Visit law schools alone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
mz253

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby mz253 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 pm

i went back to my post and i thought i was asking if there are people visiting law school alone. for my case, no parents and no significant other, and definitely no friends would pay for over $500 to fly to the other side of the country. wonder if i'll be the very few that visit law schools alone?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:57 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Lol dude, don't let your parents go with you.

Lol dude, don't do shit that could screw up getting two hundred thousand dollars.

Who's parents who committed to paying for the child's law school would back out b/c they are not allowed to attend a law school visit? You TLS'ers over-dramatize everything.

I can totally see my dad doing that. If, that is, he were willing to contribute at all. But that's exactly the kind of shit he pulled when he was paying the bills.

Edit: wow, why did I think that was just posted? Pages have happened since then. Just kidding...

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 pm

What if my stepmom wants to come, and she's my age, has an accent, and is super hot? Can I bring her to ASW events?

Just kidding. She doesn't want to come..

Whatsawahooanyway

Postby Whatsawahooanyway » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 pm

arism87 wrote:What if my stepmom wants to come, and she's my age, has an accent, and is super hot? Can I bring her to ASW events?

Please do. I hear she wants to be at UVA March 18

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Whatsawahooanyway wrote:
arism87 wrote:What if my stepmom wants to come, and she's my age, has an accent, and is super hot? Can I bring her to ASW events?

Please do. I hear she wants to be at UVA March 18

ahahaa actually, she WILL be at that one

(to see my sister run, not to accompany me)

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 pm

I may be coming to a few ASW's with my Mom, who is also one of my best friends, to have a second opinion. It'll depend on the stipend and if she foots the bill, she can come to as many as she wants. I dont give to craps about TLS opinions on that one. With apps out at 22 schools, I definitely want an extra set of eyes and ears before decision time rolls around.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:10 pm

I am totally planning to bring my parents to out-of-state ASWs. If they come, they'll pay for my travel.

Also, them coming with me means we will tour the school/grounds/neighborhood separately and they will NOT be coming to any official events with me.

My whole philosophy is, hey, it makes them super happy and doesn't hurt me. They are good at respecting boundaries and extremely excited for me.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:12 pm

akili wrote:I am totally planning to bring my parents to out-of-state ASWs. If they come, they'll pay for my travel.

Also, them coming with me means we will tour the school/grounds/neighborhood separately and they will NOT be coming to any official events with me.

My whole philosophy is, hey, it makes them super happy and doesn't hurt me. They are good at respecting boundaries and extremely excited for me.

Everyone still remembers that HGL fell down at the Ice Cream Social. They will remember that you brought your mommy to ASW.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
akili wrote:I am totally planning to bring my parents to out-of-state ASWs. If they come, they'll pay for my travel.

Everyone still remembers that HGL fell down at the Ice Cream Social. They will remember that you brought your mommy to ASW.

I doubt anyone will see them since they won't be at the official events at all...If someone "catches" me walking around campus with my parents, then gasp! I guess I will live in infamy.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Yep. I'll drop my mom off at the law school library with a Grisham book and she'll be happy for the official events. I will have her tour the neighborhood with me though. I am horrible at gauging neighborhoods (and she has her real estate license and a much better grasp of the sort).

I could care less if the other students remember I brought my mother to ASW. Sometimes I like better than my significant other ;)

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:21 pm

mz253 wrote:i went back to my post and i thought i was asking if there are people visiting law school alone. for my case, no parents and no significant other, and definitely no friends would pay for over $500 to fly to the other side of the country. wonder if i'll be the very few that visit law schools alone?

Sorry, your thread got sort of hijacked and I participated. To answer your question: NO. You will be at an advantage being alone, because you will be free to have impromptu social outings with the students at the schools. These are a gold mine of information -- much more than the staged events. And, you will be in the majority by far if you show up alone.

Hope this helps.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:21 pm

akili wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I doubt anyone will see them since they won't be at the official events at all...If someone "catches" me walking around campus with my parents, then gasp! I guess I will live in infamy.

ASW is a good place to meet people. Not having to constantly go find your mom at the hotel so she isn't bored.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:23 pm

Haha she isn't a puppy, she can amuse herself!

Also, my dad would probably be the one joining me. Just for clarification.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 pm

mz253 wrote:i went back to my post and i thought i was asking if there are people visiting law school alone. for my case, no parents and no significant other, and definitely no friends would pay for over $500 to fly to the other side of the country. wonder if i'll be the very few that visit law schools alone?

i'm planning on going to asw alone

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:57 pm

mz253 wrote:Really not sure who can go with me since I will be flying across the country. Any of you guys have experiences visiting law schools alone? Will it be terrible? Do most people come with their parents or significant others?

Thank God my family's too poor to afford travel expenses for two or three people. +1 for poverty.

Nah, I'm not that poor. Well, I am. But regardless, I think most parents would be cool with being told, "Hey, mom/dad/parental figure, I really just need to feel this out on my own. I need to commune with the Universe and look deep within myself, and your presence may negatively affect my energy," etc.

Your parents can always visit in the month or two before school starts, anyway.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:06 am

NZA wrote:
mz253 wrote:Really not sure who can go with me since I will be flying across the country. Any of you guys have experiences visiting law schools alone? Will it be terrible? Do most people come with their parents or significant others?

Thank God my family's too poor to afford travel expenses for two or three people. +1 for poverty.

Nah, I'm not that poor. Well, I am. But regardless, I think most parents would be cool with being told, "Hey, mom/dad/parental figure, I really just need to feel this out on my own. I need to commune with the Universe and look deep within myself, and your presence may negatively affect my energy," etc.

lol @ "your presence may negatively affect my energy"

good shit. Way to harsh my mellow, mom, dad.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:08 am

TommyK wrote:
NZA wrote:

lol @ "your presence may negatively affect my energy"

good shit. Way to harsh my mellow, mom, dad.

Exactly. If you have your parents along, you're probably going to be like, "Fuckfuckfuckfuck I hope no one notices I'm with my parents fuck i'm so uncool" and sweating and paying more attention at giving awkward, painful smiles at the other unfortunate souls who have parents with them than the actual important shit that's going down.

katjust

Postby katjust » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:50 pm

While I do think it is a bit weird to bring parents to ASW, and people will probably secretly make fun of one who does it, I think that there is nothing inherently wrong with it. It is actually rather immature to look down on people who bring their parents. ASW is not really that big of a deal. It is informal and is supposed to be an introduction to the ins-and-outs of the school.

alex_cryp

Postby alex_cryp » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:55 pm

My parents went with me to visits. There were always other people with parents there too, so it wasn't that bad. I wanted them to just sort of tour by themselves while I took the "official tour" but my Dad pulled this big guilt trip on me about how he gave up an important meeting to come with me and that if I didn't want an informed opinion, then why did I ask him to come. . .He had a point, so I just sucked it up.

Going to ASW ALONE though for sure!

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:11 pm

alex_cryp wrote:My parents went with me to visits. There were always other people with parents there too, so it wasn't that bad. I wanted them to just sort of tour by themselves while I took the "official tour" but my Dad pulled this big guilt trip on me about how he gave up an important meeting to come with me and that if I didn't want an informed opinion, then why did I ask him to come. . .He had a point, so I just sucked it up.

Going to ASW ALONE though for sure!

Lol... definitely understand that.

I have only visited 3 (Duke, Georgetown, GW) of my 22 schools. I live close to NYC, so I hope to visit NYU, Columbia, and Fordham. If I visit any of these schools before ASW/ASDs, I will bring my mom on those trips instead.... good idea.

stintez

Postby stintez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:27 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:don't bring your parents, but if you have an attractive girlfriend, definitely bring her, you will earn respect from your prospective classmates.

+1 :!:

bmore

Postby bmore » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Going to ASWs alone but had a parent on most of my visits. They paid and made a mini vacay out of it. Mom stayed at hotel when I went to class but did self tour with me. Then took me to a pro sporting event. Ditto dad at other campus (college game). They are footing 2/3 of the bill. Win-win.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm

My mother came to visit a few weeks ago and wanted to go to Berkeley, so we checked out the law school. She wanted to talk to some of the students in the hallway, but I stopped her. It would have been mortifying - a 28-year-old having her mommy do the talking for her.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:30 pm

sarahh wrote:My mother came to visit a few weeks ago and wanted to go to Berkeley, so we checked out the law school. She wanted to talk to some of the students in the hallway, but I stopped her. It would have been mortifying - a 28-year-old having her mommy do the talking for her.

Had a 30 minute argument with my Mom about why I wasn't going to bring her to WUSTL ASW. I'll be sure to keep in mind that if a kid at ASW has a parent with them, the kid is probably hating it.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:22 pm

Hannibal wrote:
sarahh wrote:My mother came to visit a few weeks ago and wanted to go to Berkeley, so we checked out the law school. She wanted to talk to some of the students in the hallway, but I stopped her. It would have been mortifying - a 28-year-old having her mommy do the talking for her.

Had a 30 minute argument with my Mom about why I wasn't going to bring her to WUSTL ASW. I'll be sure to keep in mind that if a kid at ASW has a parent with them, the kid is probably hating it.

Let your mom come and let her hang out on the Loop!
(I may be that kid!)

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”