Lewis & Clark ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
LeDique

Diamond

Re: Lewis & Clark ASW

Post by LeDique » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:53 am

So I know I'm late to asking here, but what should I make sure to do in Portland that isn't eating and drinking? I basically have Friday afternoon free so I was thinking to walk along the riverfront, browsing around Powells and heading to the Japanese gardens and the rose gardens. I'm a big park fan when I'm travelling in the afternoons. Anything else I should make sure to do?

Traveling by myself if that makes a difference, and they won't let me drink here yet. :(

Oh and any vegetarian places I should make sure to check out?

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:06 am

Apparently there's a pretty good happy hour at Modera from 4-6. (http://nelcentro.com/menus/happy-hour/) I might get a light dinner there before I head over to the alumni thing. Anyone interested in meeting up around then?

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:21 am

I'm probably down.

orangefanta

New

Post by orangefanta » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:05 am

LeDique wrote:I'm a big park fan when I'm travelling in the afternoons. Anything else I should make sure to do?
World's Smallest Park.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:29 am

LeDique wrote:So I know I'm late to asking here, but what should I make sure to do in Portland that isn't eating and drinking? I basically have Friday afternoon free so I was thinking to walk along the riverfront, browsing around Powells and heading to the Japanese gardens and the rose gardens. I'm a big park fan when I'm travelling in the afternoons. Anything else I should make sure to do?

Traveling by myself if that makes a difference, and they won't let me drink here yet. :(

Oh and any vegetarian places I should make sure to check out?
This time of year, the rose gardens really aren't worth going to. It'll just be a soggy wet lawn with the rose bushes all trimmed back. Even the view of the city isn't great when it's cloudy and you can't see Mt. Hood.

Try OMSI or the Chinese Gardens instead.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Forest Park is one of the largest (if not the largest) parks within city limits of any city. Try this trail: http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/fin ... n=ViewPark You can take the streetcar up to NW 23rd, then walk to Upshire.

If you're feeling a bit less ambitious, try Tanner Springs Park (NW 10th and Marshall) in the Pearl District if it isn't raining. It's a fantastic place to read and watch the Pearl go by.

The Ace Hotel has a great lounge area with a Stumptown Coffee annex in it. It's a great place to post up for an afternoon.

As for vegetarian restaurants, you'll want to head to SE Hawthorne Ave., but barring that, just about any place downtown caters to vegetarians. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:26 pm

I should have thought about the rose gardens, doh. Thanks for your help.

Normally I ask where the vegetarian restaurants are - I figured with Portland I had the luxury of looking for the notable ones.

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Just checked in - they had a room available at 11:45. Not bad!

Modera is extremely nice. Bout to go to Bridgeport Brewery with a friend for some food. I'm still down to get something in the hotel restaurant for happy hour though.

Nailjohnj

Bronze

Post by Nailjohnj » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Spent the day lost in Powell's Bookstore. Seriously, that store may end up tipping things L&C's way. Its freaking amazing.

Currently enjoying some of Portland's finely crafted IPAs. I won't make the alumni event tonight, but I am looking forward to the song and dance tomorrow. It should be a good time. And I am going up to Timberline Sat morning. I am excited to board for the first time this season. This city is pretty freaking cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Probably had a few too many beers last night.....

Anyone doing anything tonight? It was really nice meeting you all. I'll be out and about again if anyone wants to go out. Hit me up on the e-mail thread or what-not.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Today was pretty perfect at Mt Hood. Feel bad for rinkrat that today was one of the days missed!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:18 pm

LeDique wrote:Today was pretty perfect at Mt Hood. Feel bad for rinkrat that today was one of the days missed!
Oh sure, rub it in! :)
I've a couple of great days so far this year, and our season goes until May (August at Timberline), so I'm sure I'll make it up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”