Lewis & Clark ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
twozeroseven

New

Re: Lewis & Clark ASW

Post by twozeroseven » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:41 am

maythurs wrote:
Kinderby wrote:They're paying for mileage in addition to gas?! Fml, my flight was $700 and they'd run out of money (now I see why!) to reimburse for ASW when I asked.
I don't think they are paying for the gas. It just says "mileage on your own car". How do I show an original receipt of the mileage on my car? Sorry, if this is a stupid question.
Use the Google Maps as distance from *start* to L&C, multiply by two, submit.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:14 am

McNulty wrote:I've already made a massive google map-itinerary type thing where I've saved about 20 restaurants/pubs. Check out that feature, you can 'invite' other people to edit your maps as well.

I'm definitely hitting up Hopworks.
+1

I actually have this in addition to spreadsheet with a food, drink and see tabs that is split up by neighborhood. My gf thinks I am slightly neurotic.

Hopworks was on my list. Sounds awesome. I'll second McNulty's motion. What night? Who else is on board?

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:21 pm

theavrock wrote:
McNulty wrote:I've already made a massive google map-itinerary type thing where I've saved about 20 restaurants/pubs. Check out that feature, you can 'invite' other people to edit your maps as well.

+1

I actually have this in addition to spreadsheet with a food, drink and see tabs that is split up by neighborhood. My gf thinks I am slightly neurotic.

Hopworks was on my list. Sounds awesome. I'll second McNulty's motion. What night? Who else is on board?
I'm down with either - the wife and I will show up for sure. Friday night? (since the dinner thing is on Thurs)

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Fri night seems like the best idea.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:25 pm

One (or several) of yall should post up a review of the ASW since some us can't make it up there! I've been to Portland and love the city and have also been to L&C, but would love to hear impressions of the l-school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:08 pm

crit_racer wrote:One (or several) of yall should post up a review of the ASW since some us can't make it up there! I've been to Portland and love the city and have also been to L&C, but would love to hear impressions of the l-school
Will do for sure. Any questions you want us to ask or things in particular you're looking for?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:13 pm

How well do non PNW people do in Portland/PNW with a L&C degree. I would be going up there from the south with basically no ties. Curious if that is common and, if so, how those people fare in the Portland legal market.

Maybe ask some of the current students their opinions on this if you get a chance and it comes up? There aren't many current L&C students posting on TLS

thanks!!

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:03 pm

theavrock wrote:

+1

I would definitely be up for this. My hometown of Milwaukee is severely lacking in the good beer category. I'm staying at Modera, does anyone else staying downtown want to get together before the event Thursday night? My flight gets in at like 11 am, and I've never been to Portland before so I was planning on just wandering around the city for awhile or something.

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 pm

I'm at the Modera, too. I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about a shuttle from the hotel to the school on Friday... right? At least if there are enough of us, we can cab it relatively cheaply. But L&C is getting us there, yes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm at Modera too. I was thinking of going to this place called Kell's Irish Pub on Thurs (st. patty's day and all). We could meet up there? Oh and I'm there Thursday AM as well. Milwaukee doesn't have good beer? But it's Wisconsin. You have Leinenkugel!

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:42 pm

McNulty wrote:I'm at Modera too. I was thinking of going to this place called Kell's Irish Pub on Thurs (st. patty's day and all). We could meet up there? Oh and I'm there Thursday AM as well. Milwaukee doesn't have good beer? But it's Wisconsin. You have Leinenkugel!
Well Milwaukee does actually have some very good beer, but the Miller, and PBR overpower it in bar presence. I hate Leinenkugel's, which something like a sin in WI from what I can see. I'll be staying until Sunday night too, since L&C is paying for my $400 plane ticket and I have to skip a class anyways, I decided I would make a small vacation out of it

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm

clintone88 wrote:
McNulty wrote:I'm at Modera too. I was thinking of going to this place called Kell's Irish Pub on Thurs (st. patty's day and all). We could meet up there? Oh and I'm there Thursday AM as well. Milwaukee doesn't have good beer? But it's Wisconsin. You have Leinenkugel!
Well Milwaukee does actually have some very good beer, but the Miller, and PBR overpower it in bar presence. I hate Leinenkugel's, which something like a sin in WI from what I can see. I'll be staying until Sunday night too, since L&C is paying for my $400 plane ticket and I have to skip a class anyways, I decided I would make a small vacation out of it
I'll be staying downtown too and would be down for a meetup on Thursday.

I'm also from Milwaukee (live in New Mexico now, but moved away only in 2009) and come on now, there is some rocking beer in Wisco.

Lakefront
New Glarus
Ale Asylum
Capital
Furthermore
Sprecher

Try moving to a state like New Mexico, good lord they suck when it comes to beer out here. There is just no such thing as a beer bar. Not sure which bars you're frequenting in MKE, but I miss it like crazy.

PS: I'll have a car. I am sure the lady won't want me toting around people all the time, but from downtown to Lewis and Clark I could probably make that happen.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:25 pm

You gotta understand, though, that Portland isn't crazy about beer like most beer cities are crazy about beer. Portland is INSANE about beer. 30 microbreweries inside town and 46 total microbrew outlets. Most breweries in a single town in the world and most breweries/brewpubs in the US. They have every kind of beer you can think of and several that you've never thought of... especially concerning high proof beers. I'd buy that Milwaukee has some decent beers, but this is mecca :D.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:29 pm

geoduck wrote:You gotta understand, though, that Portland isn't crazy about beer like most beer cities are crazy about beer. Portland is INSANE about beer. 30 microbreweries inside town and 46 total microbrew outlets. Most breweries in a single town in the world and most breweries/brewpubs in the US. They have every kind of beer you can think of and several that you've never thought of... especially concerning high proof beers. I'd buy that Milwaukee has some decent beers, but this is mecca :D.
This my friend is why I cannot wait to spend St. Patty's Day weekend at the holiest of places for us beer snobs.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:12 pm

theavrock wrote:
geoduck wrote:You gotta understand, though, that Portland isn't crazy about beer like most beer cities are crazy about beer. Portland is INSANE about beer. 30 microbreweries inside town and 46 total microbrew outlets. Most breweries in a single town in the world and most breweries/brewpubs in the US. They have every kind of beer you can think of and several that you've never thought of... especially concerning high proof beers. I'd buy that Milwaukee has some decent beers, but this is mecca :D.
This my friend is why I cannot wait to spend St. Patty's Day weekend at the holiest of places for us beer snobs.
True enough! I've been very thrilled since I found out that the ASW started on St. Patty's day!

Also wow, it seems like a lot of us are staying at the Modera!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:22 pm

I won't be there, but I can recommend Rogue, Bridgeport, Widmer, Deschutes and any of the McMenamins.

Just go to NW Portland and wander around until you see a place that looks good. It probably is.

maythurs

New

Post by maythurs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:20 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
maythurs wrote:
Kinderby wrote:They're paying for mileage in addition to gas?! Fml, my flight was $700 and they'd run out of money (now I see why!) to reimburse for ASW when I asked.
I don't think they are paying for the gas. It just says "mileage on your own car". How do I show an original receipt of the mileage on my car? Sorry, if this is a stupid question.
Use the Google Maps as distance from *start* to L&C, multiply by two, submit.

Hey thanks, I'll do that. Hope they accept it.

Am I the only one staying at the Paramount? I've been looking forward to the ASW, now it's almost here! Can't wait.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Everyone else get the email about the event being over-booked? I'm seriously considering skipping the alumni cocktail hour now and just getting Irish. I will only be going to L&C if they reconsider me into a substantial scholarship, so I feel bad about taking up a slot talking to alumni if it's going to be extremely crowded.

JayWilTheBoat

New

Post by JayWilTheBoat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Deschutes is the best beer, hands down. Also in contention is another Oregon beer, although it's from Eugene, is Ninkasi. They don't have a tasting room in Portland (yet) but any bar worth going to has it on tap. But yeah, we love beer. And no offense to Wisconsin, I'm sure you have a lot of great micros, but PBR and all that other stuff is pisswater :)

Oh my gosh I totally spaced it. I know you want to go to several places, by all means, do so. But if you're actually interested in trying lots of beers, aside from going to all of the different breweries hit up Henry's 12th Street Tavern. It was the original Henry Weinhard brewery, now it's an awesome pub that has over 100 beers on tap. The beer menu is like 1,000 pages. Plus, it's just one block west of Powell's, in the same general part of Portland as Deschutes, Rogue, etc.

Ok I know we're talking about beer here, but if you're into coffee hit up Stumptown and/or Barista.
If you're interested in like boutique style shops and things of that nature, go to NW 23rd. You can also find some great restaurants in that area. Including a place called Papa Haydn's, famous for extraordinary dessert.

If anyone wants recommendations on restaurants, especially breakfast, let me know.

Plus my gf wants me to tell all of you non-Portlanders not to go to Chinatown after dark. Unless you wan't crack cocaine, hookers, or to be robbed :roll:

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:06 pm

JayWilTheBoat wrote: Plus my gf wants me to tell all of you non-Portlanders not to go to Chinatown after dark. Unless you wan't crack cocaine, hookers, or to be robbed :roll:
Ahh but if you use crack cocaine and hookers, there won't be anything left to rob 8)

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm flying in tomorrow! If anyone is going to be there tomorrow as well and would like some company to explore downtown Portland with, let me know. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:34 pm

geoduck wrote:Everyone else get the email about the event being over-booked? I'm seriously considering skipping the alumni cocktail hour now and just getting Irish.
You make an excellent point, my friend. :D

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:43 pm

JayWilTheBoat wrote: Oh my gosh I totally spaced it. I know you want to go to several places, by all means, do so. But if you're actually interested in trying lots of beers, aside from going to all of the different breweries hit up Henry's 12th Street Tavern. It was the original Henry Weinhard brewery, now it's an awesome pub that has over 100 beers on tap. The beer menu is like 1,000 pages. Plus, it's just one block west of Powell's, in the same general part of Portland as Deschutes, Rogue, etc.
I will be here at some point. There is no doubt. Dunno how I've never ended up there the few times I've been in Portland.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:45 pm

geoduck wrote:
JayWilTheBoat wrote: Oh my gosh I totally spaced it. I know you want to go to several places, by all means, do so. But if you're actually interested in trying lots of beers, aside from going to all of the different breweries hit up Henry's 12th Street Tavern. It was the original Henry Weinhard brewery, now it's an awesome pub that has over 100 beers on tap. The beer menu is like 1,000 pages. Plus, it's just one block west of Powell's, in the same general part of Portland as Deschutes, Rogue, etc.
I will be here at some point. There is no doubt. Dunno how I've never ended up there the few times I've been in Portland.
I miss the days before the Pearl got all yuppified and when you drove within 5 blocks of the Henry's brewery, you could smell the yeast and hops from inside your car.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:52 pm

All right. Totally not going to the alumni schmooze event. So I'm down for TLS meet up whenever on Thursday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”