Visit law schools alone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
abby3211

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby abby3211 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:10 am

Why is everyone so anti-parents for a visit?? No, they shouldn't go to admitted student days/weekends or be in the meeting with the dean. But, even as adults most people want second opinions before making major purchases (and really thats what paying for law school is). Besides, as long as your parent can treat you like you are an adult - allowing you to ask the questions & guide the conversations, I don't see why having them along would offend anyone. I know I value my parents' ability to evaluate the honesty of someone and it can be useful to have someone else to compare notes with after the visit.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:55 am

dresden doll wrote:
fltanglab wrote:I toured three schools and I honestly felt so embarrassed with my travel mate, a freshman in college, coming along on my second tour that I politely implied that he entertain himself during my next tour. The first tour I took, I was good friends with the student giving the tour and when he told me who else was taking the tour, he said "one other guy and his girlfriend" with such derision that I asked him what the big deal was. His response was, "Is he picking a school or is she picking the school?"

And what if GF is considering moving with him? He sounds like a dick who needs to mind his own business a bit better.

I agree, I'm going to all my campus visits with my S.O. If we're moving halfway across the country so that I can attend law school then I think it's only fair that we both have a say in where we end up. I will obviously have more of a say over which LS but he'll have an equal say over which city.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:25 am

so is it safe to say that the consensus is that parents r ok for a random off the record visit but not ok for anything official like asw?
Last edited by thederangedwang on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:43 am

thederangedwang wrote:so is it safe to say that the consensus is that parents r ok for a random off the record visit but not ok for anything official like asw?

Yes. If you want to show them around on your own time, that's fine (probably a good idea, even). But it would be totally inappropriate to bring them to ASW. As one of the earlier commenters said, it would be like bringing them to your first day of work.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:28 pm

TommyK wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:lol at visiting a law school with your mommy.

My mom wants to go on law school visits with me :| I dont really mind though because she is usually spot on about these kind of decisions.

Kindly explain that you're beginning your professional career and that it is no more acceptable to bring your parent to an open house than it is to bring a parent to the first day of work. While you value her insight, you need to begin setting forth a professional, adult foot towards your future colleagues, professors, and administrators.

Unless she's paying for law school and that's the only way she's willing to pay for it. If that's the case, swallow the pride and enjoy the parent-sponsored free ride.

What if your parent is a lawyer?

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:32 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:What if you are straight from undergrad, and your parents are bankrolling law school? (and insist on visiting with you)

I would be jealous. If they're giving you 150K, let them do as they please.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
TommyK wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:lol at visiting a law school with your mommy.

My mom wants to go on law school visits with me :| I dont really mind though because she is usually spot on about these kind of decisions.

Kindly explain that you're beginning your professional career and that it is no more acceptable to bring your parent to an open house than it is to bring a parent to the first day of work. While you value her insight, you need to begin setting forth a professional, adult foot towards your future colleagues, professors, and administrators.

Unless she's paying for law school and that's the only way she's willing to pay for it. If that's the case, swallow the pride and enjoy the parent-sponsored free ride.

What if your parent is a lawyer?

Why would that make a difference?

Jesus, people. Cut the fucking cord already.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Jesus, people. Cut the fucking cord already.[/quote]

I would think that they would be better at evaluating a law school than a non-lawyer.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
I would think that they would be better at evaluating a law school than a non-lawyer.

If you're that desperate for someone else to tell you what to do then give them the school's website or visit the school with them separately from ASW (but if you meet with anyone from admissions or sit in on a class or anything than for the love of God don't bring your parents along to that).

But no, your parent doesn't have any special insight into picking a law school just because they went to law school 20+ years ago.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

If you're that desperate for someone else to tell you what to do then give them the school's website or visit the school with them separately from ASW (but if you meet with anyone from admissions or sit in on a class or anything than for the love of God don't bring your parents along to that).

But no, your parent doesn't have any special insight into picking a law school just because they went to law school 20+ years ago.

Well, I partially agree with you there.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Holy shit stop dragging this thread up from the grave. Every question regarding parents has been answered throughout this thread.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”