NYU and Columbia Visits March 30 - April 1 Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
tkdman87

New

NYU and Columbia Visits March 30 - April 1

Post by tkdman87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:38 am

Anyone planning on trying to do Columbia and NYU in the same weekend? They overlap on March 31st, but I was thinking of trying to fit them both in my NYC trip so I don't need to go twice. Bad idea? Do you guys think I'll miss anything crucial at one or the other?

cold_logic

New

Re: NYU and Columbia Visits March 30 - April 1

Post by cold_logic » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Doing the same thing here. We'll just have to make a smooth transition on Thursday. Looks like the NYU events don't really get going until the afternoon, anyway.

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:45 pm

I'm planning on doing this too :D I think we should be fine, I'll probably head to NYU after lunch.

camelcrema

Bronze

Post by camelcrema » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:49 pm

Don't these schools have some sort of contingencies on their travel stipends where you have to spend a certain amount of time at each school to get the subsidy?

cold_logic

New

Post by cold_logic » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:55 pm

From Columbia:
Please note that in order to receive any reimbursement for the Admitted Student Program, attendance is required from no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday to 4:30 p.m. on Thursday.

If you will be visiting a number of law schools at the same time that you visit Columbia, you should inquire about assistance for travel expenses at the other schools, and inform us of any travel assistance you receive from them.
Don't see any comments on the subject from the NYU Admit website. Perhaps we can show up late to NYU and take the CLS subsidy?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:59 pm

camelcrema wrote:Don't these schools have some sort of contingencies on their travel stipends where you have to spend a certain amount of time at each school to get the subsidy?
I don't think you have to spend a certain amount of time. But I do believe you have to request reimbursement before the weekend and for NYU you have to be there before 5pm on the first day. Also you need to fill out an institutional finance form for NYU, and let both NYU and Columbia know if you're receiving a subsidy from another school that you'll be visiting. I think that's it, am I missing something??

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 pm

cold_logic wrote:From Columbia:
Please note that in order to receive any reimbursement for the Admitted Student Program, attendance is required from no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday to 4:30 p.m. on Thursday.

If you will be visiting a number of law schools at the same time that you visit Columbia, you should inquire about assistance for travel expenses at the other schools, and inform us of any travel assistance you receive from them.
Don't see any comments on the subject from the NYU Admit website. Perhaps we can show up late to NYU and take the CLS subsidy?
I'm thinking of spending most of Thursday with CLS (at least past 4:30pm), fwiw

cold_logic

New

Post by cold_logic » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:04 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
camelcrema wrote:Don't these schools have some sort of contingencies on their travel stipends where you have to spend a certain amount of time at each school to get the subsidy?
I don't think you have to spend a certain amount of time. But I do believe you have to request reimbursement before the weekend and for NYU you have to be there before 5pm on the first day. Also you need to fill out an institutional finance form for NYU, and let both NYU and Columbia know if you're receiving a subsidy from another school that you'll be visiting. I think that's it, am I missing something??
Hahaha, so we can get aid from both schools provided we can make it from CLS to NYU in half an hour! (Not that they'd let us do that after we disclose, anyway).

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:22 pm

The Stig wrote:
cold_logic wrote:From Columbia:

I'm thinking of spending most of Thursday with CLS (at least past 4:30pm), fwiw
oops guess I confused the two schools, but from past threads it seems it's fairly difficult to get a subsidy because they take parental finance information into account... oh well I'm only taking a train anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alicen

Bronze

Post by alicen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:06 pm

okay dumb q: will we get housing for these stays or are we left to fend for ourselves?

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:18 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
oops guess I confused the two schools, but from past threads it seems it's fairly difficult to get a subsidy because they take parental finance information into account... oh well I'm only taking a train anyway
seriously?
alicen wrote:okay dumb q: will we get housing for these stays or are we left to fend for ourselves?
I emailed a CLS student from their admitted student website and he is going to host me for Tuesday/Wednesday! Not sure about for NYUs though...

Also, the CLS VCE has a bunch of hotel info IIRC

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:38 pm

The Stig wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:
seriously?
I'm confused? Why the seriously? If you look at the archives someone posted in the NYU thread that they received this back from the office when they requested funding:

"Thank you for your request for travel assistance to NYU School of Law. I have reviewed your request and regret to inform you that we are unable to provide you with a travel subsidy.

At NYU School of Law, we have consciously decided to look at a student's entire family financial status when evaluating an application for our institutional funding. As I have limited funds available for travel reimbursements, decisions such as this one are difficult to make.

Thank you for your interest in NYU School of Law."

And then he/she said that they expected to get a travel subsidy because neither he/she nor his/her parents make that much money

Edit: If that was a legitimate question then disregard my confusion, I'm so used to people being sarcastic here that I didn't realize you were the one asking

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:44 pm

For anyone in DC, take that travel subsidy, pocket it, get a megabus ticket from DC to NY and back for $1, profit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:47 pm

champsound wrote:For anyone in DC, take that travel subsidy, pocket it, get a megabus ticket from DC to NY and back for $1, profit.
I'm pretty sure you have to show your original train/airplane receipt, otherwise brilliant idea lol

alicen

Bronze

Post by alicen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:10 pm

The Stig wrote: I emailed a CLS student from their admitted student website and he is going to host me for Tuesday/Wednesday! Not sure about for NYUs though...

ohh nice idea! is it weird to randomly ask a guy to host me if i'm a girl? or are we all grown ups yet?? :?

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:29 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
The Stig wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:
seriously?
I'm confused? Why the seriously? If you look at the archives someone posted in the NYU thread that they received this back from the office when they requested funding:

"Thank you for your request for travel assistance to NYU School of Law. I have reviewed your request and regret to inform you that we are unable to provide you with a travel subsidy.

At NYU School of Law, we have consciously decided to look at a student's entire family financial status when evaluating an application for our institutional funding. As I have limited funds available for travel reimbursements, decisions such as this one are difficult to make.

Thank you for your interest in NYU School of Law."

And then he/she said that they expected to get a travel subsidy because neither he/she nor his/her parents make that much money

Edit: If that was a legitimate question then disregard my confusion, I'm so used to people being sarcastic here that I didn't realize you were the one asking
My seriously referred to them looking at parental finances...we are apparently never going to escape the clutches of the NeedAccess...and it was non-sarcastic

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:12 am

The Stig wrote: My seriously referred to them looking at parental finances...we are apparently never going to escape the clutches of the NeedAccess...and it was non-sarcastic
sowwyyy :oops:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:16 am

eaa1537 wrote:
The Stig wrote: My seriously referred to them looking at parental finances...we are apparently never going to escape the clutches of the NeedAccess...and it was non-sarcastic
sowwyyy :oops:
no worries! unfortunately other schools have significantly more generous stipends, so maybe I need to adjust my expectations :roll:

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:52 am

The Stig wrote: no worries! unfortunately other schools have significantly more generous stipends, so maybe I need to adjust my expectations :roll:
I know! Oh well... but maybe they'll feel generous this year :)

awahoya

Bronze

Post by awahoya » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:56 am

On hold at CLS, but bought my ticket from Asia and visiting NYU and Gtown ASW's...will come to the ASW at CLS if I'm let off of hold, but otherwise will probably just visit my friends on campus :) Hope to see y'all there!

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:20 am

Just FYI, the "Student Organization Events" part of ASW at CLS is the most entertaining, as it's mostly various (open) bar nights hosted by different student orgs around area bars.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:50 pm

JG Hall wrote:Just FYI, the "Student Organization Events" part of ASW at CLS is the most entertaining, as it's mostly various (open) bar nights hosted by different student orgs around area bars.
Which night is that?

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Everyone go to the CLS cocktail hour at the end of ASW - it's open bar, you get to meet a lot of current students (like myself), and everyone goes bar hopping right afterwards.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 am

I'm confused, I thought they had them set up so you could hit both at the same time. They overlap? That's a pain in the neck.

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:12 pm

alicen wrote:
The Stig wrote: I emailed a CLS student from their admitted student website and he is going to host me for Tuesday/Wednesday! Not sure about for NYUs though...

ohh nice idea! is it weird to randomly ask a guy to host me if i'm a girl? or are we all grown ups yet?? :?
^ lol i had the exact same Q... all of the hosting students listed that i shared a UG/interests with were guys, and i didn't know how to write the opening to the 'will you host me?' email to someone random just cause they're a girl? but then i decided that the risks of getting a creepy experience was not worth it... :/
JG Hall wrote:Just FYI, the "Student Organization Events" part of ASW at CLS is the most entertaining, as it's mostly various (open) bar nights hosted by different student orgs around area bars.
and THIS, this is the important info i come to TLS for :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”