person with the question about 2.95, it is slightly below the median. Grades are curved to 3.00 mean first year, but the medians are usually slightly higher than that (3.04 or so for the median).

About the job market. I don't really know because I've only applied at a limited number of places in Oregon. I got a few interviews, but no jobs. Most of the people who do well seem to have summer jobs. My jobs for 1L and the upcoming 2L summer will be back in my home state, and at this point I will likely practice back in my home state or somewhere close by. I am unlikely to practice in Oregon.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:49 pm

katjust wrote:I'm a current 2L. To the person with the question about 2.95, it is slightly below the median. Grades are curved to 3.00 mean first year, but the medians are usually slightly higher than that (3.04 or so for the median).

About the job market. I don't really know because I've only applied at a limited number of places in Oregon. I got a few interviews, but no jobs. Most of the people who do well seem to have summer jobs. My jobs for 1L and the upcoming 2L summer will be back in my home state, and at this point I will likely practice back in my home state or somewhere close by. I am unlikely to practice in Oregon.

Thanks for the response. That's nice to hear that you found a job back in your home state. I've known people who have had trouble finding jobs outside of the state their school is in, so that's great you were able to pull that off.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:59 pm

JayWilTheBoat wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:I just found this thread, and thought I'd speak up since I am going to the ASW.

Of the law schools in Oregon, L&C is definitely the strongest. Plus, it's the only one in Portland. There are three different counties within shouting distance, a federal courthouse, and the 9th circuit court of appeals, so many more opportunities for clerkships than other Oregon schools. A lot of L&C grads go into Public Interest so the job numbers as far as wages and such look a bit weaker, and surely the job prospects are weaker compared to other schools, but if you plan on staying in the area, it's a solid bet. Most attorneys that you come across here, in firms, DAs office, judges, wherever, are LC grads, in my experience at least.

Thanks. That's good to hear that people are getting jobs there, and public interest is likely to be the sector I want to work in. I just need to consider if I want to stay in Portland or not. I grew up there, so I have many reasons to stay and many reasons not to.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Hey, is anyone going out to Mt Hood Meadows on Saturday? I'm asking because a) it would be nice to ski with someone and b) I'm trying to avoid busing it. More a than b.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:11 pm

LeDique wrote:Hey, is anyone going out to Mt Hood Meadows on Saturday? I'm asking because a) it would be nice to ski with someone and b) I'm trying to avoid busing it. More a than b.

Damn, I'm sorry. That weekend is a rare one when I'm not heading up to Meadows. (Out-of-town visitor and a wedding shower to cook for.)

maythurs

Postby maythurs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:03 am

Hey, does anyone one know how we're supposed to document mileage on your car if you're driving down to Portland? The preview papers L&C sent said that they must receive the original receipts and all receipts must show a paid charge. I'm guessing I should get a receipt for the gas and calculate the mileage cost based on distance, then just write that calculation on the receipt? Anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks!

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:05 am

They're paying for mileage in addition to gas?! Fml, my flight was $700 and they'd run out of money (now I see why!) to reimburse for ASW when I asked.

maythurs

Postby maythurs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:12 am

Kinderby wrote:They're paying for mileage in addition to gas?! Fml, my flight was $700 and they'd run out of money (now I see why!) to reimburse for ASW when I asked.

I don't think they are paying for the gas. It just says "mileage on your own car". How do I show an original receipt of the mileage on my car? Sorry, if this is a stupid question.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:14 am

I'm getting pretty excited. Going from the AM on Thurs to late Sunday. Mini vacation of sorts. Anyone wanna do a TLS night out @ a brewery or something?

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:20 am

maythurs wrote:
Kinderby wrote:They're paying for mileage in addition to gas?! Fml, my flight was $700 and they'd run out of money (now I see why!) to reimburse for ASW when I asked.

I don't think they are paying for the gas. It just says "mileage on your own car". How do I show an original receipt of the mileage on my car? Sorry, if this is a stupid question.

No, it's not a stupid question; I wouldn't know how to do that, either, and besides... taking pictures of the odometer? But then that could be easily manipulated? I don't know.

And I'm not mad at you! I just wish they had more money for ASWs. FFS, it's on a Spring Break week when flights are all super-expensive!

McNulty wrote:Anyone wanna do a TLS night out @ a brewery or something?

Absolutely! But I don't know any. :) Portlanders, we need your assistance!

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:46 am

I've already made a massive google map-itinerary type thing where I've saved about 20 restaurants/pubs. Check out that feature, you can 'invite' other people to edit your maps as well.

I'm definitely hitting up Hopworks.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:47 am

Kinderby wrote:
maythurs wrote:

No, it's not a stupid question; I wouldn't know how to do that, either, and besides... taking pictures of the odometer? But then that could be easily manipulated? I don't know.

And I'm not mad at you! I just wish they had more money for ASWs. FFS, it's on a Spring Break week when flights are all super-expensive!

1. Walk 30 feet in any direction.
2. Locate brewery.
3. Drink.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Kinderby wrote:

1. Walk 30 feet in any direction.
2. Locate brewery.
3. Drink.

Portland has some of the most breweries for a single town in the entire world. It seriously isn't hard. That said, Rogue is quite nice in the pearl district and Deschutes is just down the street from Powells. Also, it's St. Patty's Day on Thursday.

lawyerorbust

Postby lawyerorbust » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:37 am

Wish I got some money to show up, taking a solid 500 out of pocket. Right now they aren't offering enough to tempt me away from home state, but I figured they are the first I heard from and seem interested so far. Also at Modero(a? can't remember) from Thursday to Friday. Hope this turns out to be worthwhile!

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”