Visit law schools alone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
sidhesadie

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm definitely not bringing my parents, but I'm 34.

I will be bringing my boyfriend to the social things and going by myself to the classes, tour, meetings.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Bringing your parents/allowing them to come, whether true or not, makes the potential student look like someone who's not mature enough to run their own life or make their own decisions. Invite your parents to come and visit after you enroll, that way YOU can give them a tour. Significantly less embarassing.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Fuck it. They're paying and they want to go. So they can go. And I don't give shit what the rest of the prospective students think. In a perfect world, they would stay home. But honestly, asking them to do so is a dick move.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Fuck it. They're paying and they want to go. So they can go. And I don't give shit what the rest of the prospective students think. In a perfect world, they would stay home. But honestly, asking them to do so is a dick move.

Beta man, beta.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:40 pm

my old man is going along for the drive to a school with me. However, he has been known to go to the bars and throw a few back with me and some of my friends. Its not a that big of a deal. I really dont want to drive 12 hours alone, and I allready told him that its fine- so its no big deal.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:43 pm

northwood wrote:my old man is going along for the drive to a school with me. However, he has been known to go to the bars and throw a few back with me and some of my friends. Its not a that big of a deal. I really dont want to drive 12 hours alone, and I allready told him that its fine- so its no big deal.

Last time my mom visited me somewhere, she ended up having a chugging contest with some bros, failing miserably at pong, and disappearing to get high. I ended up making her hot tea while she puked all night.

I'm just sayin, mind the line.. lol

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:47 pm

my dad lives in the city where my ASW will be so i guess i'm "bringing" him. i doubt he'll come to the official events but my dad's kind of a bro so i'm sure he'll want to take everyone out for drinks.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:47 pm

arism87 wrote:
northwood wrote:my old man is going along for the drive to a school with me. However, he has been known to go to the bars and throw a few back with me and some of my friends. Its not a that big of a deal. I really dont want to drive 12 hours alone, and I allready told him that its fine- so its no big deal.

Last time my mom visited me somewhere, she ended up having a chugging contest with some bros, failing miserably at pong, and disappearing to get high. I ended up making her hot tea while she puked all night.

I'm just sayin, mind the line.. lol

are we related? :mrgreen:

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:48 pm

fatduck wrote:my dad lives in the city where my ASW will be so i guess i'm "bringing" him. i doubt he'll come to the official events but my dad's kind of a bro so i'm sure he'll want to take everyone out for drinks.

Hey, if free drinks are involved, no one judges.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Why would you care what others think? Some of the people you meet wont end up going to the school, and there is a chance you wont either.

Its really not that big of a deal

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 pm

arism87 wrote:
fatduck wrote:my dad lives in the city where my ASW will be so i guess i'm "bringing" him. i doubt he'll come to the official events but my dad's kind of a bro so i'm sure he'll want to take everyone out for drinks.

agreed

plus i'm in my late 20's and am no longer insecure about being seen with my parents

probably helps that my parents are cool

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Fuck it. They're paying and they want to go. So they can go. And I don't give shit what the rest of the prospective students think. In a perfect world, they would stay home. But honestly, asking them to do so is a dick move.

Yea, shit son if they're paying for it fucking do it. I'd let my parents hold my hand and lead me around at ASWs if it meant them paying for LS

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 pm

dr123 wrote:

Yea, shit son if they're paying for it fucking do it. I'd let my parents hold my hand and lead me around at ASWs if it meant them paying for LS

+$200,000

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:16 pm

fatduck wrote:
arism87 wrote:

agreed

plus i'm in my late 20's and am no longer insecure about being seen with my parents

probably helps that my parents are cool

+1. although i am only taking my dad. I think both parents would be strange, but if you have a cool parent- then who cares- if you are going to look down at me because of this, then i want nothing to do with you in school.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:34 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:What if you are straight from undergrad, and your parents are bankrolling law school? (and insist on visiting with you)

I'd do A LOT of embarrassing things for 200K.

Bring them if you must but let them know that it's abnormal.

They just haven't realized that I don't really give two shits about what the campus looks like. I care about getting a job in the area that I want to work in. I am picking schools based off on that. They will say "Oh, look how pretty this building is."

But I guess I will have to shut my mouth and accept it, considering I will not see a single bill for my JD.

I would take my parents, grandparents, the whole family plus anyone else who wants to come if they would pay $200,000 for my law school education. Who cares what other prospectives think?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:56 pm

northwood wrote:Why would you care what others think? Some of the people you meet wont end up going to the school, and there is a chance you wont either.

Couldn't agree with this more. I have seen a lot of posts on this thread with something like: 'I'm 30+ years old, so my parents aren't coming. It makes you look immature.'
Well I'm 29 and married, so I realize that the immature thing is to think having your parents with you makes you look bad. I'm mature and confident enough to not give a damn if people think I'm childish for bringing my folks. This is a really big deal in my life, and my parents and their opinion is important to me. So yeah, they have come with me to visit schools. If you saw us and thought I was uncool, oh well.

bmore

Postby bmore » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:11 pm

Capitol A wrote:
northwood wrote:Why would you care what others think? Some of the people you meet wont end up going to the school, and there is a chance you wont either.

Couldn't agree with this more. I have seen a lot of posts on this thread with something like: 'I'm 30+ years old, so my parents aren't coming. It makes you look immature.'
Well I'm 29 and married, so I realize that the immature thing is to think having your parents with you makes you look bad. I'm mature and confident enough to not give a damn if people think I'm childish for bringing my folks. This is a really big deal in my life, and my parents and their opinion is important to me. So yeah, they have come with me to visit schools. If you saw us and thought I was uncool, oh well.

I am 21 and really don't care what others think either. I do usually hear comments like, can I borrow your parents. But our visits are over. I do think I will be going to ASWs alone. It depends on my access to transportation and lodging. I am still a student without a vehicle. And I appreciate the help.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:15 pm

admitted students weekends are for the students.The ones Im going to are the final canidates for me to go to law school. I will be going alone to them, as I need to see how I would do in the environemnt, and this is the only test run that I will have an opportunity to get to feel what its like.

When i visited each school- i figured the more close, trusted brains that I could use to help make a ranking system, the better.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:17 pm

Why does this thread seem to be solely relevant for the female TLS population? Please guys, don't tell me you're also worried about mommy accompanying you to law school visits :lol:

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:18 pm

speaking of admitted student days. Whats the protocol if you signed up to go to an asd and you are not longer interested?

I can care less if my dad comes with me to visit. hes been known to party with me and my bros.

Postby 730 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Yes. Visit alone.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:lol at visiting a law school with your mommy.

My mom wants to go on law school visits with me :| I dont really mind though because she is usually spot on about these kind of decisions.

Just don't bring her to ASW.

Soooo credited.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 pm

Im bringing my mom on Friday when I go visit GW. We are very close and I trust her judgment, plus she really wants to see it. Im the 1st person in my family to finished undergrad, let alone get into law school, and she is super excited about it so I dont mind her tagging along during the 1 hour tour. She is obviously not staying for the class visit or ASD in April.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Pretty hilarious that MrPapagiorgio, the guy that trolls Cooley, has to visit law school with his parents.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:20 pm

kehoema2 wrote:Pretty hilarious that MrPapagiorgio, the guy that trolls Cooley, has to visit law school with his parents.

+1

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”