Going to visit a local school

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
JAGX

Going to visit a local school

Postby JAGX » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm going to be starring law school in the Fall, and I'm considering going to my local law school (UB).

I live about ~45 min away, and I commute for undergrad to a nearby school. But, for law school, I suspect that I will have to spend long hours after class studying in the library after hours and on the weekends. I would also like to participate in mock trial and/or a law review journal. This being said, it will be add a significant cost to get an apartment. I think it would be easier in general to be able to have a home base to bounce back and forth to between classes, but of course my father disagrees and thinks I should just sit in the library between/after class, then come home after I'm done.

What should I consider and what do you think I should do?

Capitol A

Re: Going to visit a local school

Postby Capitol A » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:43 pm

JAGX wrote:I'm going to be starring law school in the Fall, and I'm considering going to my local law school (UB).

I live about ~45 min away, and I commute for undergrad to a nearby school. But, for law school, I suspect that I will have to spend long hours after class studying in the library after hours and on the weekends. I would also like to participate in mock trial and/or a law review journal. This being said, it will be add a significant cost to get an apartment. I think it would be easier in general to be able to have a home base to bounce back and forth to between classes, but of course my father disagrees and thinks I should just sit in the library between/after class, then come home after I'm done.

What should I consider and what do you think I should do?

I wouldn't commute 45min.
Then again I live in Phx, where urban sprawl is second to very few places in the US, and I still refuse go anywhere more than about 10miles from my house. Commuting is a pain in the butt, especially when you're spending 60hrs/week on school, why would you want to throw away 1.5hrs of your life every day stuck in a car? Even if you only went to school on the 5 weekdays, assume the school year is comprised of 2 12wk semesters, that is 90 completely non productive hours of your life you will not get back.
I say get a place within 5 miles and ride a bike if possible. This way you get some fresh air every morning and night, and I believe a few minutes of light outdoor exercise in the morning drastically improves your mood and productivity of the day.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 am

I agree with the last poster.

Find a place nearby so you can make the most of your time. The schedule your father suggests is great-maybe for him. You need to really ask yourself if you are willing to sit in the library and work on a daily basis between classes.

Personally, I think I'd like a break and more flexibility with my time schedule.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:55 am

I have never commuted to law school, beimg a 0l, but I did for undergrad. It has its perks, as you probably know, but I think the downside is getting involved. I was a ghost on campus when I commuted. for law school it would be beneficial to fully immerse yourself in every aspect.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Every student panel I've listened to has had at least one or more commuter students who talked about their experiences. They all seemed to think that they had made the best choice for them. However, they did structure their lives so that they could do their work during the day (much like the majority of the working world) and spend time with their families in the evenings. If that is not your style, then you may find commuting to be a drag just due to the sheer amount of work you're going to have to do at night after your drive home. Most people I talked to, commuters or not, did not "bounce back and forth between classes." They brought lunch with them and spent the majority of their day at the school. Personally, I think you would waste just as much time traveling home to a local apartment in between classes as you would traveling home to your parent's place at the end of the day. Also consider the fact that people who live in very large cities often commute twice as long as you will need to just to get to their jobs or schools, depending on where they can afford to live. It's all a matter of how you look at it and what you can make work for you.

I also see that you mentioned expense. If you are going to have to borrow money to live in an apartment, that should be a huge consideration in your cost/benefit analysis. Consider how much money you're spending in gas to commute now and compare it with how much money you'll spend in rent if you share an apartment with someone. That should help you determine whether or not it's cost effective as well.

My main suggestion? Definitely go visit the law school either on an accepted students day or on some weekday the school allows. Make sure to let the person coordinating your visit know that you are interested in talking to one of their student ambassadors (or whatever they call them at the school) that commutes back and forth from their hometown. Talking to students who are in similar situations and considering that in light of your own experience and preferences will help you make a more informed decision.

Also, remember, if it's not working out for you to commute from home, there is nothing that says you can't get an apartment later on. On the other hand, if you get in an apartment and find that it's not worth it, you could ask your parents to let you move back in once your lease is up. This decision is not as set in stone as it may seem, so just go with what you think is right and you'll be fine. :D

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:39 pm

I read the first sentence as "I'm going to be starring in law school this fall" and found it extremely amusing lol. Carry on.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 pm

I need some more data before I can give accurate advice, though I generally agree with the people encouraging you to get out of the house.

First, you commute to undergrad to a school near to you or near to the law school? It is unclear from your post. What is your daily commute to UG?

Second, have you ever not lived with your parents?

Third, what is your GPA at UG? How involved are you in on-campus activities?

EDIT: Keep in mind that you're attending a bottom tier-2 school, so your instinct to participate in mock trial/law review is dead on balls accurate. You're going to need to make yourself shine.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”