Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Curry

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby Curry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:50 am

atlantisdan wrote:I'm in the deep south, there aren't a great deal of Harvard's, Yale's, Stanford's here. For the small rural towns, one TTT is just as good as any other TTT, heck even TTTT.

In my town 75% of the lawyers graduated from the Nashville school of Law, it isn't even ABA.

If I were wanting to go to Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, then it would be different, but to practice in the Mississippis, Tennessees, Alabamas, it really doesn't make a difference.

Again, it comes down to different needs. I want to practice back home, in that regard the ranking of my school means little.

Different needs...

Law school costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Scholarships + Location + Likelihood of getting a job should play a role here.

User avatar
atlantisdan
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby atlantisdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:54 am

So I should only go to law school if I'm going to work for a large firm?

Curry

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby Curry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:02 am

atlantisdan wrote:So I should only go to law school if I'm going to work for a large firm?

I'm glad you know how to read.

User avatar
atlantisdan
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby atlantisdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:08 am

Or illogical.

Not everyone has a desire to work in a law firm. I certianly don't.

I do have a love for the law and the opportunity to use it to help peole.And the schools that I have considered will allow me to do what I want. That's why I am going to law school, to do a job that I want to do.

Different worlds, different needs. Last time I say it, choosing a law school isn't a one size fits all process. If it was there would only be the elite schools and only elite lawyers.

Have a good night, and good luck on your law firm dreams.

Curry

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby Curry » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:15 am

atlantisdan wrote:Or illogical.

Not everyone has a desire to work in a law firm. I certianly don't.

I do have a love for the law and the opportunity to use it to help peole.And the schools that I have considered will allow me to do what I want. That's why I am going to law school, to do a job that I want to do.

Different worlds, different needs. Last time I say it, choosing a law school isn't a one size fits all process. If it was there would only be the elite schools and only elite lawyers.

Have a good night, and good luck on your law firm dreams.


Dear lord. I never said anything about working in a law firm. The only time i ever mentioned it, i said DONT COUNT ON WORKING IN A LAW FIRM. Really. I'm glad you've done a good job representing what I'm saying in the past hour. I never said I want to work in a firm, you are making assumptions that are completely unfounded. What you want to do fits in exactly with the criteria i mentioned earlier. You aren't arguing for culture here, you are arguing for location. That fits into what I was saying. I don't know where you learned to make logical inferences but you are doing a horrendous job of them here.

User avatar
atlantisdan
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby atlantisdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:19 am

Regardless what you do then, or what you pursue good luck to you.

(Hopefully there's no criticism from that post)

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby juliachild-ish » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:18 pm

I think, assuming that the schools are ranked within, say, five or ten places of each other, that culture of the school should definitely be an important factor. It's not just about being happy, or about going to school in a region where you'd like to work. I've heard time and time again from lawyers that the people you go to law school with will be your future clients and connections and a great source of business. If you go to a school that's a bad fit for you, the chances that you will make those close connections are lower. Obviously, any normal person can find a small group of friends at any school, but if you're on a school's fringe rather than tied into its mainstream culture, you're not going to be able to reap the rewards of a significant social network down the line.

I say this as someone who might end up choosing Berkeley or University of Texas over Harvard. Yes, seriously. I'm hoping to get accepted to Stanford or Yale to have the option of staying in the "top three", but I am willing to take a rankings drop to get a) a substantial scholarship and b) a school culture that fits me better. And I feel I would be justified in doing so.

Now, all of my decisions revolve around schools that are more or less T14 or T20. I definitely don't think you should choose a school ranked, say, 80, over one that's ranked 20 just because you fit in better. There exists such a diverse range of schools in each rankings range that you should be able to find a good fit within the highest range you qualify for. And if you only can make it to a third-tier range of schools, as has been said here before many times, you might want to think really hard about law school.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby Grizz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:32 pm

atlantisdan wrote:Or illogical.

Not everyone has a desire to work in a law firm. I certianly don't.

I do have a love for the law and the opportunity to use it to help peole.And the schools that I have considered will allow me to do what I want. That's why I am going to law school, to do a job that I want to do.

Different worlds, different needs. Last time I say it, choosing a law school isn't a one size fits all process. If it was there would only be the elite schools and only elite lawyers.

Have a good night, and good luck on your law firm dreams.


I love it when 0Ls say they have a love for the law lulz

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:36 pm

rad law wrote:
atlantisdan wrote:Or illogical.

Not everyone has a desire to work in a law firm. I certianly don't.

I do have a love for the law and the opportunity to use it to help peole.And the schools that I have considered will allow me to do what I want. That's why I am going to law school, to do a job that I want to do.

Different worlds, different needs. Last time I say it, choosing a law school isn't a one size fits all process. If it was there would only be the elite schools and only elite lawyers.

Have a good night, and good luck on your law firm dreams.


I love it when 0Ls say they have a love for the law lulz


Haha yeah its sort of cute. Aww, he wuvs it.

User avatar
atlantisdan
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby atlantisdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:56 pm

You guys are awesome! I'm glad to preview the law school comaraderie.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:59 pm

atlantisdan wrote:You guys are awesome! I'm glad to preview the law school comaraderie.


We're just messing with you, dude. People throw the phrase "i love the law" around a lot and no one is quite sure what it means. And its only people who aren't in law school who say it, thus making it that much more confusing. But yeah, totally just joking around.

User avatar
atlantisdan
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby atlantisdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:23 pm

I didn't take offense. But I do think that as well intentioned as a lot of these comments are, it would be beneficial to understand, that there is a world outside the top 100. Its a different world with different needs.

Any school above a TTT would grossly "over qualify" me for the career or community that I wish to serve. I have applied and have been accepted to a couple T100 schools, and may still chose one of them, but my preferred school is The U of Mississippi because it best fits my needs.

It has been interesting seeing the perspective from the top down.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:26 pm

atlantisdan wrote:I didn't take offense. But I do think that as well intentioned as a lot of these comments are, it would be beneficial to understand, that there is a world outside the top 100. Its a different world with different needs.

Any school above a TTT would grossly "over qualify" me for the career or community that I wish to serve. I have applied and have been accepted to a couple T100 schools, and may still chose one of them, but my preferred school is The U of Mississippi because it best fits my needs.

It has been interesting seeing the perspective from the top down.


I don't doubt a word you say, and to be completely honest, I hadn't read a single comment of yours. I only saw the "i love the law" comment and found a shameless reason to make a joke. Kudos to you for picking out a goal and finding what sounds like a very smart way of achieving it. You bring a degree of level-headedness that is severely lacking on these forums at times.

User avatar
atlantisdan
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby atlantisdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks. It happens, Being a 0L I did not know that the sentiment was so cliche'.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby kwais » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:48 pm

dakatz wrote:
rad law wrote:
atlantisdan wrote:Or illogical.

Not everyone has a desire to work in a law firm. I certianly don't.

I do have a love for the law and the opportunity to use it to help peole.And the schools that I have considered will allow me to do what I want. That's why I am going to law school, to do a job that I want to do.

Different worlds, different needs. Last time I say it, choosing a law school isn't a one size fits all process. If it was there would only be the elite schools and only elite lawyers.

Have a good night, and good luck on your law firm dreams.


I love it when 0Ls say they have a love for the law lulz


Haha yeah its sort of cute. Aww, he wuvs it.


lol, when I read this, I pictured one of those little sidekicks who repeats whatever his tough guy master says and then looks at them for approval.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm

kwais wrote:
dakatz wrote:
rad law wrote:
atlantisdan wrote:Or illogical.

Not everyone has a desire to work in a law firm. I certianly don't.

I do have a love for the law and the opportunity to use it to help peole.And the schools that I have considered will allow me to do what I want. That's why I am going to law school, to do a job that I want to do.

Different worlds, different needs. Last time I say it, choosing a law school isn't a one size fits all process. If it was there would only be the elite schools and only elite lawyers.

Have a good night, and good luck on your law firm dreams.


I love it when 0Ls say they have a love for the law lulz


Haha yeah its sort of cute. Aww, he wuvs it.


lol, when I read this, I pictured one of those little sidekicks who repeats whatever his tough guy master says and then looks at them for approval.


Funny thing is, so did I :)

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby beachbum » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:53 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I think, assuming that the schools are ranked within, say, five or ten places of each other, that culture of the school should definitely be an important factor. It's not just about being happy, or about going to school in a region where you'd like to work. I've heard time and time again from lawyers that the people you go to law school with will be your future clients and connections and a great source of business. If you go to a school that's a bad fit for you, the chances that you will make those close connections are lower. Obviously, any normal person can find a small group of friends at any school, but if you're on a school's fringe rather than tied into its mainstream culture, you're not going to be able to reap the rewards of a significant social network down the line.

I say this as someone who might end up choosing Berkeley or University of Texas over Harvard. Yes, seriously. I'm hoping to get accepted to Stanford or Yale to have the option of staying in the "top three", but I am willing to take a rankings drop to get a) a substantial scholarship and b) a school culture that fits me better. And I feel I would be justified in doing so.

Now, all of my decisions revolve around schools that are more or less T14 or T20. I definitely don't think you should choose a school ranked, say, 80, over one that's ranked 20 just because you fit in better. There exists such a diverse range of schools in each rankings range that you should be able to find a good fit within the highest range you qualify for. And if you only can make it to a third-tier range of schools, as has been said here before many times, you might want to think really hard about law school.


Great post.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby thecilent » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:03 pm

beachbum wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:I think, assuming that the schools are ranked within, say, five or ten places of each other, that culture of the school should definitely be an important factor. It's not just about being happy, or about going to school in a region where you'd like to work. I've heard time and time again from lawyers that the people you go to law school with will be your future clients and connections and a great source of business. If you go to a school that's a bad fit for you, the chances that you will make those close connections are lower. Obviously, any normal person can find a small group of friends at any school, but if you're on a school's fringe rather than tied into its mainstream culture, you're not going to be able to reap the rewards of a significant social network down the line.

I say this as someone who might end up choosing Berkeley or University of Texas over Harvard. Yes, seriously. I'm hoping to get accepted to Stanford or Yale to have the option of staying in the "top three", but I am willing to take a rankings drop to get a) a substantial scholarship and b) a school culture that fits me better. And I feel I would be justified in doing so.

Now, all of my decisions revolve around schools that are more or less T14 or T20. I definitely don't think you should choose a school ranked, say, 80, over one that's ranked 20 just because you fit in better. There exists such a diverse range of schools in each rankings range that you should be able to find a good fit within the highest range you qualify for. And if you only can make it to a third-tier range of schools, as has been said here before many times, you might want to think really hard about law school.


Great post.

Great post, but still a little crazy to take ut over harvard, unless one wants to definitely practice in texas. Like for real

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby beachbum » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:12 pm

thecilent wrote:
beachbum wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:I think, assuming that the schools are ranked within, say, five or ten places of each other, that culture of the school should definitely be an important factor. It's not just about being happy, or about going to school in a region where you'd like to work. I've heard time and time again from lawyers that the people you go to law school with will be your future clients and connections and a great source of business. If you go to a school that's a bad fit for you, the chances that you will make those close connections are lower. Obviously, any normal person can find a small group of friends at any school, but if you're on a school's fringe rather than tied into its mainstream culture, you're not going to be able to reap the rewards of a significant social network down the line.

I say this as someone who might end up choosing Berkeley or University of Texas over Harvard. Yes, seriously. I'm hoping to get accepted to Stanford or Yale to have the option of staying in the "top three", but I am willing to take a rankings drop to get a) a substantial scholarship and b) a school culture that fits me better. And I feel I would be justified in doing so.

Now, all of my decisions revolve around schools that are more or less T14 or T20. I definitely don't think you should choose a school ranked, say, 80, over one that's ranked 20 just because you fit in better. There exists such a diverse range of schools in each rankings range that you should be able to find a good fit within the highest range you qualify for. And if you only can make it to a third-tier range of schools, as has been said here before many times, you might want to think really hard about law school.


Great post.

Great post, but still a little crazy to take ut over harvard, unless one wants to definitely practice in texas. Like for real


I don't think it's crazy at all. If you're looking at full cost at Harvard vs. zero cost at UT, you have a strong preference (in terms of student culture) towards UT, and you're good with working in Texas, then this seems like a solid choice to me.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby thecilent » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:14 pm

beachbum wrote:
thecilent wrote:
beachbum wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:I think, assuming that the schools are ranked within, say, five or ten places of each other, that culture of the school should definitely be an important factor. It's not just about being happy, or about going to school in a region where you'd like to work. I've heard time and time again from lawyers that the people you go to law school with will be your future clients and connections and a great source of business. If you go to a school that's a bad fit for you, the chances that you will make those close connections are lower. Obviously, any normal person can find a small group of friends at any school, but if you're on a school's fringe rather than tied into its mainstream culture, you're not going to be able to reap the rewards of a significant social network down the line.

I say this as someone who might end up choosing Berkeley or University of Texas over Harvard. Yes, seriously. I'm hoping to get accepted to Stanford or Yale to have the option of staying in the "top three", but I am willing to take a rankings drop to get a) a substantial scholarship and b) a school culture that fits me better. And I feel I would be justified in doing so.

Now, all of my decisions revolve around schools that are more or less T14 or T20. I definitely don't think you should choose a school ranked, say, 80, over one that's ranked 20 just because you fit in better. There exists such a diverse range of schools in each rankings range that you should be able to find a good fit within the highest range you qualify for. And if you only can make it to a third-tier range of schools, as has been said here before many times, you might want to think really hard about law school.


Great post.

Great post, but still a little crazy to take ut over harvard, unless one wants to definitely practice in texas. Like for real


I don't think it's crazy at all. If you're looking at full cost at Harvard vs. zero cost at UT, you have a strong preference (in terms of student culture) towards UT, and you're good with working in Texas, then this seems like a solid choice to me.

Yeah, agreed. But if you don't want to work in texas, then it's not a solid choice.

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Culture of school vs Ranking in Decision Process

Postby juliachild-ish » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:33 am

Well, I'm definitely not set on Texas--I haven't received a financial aid package from Berkeley yet, so that might change things. Not to mention Stanford and Yale potential acceptances, which would change my decision process considerably. But yeah, paying basically no tuition to UT plus pretty low COL seems like a great deal to me! I wouldn't mind at all staying in TX, and Austin is super amazing, so I'd love to live there for three years or more. But, as another option, I have spoken to several recruiters at law firms here in AZ (my home state) who say UT actually places quite well in the AZ market.

/derailing thread




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crumb cake and 1 guest