WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:04 am

fatduck wrote:
narayan1121 wrote:I called beforehand and they recommended business casual, but they also said it wasn't a particularly big deal.

As for the free alcohol, it certainly gives me a way to earn back some tuition money, and seems to foster a feeling of community. I think Vandy does it too, but I'm not 100% on that. And the students were very friendly - I hung out for a while afterwards in the courtyard area and every group of students was approachable, and some students even saw my nametag and walked up to talk to me.


did i miss something? free beer?


it is the WashU way so i am glad they offer it at asw... almost every wustl event. and always Budweiser products, of course :)

narayan1121
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby narayan1121 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:05 pm

fatduck wrote:
narayan1121 wrote:I called beforehand and they recommended business casual, but they also said it wasn't a particularly big deal.

As for the free alcohol, it certainly gives me a way to earn back some tuition money, and seems to foster a feeling of community. I think Vandy does it too, but I'm not 100% on that. And the students were very friendly - I hung out for a while afterwards in the courtyard area and every group of students was approachable, and some students even saw my nametag and walked up to talk to me.


did i miss something? free beer?


Yeah, every Friday at 4:30pm is Happy Hour in the common area, sponsored by a different student organization, with free beer and liquor (possibly wine too, but I wasn't looking for it).

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:11 pm

narayan1121 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
narayan1121 wrote:I called beforehand and they recommended business casual, but they also said it wasn't a particularly big deal.

As for the free alcohol, it certainly gives me a way to earn back some tuition money, and seems to foster a feeling of community. I think Vandy does it too, but I'm not 100% on that. And the students were very friendly - I hung out for a while afterwards in the courtyard area and every group of students was approachable, and some students even saw my nametag and walked up to talk to me.


did i miss something? free beer?


Yeah, every Friday at 4:30pm is Happy Hour in the common area, sponsored by a different student organization, with free beer and liquor (possibly wine too, but I wasn't looking for it).


awesome, i love it. iRobot used to do that too (we called it beer o'clock) but i think it was scrapped due to concerns about dui liability...

peaches2132
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby peaches2132 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Muenchen (or anyone with knowledge of STL), how's the metrolink? Sketchy? Also, any basic advice on where NOT to go if I'm exploring the city on my own?

ebw1080
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby ebw1080 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:04 pm

I can't say I'm too familiar with St. Louis, but I did just visit this week for the same exploration purpose. Metrolink wasn't too sketchy- it's just not that convenient, there are only 2 lines and a lot of the places I wanted to see were mostly away from the Metro. I did a ton of walking, never felt unsafe, but also mostly walked around during the day. A car probably would have been convenient, so if you can finesse that, I'd advise it.

User avatar
Muenchen
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:27 pm

ebw1080 wrote:I can't say I'm too familiar with St. Louis, but I did just visit this week for the same exploration purpose. Metrolink wasn't too sketchy- it's just not that convenient, there are only 2 lines and a lot of the places I wanted to see were mostly away from the Metro. I did a ton of walking, never felt unsafe, but also mostly walked around during the day. A car probably would have been convenient, so if you can finesse that, I'd advise it.


Peaches, this is credited. The metrolink is generally quite safe and decent, but as indicated it is generally only useful to a small portion of the population. St. Louis is a relatively low-density city and I think is generally very well structured as far as roads and highways. This makes for generally easy driving and cheap parking, but the relative expansiveness of the county outside of the restricted city limits does not make it very pedestrian friendly.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby snichols16 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:54 pm

What's the consensus for the Feb 25 ASW? Are people sticking around Friday night to go out, or heading back hither and yawn after the soiree that afternoon?

frustrated3
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby frustrated3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 pm

For those of you who have already visited WUSTL, which hotel do you recommend booking for ASD?

Jeffro
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby Jeffro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:18 pm

frustrated3 wrote:For those of you who have already visited WUSTL, which hotel do you recommend booking for ASD?
I stayed at the Sheraton in Clayton. It was fairly inexpensive even though it was a Sheraton, was definitely in a nice/safe area, let me see a separate part of STL, and had some good restaurants nearby. I booked it online, but I think I heard that they will provide a discount for WUSTL visitors if you call directly. If you do stay there I would recommend a rental car, because it is a few minutes drive from campus. WUSTL provides free parking if you do drive to campus for your visit.

(Personally I preferred having a car anyway, because I have never visited STL and got to drive around a lot.)

frustrated3
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby frustrated3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:31 pm

ok great! thanks! will look into it...I'm going to the March ASD. Will look into a rental too...damn the cost of this trip is starting to rise..hehehehe

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:55 pm

snichols16 wrote:What's the consensus for the Feb 25 ASW? Are people sticking around Friday night to go out, or heading back hither and yawn after the soiree that afternoon?

I was planning on playing it by ear.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby snichols16 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:20 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
snichols16 wrote:What's the consensus for the Feb 25 ASW? Are people sticking around Friday night to go out, or heading back hither and yawn after the soiree that afternoon?

I was planning on playing it by ear.


Unfortunately, Delta doesn't offer a "play it by ear" option.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

snichols16 wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:
snichols16 wrote:What's the consensus for the Feb 25 ASW? Are people sticking around Friday night to go out, or heading back hither and yawn after the soiree that afternoon?

I was planning on playing it by ear.


Unfortunately, Delta doesn't offer a "play it by ear" option.

If your decision is flying back friday evening or saturday, I'd say wait until saturday. Even if nothing "happens" after ASD you can see a little bit of the area and such. That is, if you're willing to put up for a hotel.

peaches2132
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby peaches2132 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Just returning from the 2/25 visit day. Gorgeous school/campus! I loved it, but still have a LOT to think about.

I asked them about the travel stipend and they said they'd make an announcement about it, but they never did and I totally forgot to ask again at the end of the day. Anyone have information on this? (I sent them an email, just wondering).

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby Hannibal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:20 pm

peaches2132 wrote:Just returning from the 2/25 visit day. Gorgeous school/campus! I loved it, but still have a LOT to think about.

I asked them about the travel stipend and they said they'd make an announcement about it, but they never did and I totally forgot to ask again at the end of the day. Anyone have information on this? (I sent them an email, just wondering).


I emailed them about a month ago and they said they have a form at ASW and you can get your money then if you bring receipts, or you can take it home and mail it in. I'm sure they can email you a PDF or something.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Hannibal wrote:
peaches2132 wrote:Just returning from the 2/25 visit day. Gorgeous school/campus! I loved it, but still have a LOT to think about.

I asked them about the travel stipend and they said they'd make an announcement about it, but they never did and I totally forgot to ask again at the end of the day. Anyone have information on this? (I sent them an email, just wondering).


I emailed them about a month ago and they said they have a form at ASW and you can get your money then if you bring receipts, or you can take it home and mail it in. I'm sure they can email you a PDF or something.


They totally lied about the receipts- they really pushed me to take the mail in form. Which reminds me, time to do that now. Cheap bastards didn't put a stamp on it (I hope everyone recognizes I'm joking)

frustrated3
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby frustrated3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:33 am

Anybody going in March? :)

timduncanformvp
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:26 am

Re: WUSTL's First ASW by Muenchen

Postby timduncanformvp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:02 am

I remembered to ask them for it and just filled it out there (took literally 30 seconds) and gave them my receipts. They had a big stack of the envelopes in admissions, so I think they just forgot to announce it.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest