Visiting Northwestern!

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Aggiegrad2011

Visiting Northwestern!

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Hey everyone... now that I've been placed on hold (with a lot of other fellow amazing applicants, shout out!) I am pondering the thought of flying out to Chicago to visit the campus, sit in on a class and do that whole thing.

Does anyone here care to share their experience either visiting NU, or as a student at NU? I would appreciate it! I'm sure I am not the only one, either!

Thanks in advance=]

krad

Re: Visiting Northwestern!

Postby krad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Tag to see if TT picks up :)

I'll be in Chi Feb 25-28 for a trip to see family and friends, so I plan to stop by campus, etc.

E: I was put on hold as well, blah.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 pm

I visited a year ago, but do to some timing issues, it was spring break, so there weren't as many student's around to get that vibe/talk to. However, I recommend the self-guided tour, it's pretty fun. I liked the general feel of the buildings. A downtown big-city feel, but there's a park right next door with a running track. Also, the views of the lake are awesome and the admissions staff seemed very friendly/helpful to me.

gov

Postby gov » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:21 pm

I am thinking about going the second week of March. Will probably to try interview on campus as well.

Homestyle, were you already accepted?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:39 pm

govorett wrote:I am thinking about going the second week of March. Will probably to try interview on campus as well.

Homestyle, were you already accepted?

I was accepted last year, but opted to defer a year. Had already been accepted when I visited, but had not been given the deferral.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:26 pm

If my deferral request (mailed Tuesday) is accepted, I'll be attending this year's ASW April 8-9 (and probably next year's, too. Why not?). Can't wait!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:53 am

Just booked my ticket and hotel! Splurged on a nicer hotel, and allowed myself a couple of extra days to explore the city.

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Has anyone found any relatively cheap hotels near the school? My wife and I are both going and we're spending three nights, so inexpensive accommodations nearby would be great but seem hard to find.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:Has anyone found any relatively cheap hotels near the school? My wife and I are both going and we're spending three nights, so inexpensive accommodations nearby would be great but seem hard to find.

Unfortunately, it's not exactly a Motel 6 kind of area. There was a Holiday Inn Express and a Red Roof Inn within walking distance that weren't too expensive (relatively speaking). I found a decent deal on either Hotels.com or Priceline (can't remember) for the Knickerbocker, only about $15-20/night more than the Holiday Inn, so I splurged a little.

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Siamsa414 wrote:Has anyone found any relatively cheap hotels near the school? My wife and I are both going and we're spending three nights, so inexpensive accommodations nearby would be great but seem hard to find.

Unfortunately, it's not exactly a Motel 6 kind of area. There was a Holiday Inn Express and a Red Roof Inn within walking distance that weren't too expensive (relatively speaking). I found a decent deal on either Hotels.com or Priceline (can't remember) for the Knickerbocker, only about $15-20/night more than the Holiday Inn, so I splurged a little.

Would you be kind enough to share a ballpark range for the rate you found? $15x, $18x? I'm wondering if my hope of a double-digit rate is a pipe dream and I should give up and book something.

fjsms

Postby fjsms » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Try calling some of the hotels on the Northwestern website that indicate a special rate. When I visited in October, I got a great rate at the Affinia, which is my favorite Chicago hotel and right near campus (the rate was less than half what you could get online at the time).

Actually, I just looked at their website, and rates are at $150 for ASW, which I think is right around the NU price. I highly recommend it. I am staying with family, but at that price, I am tempted to stay in town for Friday night.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:41 am

Siamsa414 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Would you be kind enough to share a ballpark range for the rate you found? $15x, $18x? I'm wondering if my hope of a double-digit rate is a pipe dream and I should give up and book something.

My rate at the Knickerbocker was $120-something (including tax) per night. I found it on hotwire (with my plane ticket) about a week and a half ago.

The Tremont, Red Roof Inn and HoJo Downtown had slightly lower rates, but still over $100. I think the only thing I saw under $100 anywhere near downtown was a hostel of some kind.

You could find something cheaper in a surrounding neighborhood on the Red Line somewhere, not within walking distance of campus. Priceline has a map you can search on.

adamdroog

Postby adamdroog » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:23 pm

I did the priceline name your own price and got the Inn of Chicago for $60/night. It is close to the school and looks alright online.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Anyone have any plans beyond the ASW events? I mean, beyond challenging the >0Ls to drinking contests in the bar afterwards.

Since I've never been to Chicago I knew I wanted to give myself a little extra time in the city. I'm staying 4 nights total, but the only must-do item on my list so far is to treat my inner geek to a trip to the Museum of Science and Industry. (Shut up. They have a real U-boat indoors!)

And I just remembered that University of Chicago's Oriental Institute has one of the world's best collections of ancient Egyptian artifacts...my inner geek might drag me there too.

Too bad it's not baseball season, or I'd hit up Wrigley. Blackhawks tickets would probably be hard to get, considering that Sunday is the last regular season game. And basketball can go fuck itself.

Seems like I need some suggestions for less edifying activities.

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Too bad it's not baseball season, or I'd hit up Wrigley. Blackhawks tickets would probably be hard to get, considering that Sunday is the last regular season game. And basketball can go fuck itself.

If you're going for the ASW on April 8-9, baseball will be in season! I'm thinking of catching the White Sox on the 7th.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Too bad it's not baseball season, or I'd hit up Wrigley. Blackhawks tickets would probably be hard to get, considering that Sunday is the last regular season game. And basketball can go fuck itself.

If you're going for the ASW on April 8-9, baseball will be in season! I'm thinking of catching the White Sox on the 7th.

How dumb am I for not checking the schedule?
But US Cellular Field doesn't quite have the same draw as Wrigley. I like the old parks. And unfortunately the Cubs are away that weekend. :)

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:05 pm

Bump and roll call: Who is attending the Northwestern ASW this weekend? My partner and I will be there!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:09 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:Bump and roll call: Who is attending the Northwestern ASW this weekend? My partner and I will be there!

I'm in...I think if you peruse the NU class of 2014 and the 2011 applicant thread you can get a general head count

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”