GULC early admitted student event (Jan 27 - 28)

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
bdubs

GULC early admitted student event (Jan 27 - 28)

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:43 pm

I figured I would give a quick run down for those who didn't go of the first day of the early admitted student reception at GULC. I had to work on day 2, so hopefully someone else can cover the content of the sessions from today.

Getting everything together was a bit chaotic, I had a place to meet my 1L ambassador contact but it seemed like many did not. Also, the weather was uncharacteristically bad the day before the event which caused many people's transportation to be delayed, cancelled or otherwise messed up.

There was a registration where we were given a name tag along with a swag bag containing a t-shirt, frisbee, note pad, pen, and squishy mascot, all of which were emblazoned with the GULC name.

We started the events on time with an announcement from Dean Cornblatt to head down to the auditorium area. Everyone got into the seats and I would say it was 90% full, so the turnout must not have been too bad. I did see a lot of non-admits there (parents, friends, SOs, etc...).

There was an introductory spiel from Cornblatt about the school, followed by Dean Treanor, the Dean of Students, and the head of the of PI office. After the pep talks about how great GULC is, Cornblatt said that Ken Feinberg was running late so we were encouraged to introduce ourselves to new people seated around us.

Ken Feinberg came and gave a talk about his experiences in Washington, DC in a number of politically appointed positions. He also talked about teaching at GULC, how great the students were, and what sort of opportunities the school's location provided. Afterwards he took questions for 10-15 minutes.

After a short break we came back to an alumni panel. There was a pretty diverse cross section of alums, 3 biglaw lawyers (1 year, 3 years and 10 years out IIRC), 1 PI lawyer, and a non-traditional that does political coverage at CNN. The panel gave brief introductions and then took questions. The questions either focused on opportunities at GULC or on career prospects out of GULC. The panel generally painted a rosier picture of GULC employment than you would get on TLS (big surprise! :-) ). I have to say that the non-traditional grad was extremely annoying and took over a lot of responses to questions with blathering that was irrelevant to 90% of the people there (talk about the PT program, working in a non-traditional field, etc.....)

After the panel, we got up and had student led tours of the buildings. The campus is pretty small and very new. There is a giant fitness center, basically 2 classroom/admin buildings, the library, and one student residence hall. The tour was really short and we didn't cover any classroom space or specifics, really just looked at the buildings (other tours seemed to follow a different route).

Post tour, we were served dinner on a buffet line staffed by the various deans running the event. Everyone had an opportunity to mingle over dinner and there were random professors roaming around talking with admitted students.

I had to go home before the after-hours event at Kelly's Irish times, so if someone went you can fill in on what that was like.

Overall, I had kind of made up mind not to go to GULC before attending the event but now would consider if given a substantial scholarship. They did a pretty decent job of pointing out some of the positive attributes of the school.

Side note - I don't know if all ASW events have this or not, but there was a lot of awkward conversations going on about what other schools people were considering or had been admitted to. There were clearly two groups who were there, one with GULC on the low end of their list and another with it on the high end. Seemed to create some uneasiness.

Anyone have anything to add?

law_monkey

Re: GULC early admitted student event (Jan 27 - 28)

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks! I was hoping someone would do this.

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Ditto on the annoying cnn guy.
I went to todays events too...I don't think I remember everything but ill try...

Today was pretty helpful, we had breakfast and then had a presentation on financial aid and loans. Definitely answered most of my questions about the process and since im interested in public service I was especially happy that they spent time explaining ibr/lrap. For people who couldn't go, gulc will be posting a loan calculator on the asw that looks pretty handy, its probably the same as most of the ones online but it also calculates lrap payments. Afterwards a panel of professors mooted the snyder v. Phelps supreme court case which was really interesting, if those people would be my professors that would be awesome. Then there was a student panel where they answered questions, like the person above said, they seemed optimistic about job prospects but none of them seemed like they were particularly interested in big law so that's something to keep in mind. There were open houses after that but I didn't go. If anyone has more specific questions I might be able to say if they answered any of them.

The tshirt, sadly, is way too corny to actually wear, as it says "hoya lawya"

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm

almostfamous wrote:Ditto on the annoying cnn guy.
I went to todays events too...I don't think I remember everything but ill try...

Today was pretty helpful, we had breakfast and then had a presentation on financial aid and loans. Definitely answered most of my questions about the process and since im interested in public service I was especially happy that they spent time explaining ibr/lrap. For people who couldn't go, gulc will be posting a loan calculator on the asw that looks pretty handy, its probably the same as most of the ones online but it also calculates lrap payments. Afterwards a panel of professors mooted the snyder v. Phelps supreme court case which was really interesting, if those people would be my professors that would be awesome. Then there was a student panel where they answered questions, like the person above said, they seemed optimistic about job prospects but none of them seemed like they were particularly interested in big law so that's something to keep in mind. There were open houses after that but I didn't go. If anyone has more specific questions I might be able to say if they answered any of them.

The tshirt, sadly, is way too corny to actually wear, as it says "hoya lawya"

What did they say about merit vs. need-based aid? I am interested to hear what and when they will be offering.

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:39 pm

They didn't say much about merit aid but they said need based was pretty much on a rolling basis. The yellow form will go up in feb and he said once they have a whole package together that it only takes a few weeks, but im not sure if they'll start looking at them right away. They definitely take into account parental information for grants no matter if you are independent or even if you're married or have kids...I got the impression that if your parents have any sort of money you probably wont be getting a need based grant and everything else comes from loans. He also said they prefer needaccess over the css profile so that's something to keep in mind.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:29 pm

i liked the frisbee!

jimraynor

Postby jimraynor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:09 pm

At the financial aid seminar one thing they were showing off was...

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/Ge ... entsV2.htm

Basically it calculates costs / how much is repaid under LRAP / IBR / whatever.

I agree with the poster who mentioned that the group of admitted students seemed pretty divided. I think the ASW was focusing on those for whom Georgetown was at the top of the list, emphasizing that it may be worth additional costs / prestige is important / etc.

Thought two was that the overall theme seemed to be "DC is great, we're good"

Just my .02

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:31 pm

I really liked the non-trad CNN guy, and he reminded me of Matt Damon's character in The Informant.

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm

I wasn't as annoyed by the CNN as some of you. I was pretty impressed by the guy next to him with the Navy background. He seemed really successful and happy with his work. He also mentioned he turned down Harvard and Yale for GULC, but didn't really explain.

The speakers generally did a really good job of conveying the value of going to school in DC.

If I end up at Georgetown I definitely won't live in the dorms after seeing them and hearing the price. You can live like a real person for less money and be 15-25 minutes from the school.

I was pretty surprised that some people came with their parents. Overall I wasn't too impressed with the maturity level of some of the people there. Does GULC have a lower average age than other similar schools?

One other random thing that I noticed was that whenever anyone wanted to compare GULC favorably to another school, they always brought up NYU or Harvard.

JPR0488

Postby JPR0488 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Last edited by JPR0488 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lmi

Postby lmi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:05 pm

I thought Georgetown did a pretty good job of selling DC. I knew going in that there would be additional opportunities at a school in a city like DC, but their discussion of internships/externships was pretty exciting. Basically they made the point that while many law school students from around the country (NYU/Stanford etc.) flock to DC for government opportunities over the summer, Georgetown students have these opportunities year round, and it is (they made it seem) very possible to get these experiences during the semester.

Kenneth Feinberg's presentation was excellent, I agree. Overall I thought the discussion with the alumni was good. It felt a little optimistic, perhaps, but they were all definitely fans of Georgetown. Although I think they all remained in DC after graduation, if I recall correctly (well, one clerked for a year somewhere first). I didn't get as much out of the discussion with the current students. Not that I don't appreciate them taking the time to talk to us, I just think I had a group that wasn't very representative (one in her fourth year getting an LLM, a 2L transfer from part time to full time, and a 3L who started with curric. B), so I didn't get much of a sense for how OCI (or rather, EIW) was or their thoughts about job prospects.

The financial aid talk was expectedly sobering. I am not expecting much in the form of aid, though would welcome it, as I think I could be excited about going to Georgetown after this visit. Nice swag, as well. Plus, the cupcakes on Friday were delicious.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:08 pm

jcn4 wrote:I wasn't as annoyed by the CNN as some of you. I was pretty impressed by the guy next to him with the Navy background. He seemed really successful and happy with his work. He also mentioned he turned down Harvard and Yale for GULC, but didn't really explain.

That guy convinced me that intelligence can lead one to succeed in law school. He turned down Harvard and Yale and ended up basically at the top of his class at GULC, so I am no longer entirely convinced that grades are as random as people make them out to be (yes, I am willing to take one real life example over many anonymous TLS posters).

I will be looking very closely at my financial aid/scholarship offers.

helloscriptkitti

Postby helloscriptkitti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. I spent my day at LAX for nothing. I guess I didn't miss much and wasn't really looking forward to the snow anyway :?

Edit: Looks like I did miss a gorgeous navy guy and free cupcakes :evil:

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:39 pm

I did enjoy the 2 days overall. The professors and administration were very nice, especially Andy Cornblatt. Overall, I thought they did a fine job in selling the school.

However, to echo sentiments that some of the students seemed a bit immature, if I heard one more student (current or admitted), use the word "gay" to mean "stupid", I would have exploded. This is not high school, people. This especially goes out to the group of girls taking a picture holding up their cupcakes. One girl commented, "Oh my god, we look so gay!"

No, lady, you just look like morons.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:13 am

Since there were individuals that accompanied admitted students, I don't know if immature ones were actually prospective students or not. I met a few I was able to connect with rather quickly, but I did see plenty that made me second guess the school. I'm sure the atmosphere will be markedly different when classes start.

I spent most of the second day with career services, trying to get a grasp on the economic conditions and what they are seeing in the legal market. They painted the picture that this year has stabilized which means SA jobs will improve as firms begin to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I did speak with several 2Ls and 3Ls I met through a mutual friend from my undergraduate institution. The 3L was bitter. He hated legal work, was upset that he didn't land a job and is facing 160k in debt without stable income. The two 2Ls I spoke with both loved their experience and, not surprisingly, had SA jobs locked for the summer (one at Paul, Weiss and the other I forgot).

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 am

[quote="lmi"]I thought Georgetown did a pretty good job of selling DC. I knew going in that there would be additional opportunities at a school in a city like DC, but their discussion of internships/externships was pretty exciting. Basically they made the point that while many law school students from around the country flock to DC for government opportunities over the summer, Georgetown students have these opportunities year round, and it is (they made it seem) very possible to get these experiences during the semester.
[quote]

Funny, this is almost exactly what I used to say as an undergrad Gtown tour guide...at least in undergrad, we definitely took advantage of the fall/spring internships. I'm pretty curious to see how this would be different with the higher pressure and rougher schedule of a law student.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:22 am

awahoya wrote:Funny, this is almost exactly what I used to say as an undergrad Gtown tour guide...at least in undergrad, we definitely took advantage of the fall/spring internships. I'm pretty curious to see how this would be different with the higher pressure and rougher schedule of a law student.

That's what 2L and 3L are for

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:15 am

For the record, i did not meet or see anyone that I considered to be immature. Quite the contrary actually, I can honestly say that I was impressed by the people I met. I'm several years out of school and I was concerned that I would find the students still in undergrad to me immature/annoying but everyone was great! :)

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”